[sci.bio] Reductionism

dd@beta.lanl.gov (Dan Davison) (01/10/89)

In article <6177@ecsvax.uncecs.edu>, hes@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Henry Schaffer) writes:

>   This whole controversy makes me think again about a question which
> has bothered me before.  If reductionism is not sufficient - how can
> one show/prove that it is not sufficient. [...]
>   Is that the answer?  One can't disprove reductionism as long as there
> is more work left to be done?  That would mean essentially never.
> --henry schaffer  n c state univ

I started out as a reductionist ("molecular biology can explain
*everything*") but I've gradually drifted from that view.  In part,
is is, as Henry says, due to the fact that some systems (in the
biologist's sense of the word) are so complex and interrelated that
it is unlikely to ever get pulled apart (the CNS, for example).

Part of my drift is also from reading books like Dyson's "Origins
Of Life" (ISBN 0-521-30949-2) and Eigen's papers on the hypercycle.
I guess this falls into the category of emergent properties; assemble a
system of _n_ components are there then can arise properties not
predictable from the starting components: the hypercycle is an example.
I do not mean that I am wandering off into vitalism (although I do
catch myself making assumptions like that from time to time!).  I mean
instead that components act together to form something greater than
the "sum of the parts".  A current example is the delicate, shifting
dance of developmental gene products in _Drosophila_.  A complex
system based on diffusion and segregation of small (for the most part)
proteins. _Notched_ is a good example: creates a small notch in the wing
but is primary purpose is neurogenesis.

Ah well.  I have digressed a bit.  Reductionism is an extremely
powerful tool; the art in science is knowing when that tool
breaks down.  Look at Chargraff's (sp?) criticism of molecular
biology (because of its reductionist view) over the last
35 years.  (See the Eighth Day of Creation, by Judson).

--
dan davison/theoretical biology/t-10 ms k710/los alamos national laboratory
los alamos, nm 875545/dd@lanl.gov (arpa)/dd@lanl.uucp(new)/..cmcl2!lanl!dd