[sci.bio] A possibly stupid question

lkirkpat@udenva.cair.du.edu (lkirkpat) (12/04/88)

This is probably a very dumb question. I'm not even sure if
sci.bio is the right place for it, but it's the closest I can
come among the newsgroups I read.  Here goes:

What does it mean, physiologically, when your arm or leg "falls
asleep"?  Is it a "pinched" nerve, constricted blood circulation,
and/or something else?

Sorry to litter the net with such drivel, but I've just got to know.
Thanks.

dbf@myrias.UUCP (David Ferrier) (12/06/88)

In article <11098@udenva.cair.du.edu> lkirkpat@udenva.UUCP (Lee Kirkpatrick) writes:

>What does it mean, physiologically, when your arm or leg "falls
>asleep"?  Is it a "pinched" nerve, constricted blood circulation,
>and/or something else?

There are three sensations associated with a limb falling asleep:
initial numbness or absense of sensation,
difficulty with moving the limb,
pins and needles as sensation returns.

All are due to a temporary malfunction of the nerves in the limb.
The malfunction is a result of a lack of oxygen caused by a
diminished blood supply. This decreased blood supply is usually
due to constriction of a major artery to the limb by
compression, for examply, by sitting the wrong
way for a period of time.

Nerves cells are constantly doing work to create the
electrical potentials required to transmit nerve impulses.
To do this work, they require energy. They
get this energy by metabolizing at a high rate, that
is, through oxidation processes that combine lots of oxygen with
other substances. For this reason,
nerves are more quickly affected by lack of oxygen than
most other tissue and they stop working pretty fast if you cut
off or decrease the blood supply by lying on the limb or
whatever.

When they stop working, it is like having the
telephone line down between your brain and the sensors and muscles
in the limb. No information gets back to the brain, which
is interpreted as the sensation of numbness.

Likewise, it is difficult or impossible to move the parts of the limb
actuated by muscles which are served by affected nerves.
No information gets through to the muscles, so no movement occurs.

When the blood supply is restored, the nerves do not recover instantly
and while recovering go through a phase of firing off nerve
impulses randomly and not due to any real sensation. This
random impulse pattern is interpreted by the
brain as something happening in the limb, giving the
pins and needles feeling.

You might reflect on the fact that any part of the body containing
nerve cells works this way, including the brain. That is why marital arts choke
holds are effective so quickly: they constrict the carotid arteries in the
neck, decreasing or even cutting off the supply of blood to
the brain, which consists entirely of nerve tissues.
In a matter of seconds, the brain's nerve cells stop working properly
and the person blacks out. The same phenomenon is the cause of
high-g manoeuvre blackouts among jet pilots. They wear g suits
to compress the rest of the body and fight the pooling of
blood in the lower anatomy which causes the shortage of blood
in the brain and the blackouts. On a more prosaic level,
this is also why some people get dizzy when they stand up
too quickly. It's called postural hypotension; even the
slight diminution of blood pressure caused by standing up is
enough to affect the function of the never cells in the
brain slightly.