[sci.bio] Snails 'n' Squabs

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (11/25/88)

Can anyone recommend a good book or article on raising snails commercially?
If you raise snails, and can describe your process in a letter, I would
be glad to receive it.  If it's brief, I suppose a lot of people would like
to see a posting.

If you know the fate of Plymouth Rock Squabs, I would like to know.  I read
the excellent book HOW by Elmer Rice (1945 edition), and I wonder whatever
happened to his business.  Can anyone tell me where to order squab-raising
supplies (like breeding stock)?  (Squabs are pigeons;  all dark meat, egg
to table in 30 days;  most efficient form of fowl meat production)

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (11/26/88)

In article <11764@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
#Can anyone recommend a good book or article on raising snails commercially?
#If you raise snails, and can describe your process in a letter, I would
#be glad to receive it.  If it's brief, I suppose a lot of people would like
#to see a posting.

Plant a garden ;-) ;-) ;-)

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Bill Jefferys

--
Glend.	I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hot.	Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they come when you

hes@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Henry Schaffer) (11/30/88)

writes:
> If you know the fate of Plymouth Rock Squabs, I would like to know.  I read
> the excellent book HOW by Elmer Rice (1945 edition), and I wonder whatever
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^
could you tell me more about him?  If he had a chicken farm in Yorktown
Heights NY before WW II and then was on the Cornell U. faculty - I can tell
you what happened to his chicken farm (I grew up on a later farm on that
same land.)

> happened to his business.  Can anyone tell me where to order squab-raising
> supplies (like breeding stock)?  (Squabs are pigeons;  all dark meat, egg
> to table in 30 days;  most efficient form of fowl meat production)

Are these squabs pigeons or chickens?   "Plymouth Rock" is a breed of
chicken, and it does make good eating at the "squab" or "game hen"
size - even though it is larger than those.  Often a Cornish Game Hen
by Plymouth Rock cross is used ("Cornish Rock") which is really fabulous
at those small sizes.

--henry schaffer  n c state univ

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (12/01/88)

Elmer Rice was originally a journalist in Boston.  He later raised pigeons,
selling breeding stock and supplies.  In 1938, he wrote the first edition of
HOW, a book whic described, in great detail with lots of stories and anecdotes
thrown in, the operation of a small business raising pigeons for meat.  I
think this is best book on business administration ever written.  It is
written for about a high school-level mentality, but with such wit and genius
that it really stands out as an uncommon achievement in the art of
propaganda.  I felt like building a coop and raising pigeons myself after
reading it.

His company was called Plymouth Rock Squabs or something.  Located in Melrose
Massachusetts.  His stock was called White Kings (or PR White Kings).  In his
book, he tells how he came to be owner of this fine breed of bird.

(There's another Elmer Rice, contemporary, who wrote Broadway plays.)