[sci.bio] Two different colored eyes

py8j@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (11/03/88)

I'm trying to find out about people with eyes of different color.
I have a friend with a green eye and a brown eye.  He has only
once met someone like this, and we both are interested in anecdotes
or information on how it happens genetically, as well as how often
it happens.  Anything at all!

Mail might be best...Thanks a lot!

Patti Kelly

hes@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Henry Schaffer) (11/08/88)

In article <17238@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU>, py8j@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
> I'm trying to find out about people with eyes of different color.
> I have a friend with a green eye and a brown eye.   ...
> Patti Kelly

  The journal of the American Genetics Association (Journal of Genetics?)
once had a front cover with a color picture of such an individual.  It
was quite a while ago (1970's?), and there was an article about the
individual who was a somatic mosiac.  The author (or an author) of the
article is Dr. Carey H. Bostian.  (He has since retired from ncsu.)

--henry schaffer  n c state univ

artm@phred.UUCP (Curmudgeon) (11/09/88)

In article <17238@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> py8j@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Patti Kelly) writes:

>I'm trying to find out about people with eyes of different color.
>
>Mail might be best...Thanks a lot!

(True... but our mailer couldn't find a path, so:)

A friend of mine has one brown eye and one blue eye.  When he was born
they were the same color (brown, I think) and one of them changed in his
early teens.  No change since then, and he is now in his mid-thirties.

One thing of note is that he had osteogenisis imperfecta, a genetic disorder
that causes bones not to solidify in childhood.  One of the common
characteristics that accompanies OI is that the sclera of the eyes have a blue
tint.

Another thing--I knew him well for over ten years before I first noticed
his different-colored eyes.  He says that it's something people generally don't
notice right away.  I imagine it's not something we're conditioned to watch for!

The above opinions are mine and in no wat the responsibility of my employers or
associates.  Aren't disclaimers fun???
                                                  Art Marriott
                                                  Physio-Control Corp.
                                               ...uw-beaver!tikal!phred!artm

CUPTON@UALTAVM.BITNET (User name Unknwon) (11/11/88)

In article <17238@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU>, py8j@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
>I'm trying to find out about people with eyes of different color.

This occurs quite frequently with Huskies, but I've never heard of it
anywhere else.

Chris

mkr@kestrel.Philips.Com (Michael K. Reed) (11/12/88)

In article <17238@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> py8j@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Patti Kelly) writes:

>I'm trying to find out about people with eyes of different color.
>
>Mail might be best...Thanks a lot!

	I'm not a bio person, but this might be of general
	interest:

	A girl I new in high school had radially striped eyes!!
	The coloured part of the eye had bands, alternating
	brown and black, running from the pupil to the white
	of the eye.  About 8 bands in each eye, i.e 4 black
	and four brown.  They looked much like spokes.

	Pretty unusual, or WHAT?!?!!!

				Michael

  | Michael Reed                     !allegra----                  |
  | mkr@philabs.philips.com                      \                 |
  | AI Department                    !steinmetz--->---!philabs!mkr |
  | Philips Laboratories                         /                 |
  | (914) 945-6069                   !rutgers----                  |

ian@media.UUCP (Ian Poynter) (11/17/88)

In article <194@UALTAVM.BITNET> CUPTON@UALTAVM.BITNET writes:
>In article <17238@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU>, py8j@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
>>I'm trying to find out about people with eyes of different color.
>
>This occurs quite frequently with Huskies, but I've never heard of it
>anywhere else.
>
>Chris

Well, my mother has one blue eye and one which is almost entirely brown and
I am fairly sure she is not a huskie...  (more information on request
by e-mail).

--
Ian Poynter - Media Cybernetics		Phone: (301) 495-3305
Internet: (new) ian%media@pentagon-ai.army.mil (but too new to work?)

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (11/25/88)

I had a granduncle with two different colored eyes.  He was a brown eyed
missionary sent to Norway.  He lost an eye, and the only glass eyes they
had were blue.  (This is a story I've been told, never met the man myself.)

I have (to describe it in a sensational fashion) two pupils in one eye.
If you look very carefully at my left eye, you can see what appears to
be a big black speck floating in front of my iris.
I think it's actually a hole.  I've tried shining a real strong light at
it, and it doesn't reflect any.

I've noticed a difference in the color perception of my eyes.  If I close
my right eye and see through my left eye, everything has a slightly bluish
cast compared to vice versa, which gives everything a yellowish cast.  By
switching back and forth quickly between my eyes, the effect is especially
noticable.  It is more noticable in natural light than artificial light.

Mark Thorson

Federal Airborne Express Mail
"When you say 'overnight'"
"We say 'How high?'"

CUPTON@UALTAVM.BITNET (User name Unknwon) (11/29/88)

In article <11761@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
Doesn't  David Bowie have different coloured eyes?
Chris Upton   cupton@ualatavm

In article <212@UALTAVM.BITNET> CUPTON@UALTAVM.BITNET writes:
>In article <11761@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>Doesn't  David Bowie have different coloured eyes?

He has one pupil that doesn't dilate.  I don't know about the color.

				--Blair
				  "Blue, no doubt."