[sci.bio] looking for the right word

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (06/02/89)

	I'm at a loss for a word.  The generalization of first, second,
third, ... is nth.  The generalization of primary, secondary, tertiary, ...
is n-ary.  But, what is the generalization of mononucleotide, dinucleotide,
trinucleotide, tertranucleotide, ....?  N-nucleotide doesn't sound right,
nor does nmer, which is more the generalizaion of monomer, dimer, trimer,
etc.  Any suggestions?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

jbkramer@NET.BIO.NET (Jack Kramer) (06/02/89)

In article <3790@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>	I'm at a loss for a word.  The generalization of first, second,
>third, ... is nth.  The generalization of primary, secondary, tertiary, ...
>is n-ary.  But, what is the generalization of mononucleotide, dinucleotide,
>trinucleotide, tertranucleotide, ....?  N-nucleotide doesn't sound right,
>nor does nmer, which is more the generalizaion of monomer, dimer, trimer,
>etc.  Any suggestions?
>--
>Roy Smith, Public Health Research Institute
>455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
>{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
>"The connector is the network"

I think most are used to "oligonucleotide" for any small fragment.
Chemically I think good old polymer or polynucleotide is correct.
I have also heard the term "multimer" used this way, but this could
cause a lot of confusion since multimer normally means multiple-
polymer.

Jack Kramer

hjsdvm@ziebmef.uucp (Howard J. Scrimgeour) (06/08/89)

In article <3790@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>	I'm at a loss for a word.  The generalization of first, second,
>third, ... is nth.  The generalization of primary, secondary, tertiary, ...
>is n-ary.  But, what is the generalization of mononucleotide, dinucleotide,
>trinucleotide, tertranucleotide, ....?  N-nucleotide doesn't sound right,
>nor does nmer, which is more the generalizaion of monomer, dimer, trimer,
>etc.  Any suggestions?

How about "polynucleotide"? The word for "n-mer" is definitely "polymer".

| Howard J. Scrimgeour, D.V.M.                                           |
| hjsdvm@ziebmef.uucp       CIS:75126,2744                               |
| uunet!{utgpu!moore,attcan!telly}!ziebmef!hjsdvm                        |
| "We also walk dogs..."                                                 |