[sci.bio] Restriction Mapping and Software and Theory...

wayner@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) (10/04/88)

Does anyone have any references on software to do restriction
mappings of DNA? Has anyone looked at the problem mathematically?
Has anyone looked at the problem from the standpoint of a
computer scientist?

If anyone has any references, I would appreciate an
answer.

My two addresses are:

wayner@svax.cs.cornell.edu
wayner@crnlcs.bitnet

Thank you.

Peter Wayner

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (10/04/88)

In article <21491@cornell.UUCP> wayner@cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:
> Does anyone have any references on software to do restriction mappings of
> DNA? Has anyone looked at the problem mathematically?  Has anyone looked
> at the problem from the standpoint of a computer scientist?

	Which problem are you talking about?  Given the lengths of the
fragments resulting from single and multiple digests construct a classical
restriction map, or given a sequence find all the restriction sites in it?
If it's the former, I can't help you much.

	If it's the latter, what you want to do is wait for the next issue
of Computer Applications in the Biosciences in which I have a paper
describing an algorithm for doing this in time proportional to the length of
the sequence and independent of the number of restriction enzymes.  To the
best of my knowledge, it beats the pants of any other currently available
algorithms.  To be fair, Mount and Conrad (Nucleic Acids Research (1986)
14:443-454) make mention of a similar algorithm, but unfortunately do not
describe the algorithm in any detail.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

dd@beta.lanl.gov (Dan Davison) (10/04/88)

In article <21491@cornell.UUCP>, wayner@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:
> Does anyone have any references on software to do restriction
> mappings of DNA?

At what level?  Taking a restriction digest and assembling a unique
map (if possible)? Prediction on what fragments will result from genomic
cloning and sequencing?

>Has anyone looked at the problem mathematically?

Depends on your question.  For assembly of restriction maps, there have
been a few attempts to analyze mathematically; there were some papers
by Mike Waterman in Nucleic Acids Research a few years ago.

Mike and Eric (Erik?) Lander have an article in a issue of Genomics
earlier this year on the subject.

> Has anyone looked at the problem from the standpoint of a
> computer scientist?

Since the problem you are asking about is unclear, I can't answer this
exactly.  The answer is yes for both cases but to different degrees.

> If anyone has any references, I would appreciate an
> answer.
> Peter Wayner

Send me e-mail that goes to my office (dd@lanl.gov) and I will get them
out.
--
dan davison/theoretical biology/t-10 ms k710/los alamos national laboratory
los alamos, nm 875545/dd@lanl.gov (arpa)/dd@lanl.uucp(new)/..cmcl2!lanl!dd