[sci.bio] The Virus

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (11/10/88)

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) writes:
> (Note -- it's a worm, not a virus, since it can replicate itself and
> does not hide itself inside other code.)

	Several people have mentioned that it's a worm and not a virus.  I
tried to explain this to my wife (who is a molecular biologist who works
with biolgical viruses) and she didn't like the term worm.  She says that
the distinction of not hiding inside other code is better described by
calling them lytic viruses and lysogenic viruses instead of worms and
viruses.  Anybody for electronic transposons?
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

kenm@maccs.McMaster.CA (...Jose) (11/12/88)

In article <3595@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) writes:
>> (Note -- it's a worm, not a virus, since it can replicate itself and
>> does not hide itself inside other code.)
>	Several people have mentioned that it's a worm and not a virus.  I
>tried to explain this to my wife (who is a molecular biologist who works
>with biolgical viruses) and she didn't like the term worm.  She says that
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	Actually, IT IS very much like a parastic worm, which invades
a biological system, and uses the host as a domain for its own reproduction
and activity.  It can then travel from system to system (ie. person to person
through certain types of contact).   It doesn't actually change the genetics
of a person (ie. does not attatch itself to the code), but can harm the
system by interupting normal processes.

"Fighting for Truth,                                         Kenneth C. Moyle
 Justice, and                                      Department of Biochemistry
 anything else that                 McMaster University  -  Hamilton, Ontario
 seems fun at the time"                                            kenm@maccs

sam@murdu.OZ (Sam Ganesan) (12/01/88)

Hi Folks,

I was glancing through my collection of scientific funnies when I found
this and thought I would share it with the sci.bio community. I liked it
when I read it. I hope you do too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

			THE VIRUS
			---------

	Observe this virus: think how small
	Its arsenal, and yet how loud its call;
	It took my cell, now takes your cell,
	And when it leaves will take our genes as well.
	Genes that are master keys to growth
	That turn it on, or turn it off, or both;
		Should it return to me or you
		It will own the skeleton keys to do
		A number on our tumblers; stage a coup.

	But would you kill the us in it,
	The sequence that it carries, bit by bit?
	The virus was the first to live,
	Or lean in that direction; now we give
	Attention to its way with locks,
	And how its tickings influence our clocks:
		Its gears fit in our clockworking,
		Its habits of expression have a ring
		That makes our carburetors start to ping.

	This happens when cells start to choke
	As red celss must in monoxidic smoke,
	where membranes get the guest list wrong
	And single-file becomes a teeming throng,
	And growth exists for its own sake:
	Then soon enough the healthy genes must break;
		If we permit this with our cells,
		With molecules abet the changing bells:
		Lend our peculiar tone to our death knells.

-Michael Newman

Michael Newman is associated with the Warm Spring Harbour Laboratory for
Qualitative biology in New York.

Lifted from Focus without permission from either Focus or the Author.

Sam Ganesan.

E - mail :
ACSnet: sam@murdu.mu.oz                JANET: sam%murdu.mu.oz@uk.ac.ukc
ARPA  : sam%murdu.mu.oz.au@uunet.uu.net       sam%murdu.mu.oz@uk.ac.ean-relay
UUCP  : {uunet,pyramid,mcvax,nttlab,ukc}!munnari!murdu.mu.oz.au!sam
Snail : Sam Ganesan, Microbiology Dept,Melbourne University, Parkville,
        Victoria 3052, Australia.

dd@beta.lanl.gov (Dan Davison) (12/03/88)

In Article <1491@murdu.Oz>, Sam@murdu.Oz (Sam Ganesan) Writes:
> Hi Folks,

Hi Sam!
> 	The Virus Was The First To Live,
> 	Or Lean In That Direction; Now We Give
> 		Lend Our Peculiar Tone To Our Death Knells.
> -Michael Newman
> Michael Newman Is Associated With The Warm Spring Harbour Laboratory For
> Qualitative Biology In New York.
>
> Sam Ganesan.

His work frequently appears in The Sciences, published by The New
York Academy of Sciences bimonthly or so.  If you haven't read it,
take a look--it's the most literate and thoughtful non-journal-
type periodical around.

Fascist Inews Fodder

--
dan davison/theoretical biology/t-10 ms k710/los alamos national laboratory
los alamos, nm 875545/dd@lanl.gov (arpa)/dd@lanl.uucp(new)/..cmcl2!lanl!dd

dd@beta.lanl.gov (Dan Davison) (12/03/88)

In Article <1491@murdu.Oz>, Sam@murdu.Oz (Sam Ganesan) Writes:
> 	The Virus Was The First To Live,
> 	Or Lean In That Direction; Now We Give
> 		Lend Our Peculiar Tone To Our Death Knells.
> -Michael Newman

What I forgot to mention is that it is unbelievely unlikely that
viruses came first; are there any which are not obligate
parasites?

--
dan davison/theoretical biology/t-10 ms k710/los alamos national laboratory
los alamos, nm 875545/dd@lanl.gov (arpa)/dd@lanl.uucp(new)/..cmcl2!lanl!dd
'The true mark of intelligence is an unwillingness to fill in the many
gaps in our understanding with a set of irrational beliefs'(Keats,paraphrased)

chiaravi@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Lucius Chiaraviglio) (12/04/88)

In article <22884@beta.lanl.gov> dd@beta.lanl.gov (Dan Davison) writes:
|In Article <1491@murdu.Oz>, Sam@murdu.Oz (Sam Ganesan) Writes:
|> 	The Virus Was The First To Live,
|> 	Or Lean In That Direction; Now We Give
|> 		Lend Our Peculiar Tone To Our Death Knells.
|> -Michael Newman
|
|What I forgot to mention is that it is unbelievely unlikely that
|viruses came first; are there any which are not obligate
|parasites?

	By definition, viruses are obligate parasites, so they cannot live
until they have some life form to live on.  The only way to get around this
would be to have someone create the equivalent of a concentrated cell extract
to grow the virus in (aaacckkphhh!) without using cells to create it and
without themselves being alive.

--
BITNET:  chiaravi@IUBACS.BITNET (IUBACS hoses From: fields; INCLUDE RET ADDR)
ARPA-gatewayed BITNET:      chiaravi%IUBACS.BITNET@vm.cc.purdue.edu