[sci.bio] Creationism as a science...

rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) (01/13/89)

The problem with Creationism as a science, is that you can't really use it to
make a prediction (which you CAN do with Darwinism, it might not be correct,
but that goes into the definition of a theory).  Why can't you make any kind
of predictions with Creationism?  Well, mainly because it deals with God,
therefore you could only make predictions if you could understand God. After
all, if he just decided to create the universe, well he could decide to
revise/eliminate at any time.  On the side of evolution, it makes predictions,
like: Natural selection will cause animals that are not suited to their
environments to die out, while thoses that are suited will survive and
reproduce.  To simplify things my HS taught both, and let the students decide
which they though was correct.
/ Rick Golembiewski rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu \
\             #include stddisclaim.h     /

kanov@bimacs.BITNET (Mechael Kanovsky) (01/17/89)

In article <sXnAyBy00W0LI1xVpf@andrew.cmu.edu> rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) writes:
>The problem with Creationism as a science, is that you can't really use it to
>make a prediction (which you CAN do with Darwinism, it might not be correct,
>but that goes into the definition of a theory).  Why can't you make any kind
>of predictions with Creationism?  Well, mainly because it deals with God,

What if we say that first g-d created the universe (creatism) and then
he let nature i.e. darwinism take over or in other words he also
craeted the rules that govern the universe and upon those rules we
could make predictions.

--

Mechael Kanovsky     : BITNET  kanov@bimacs.bitnet
Math & CS Dept.      : UUCP    uunet!mcvax!humus!bimacs!kanov

                           !  You can't propel yourself forward !
                           !   by patting yourself on the back  !

ogil@tank.uchicago.edu (Brian W. Ogilvie) (01/19/89)

In article <761@bimacs.BITNET> kanov@bimacs.UUCP (Mechael Kanovsky) writes:

>What if we say that first g-d created the universe (creatism) and then
>he let nature i.e. darwinism take over or in other words he also
>craeted the rules that govern the universe and upon those rules we
>could make predictions.
>
>Mechael Kanovsky

This is not the "Creation Science" that is being discussed. Creation Science
holds that animal and plant species were created individually by God and
cannot change beyond a fixed limit of variability. Louis Agassiz, who died
in the latter half of the Nineteenth Century, was the last important biologist
to hold this view.

The position you have sketched is not incompatible with evolution, and in
fact is held by many biologists. It is compatible with the belief in a
personal God (held by Asa Gray among others) and with an impersonal Deism.
Depending on which scholar you ask, Darwin was a Deist. I certainly believe
he was for a while, though religious questions dwindled in importance to
him as he grew older.
--
Brian W. Ogilvie  /  ogil@tank.uchicago.edu
"Cartesianism is the most popular 'popular science' ever invented."

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (01/19/89)

In article <761@bimacs.BITNET>, kanov@bimacs.BITNET (Mechael Kanovsky) writes:
> What if we say that first g-d created the universe (creatism) and then
> he let nature i.e. darwinism take over or in other words he also
> craeted the rules that govern the universe and upon those rules we
> could make predictions.

Unless you demonstrate that god had to decree precisely the laws
that your theory contains, the claims about god laying down the
rules are just "metaphysical" baggage.  One might as well append
to Maxwell's equations a story of the invisible elves that cause
the electromagnetic field to behave as Maxwell's equations
predict.  The problem in both cases is that only the "physical"
part of the theory is involved in making predictions, and so it
is the only part of the theory that is tested by observation.
Both elves and gods are useless in this regard.  The elves and
gods would be just as happy involved with some other theory, and
so the success or failure of the theory is irrelevant to claims
about them.

The separation between physical theory (whose predictions are
tested against observation) and metaphysical baggage is not
always so clear.  The different schools of physicists have long
argued over the meaning of quantum mechanics, and over which
claims are part of the theory and which are not.  Some try to
step aside from the battle by claiming that it is clear how to
calculate predictions from QM, regardless of which interpretation
one chooses, and that this is all that matters.  Others disagree:
David Deutsch describes experiments that would distinguish the
many-worlds interpretation from the standard interpretation.

Russell

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (01/19/89)

	Rule number one: thou shall not utter "creationism" or "evolution"
in sci.bio.  This is almost as great an evil as uttering "abortion" in
soc.women or "VMS" in comp.unix.wizards :-).  Without commenting on the
relative merits of the two concepts, this is most definately the wrong
place to discuss them.  Try talk.origins if you're into that sort of thing.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute