[sci.bio] twins

robert@stevie.cs.unlv.edu (Robert Cray) (01/23/89)

I was reading a genetics book a while ago and came across "...almost all
MZ twins are same sex...".  Thinking about it, I can't figure out how you
could have MZ twins of different sex, anyone know?  Was the author just
hedging?

					--robert

hes@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Henry Schaffer) (01/24/89)

From, TEXTBOOK OF HUMAN GENETICS by Max Levitan, 1987, p. 354

In a section on Zygosity Diagnosis, talking about concordance/discordance
in MZ/DZ twins.

"... chromosome abnormalities or mutation may develop in one MZ twin
and not in the other, giving rise to phenotypic differences.  In a few
instances, it has even turned out that twins of unlike sex were really
monozygotic, as one exhibited XO Turner's syndrome and the other was
a normal male, or both were XY by only one showed testicular
feminization."

--henry schaffer  n c state univ

kanov@bimacs.BITNET (Mechael Kanovsky) (01/30/89)

In article <1046@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> robert@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Robert Cray) writes:
>I was reading a genetics book a while ago and came across "...almost all
>MZ twins are same sex...".  Thinking about it, I can't figure out how you
>could have MZ twins of different sex, anyone know?  Was the author just
>hedging?
>
>                                        --robert

  Probably he is, but I still can think of a long shot of a case where
MZ (monozygot) twins will be of different sexes.
  If in one of the twins we have a mutation that will occur on the Y
gene and for that reason there will be a defect in the membrane
protien that recognizes testosterone what you will get is an XY
female. Actualy there are a few other genetic defects where XX will
have male characteristics and XY where they will be female. But I
can't think of a case where the MZ twins will be of different sexes
and they will both be normal.

--

Mechael Kanovsky     : BITNET  kanov@bimacs.bitnet
Math & CS Dept.      : UUCP    uunet!mcvax!humus!bimacs!kanov

                           !  You can't propel yourself forward !
                           !   by patting yourself on the back  !

#! rnews           1

ayermish@asylum.SF.CA.US (Aimee Yermish) (02/01/89)

Another very long shot on how you could get monozygotic twins to be of
different sexes:  If they both started out female, but right early on
(I mean *really* early on, although I don't know enough about
developmental bio to say more specifically) one of them had a breakage
(or maybe a very lucky translocation) in one X chromosome cutting it
short such that it was for most intents and purposes a Y chromosome.
Of course, the chances that the break would happen in just the right
place are vanishingly small, leaving the poor kid with some gene
dosage screwups.

I *said* it was a very long shot...

--Aimee

--
Aimee Yermish				ayermish@asylum.sf.ca.us
Program in Cancer Biology		ayermish@portia.stanford.edu

chiaravi@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Lucius Chiaraviglio) (02/01/89)

In article <1091@asylum.SF.CA.US> ayermish@asylum.UUCP (Aimee Yermish) writes:
>Another very long shot on how you could get monozygotic twins to be of
>different sexes:  If they both started out female, but right early on
>(I mean *really* early on, although I don't know enough about
>developmental bio to say more specifically) one of them had a breakage
>(or maybe a very lucky translocation) in one X chromosome cutting it
>short such that it was for most intents and purposes a Y chromosome.

	Won't work.  If you break an X chromosome in an XX individual you
still get a female, no matter where you break it.  This is because merely
cutting an X chromosome short does not make it a Y chromosome -- a Y
chromosome has different contents than an X chromosome.  If you mess up one X
chromsome badly enough you will cause abnormality (known as Turner's Syndrome,
whose most extreme form consists of the individual having only 1 X
chromosome), but the individual will still be female.

--
|  Lucius Chiaraviglio   |  ARPA:  chiaravi@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
BITNET:  chiaravi@IUBACS.BITNET (IUBACS hoses From: fields; INCLUDE RET ADDR)
ARPA-gatewayed BITNET:      chiaravi%IUBACS.BITNET@vm.cc.purdue.edu
Alt ARPA-gatewayed BITNET:  chiaravi%IUBACS.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu

ayermish@asylum.SF.CA.US (Aimee Yermish) (02/02/89)

I stand corrected.  Thank you, Lucius.
--Aimee

--

mkkuhner@codon3.berkeley.edu (Mary K. Kuhner;335 Mulford) (02/03/89)

In article <1046@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> robert@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Robert Cray) writes:
>I was reading a genetics book a while ago and came across "...almost all
>MZ twins are same sex...".  Thinking about it, I can't figure out how you
>could have MZ twins of different sex, anyone know?  Was the author just
>hedging?

>					--robert

The apparent sex of a human being depends on a lot of things besides the
sex chromosomes present, so this statement does make some sense.  I know
of at least one case in which an infant boy, one of a pair of MZ twins,
had his genitals so severely injured that the decision was made to surgically
"correct" him to female, and he was raised as such.

Hormone treatment of the mother and some other environmental stimuli could
also result in chromosomal sex not matching physiological sex, though having
this happen to just one of a pair of twins seems farfetched.

Mutation to the testis-determining-factor gene could also cause mismatched
twins, but I don't know of an example.  This would be excessively rare.

I think the author was just being grotesquely overcautious.....

Mary Kuhner