[sci.bio] a cat's purr

tracyr@sco.COM (Tracy Roberts) (05/23/89)

i was just wondering if anyone out there knew the origin of
the cat's purr.  why was/is it useful for cats to display
contented-ness?  how is purring related to survival of the
feline species?  was it merely a mechanism to comfort the
offspring?

any insights/ideas greatly appreciated.

-tracy
email:  uunet!sco!tracyr

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (05/26/89)

In article <2765@scolex.sco.COM>, tracyr@sco.COM (Tracy Roberts) writes:
> ....  why was/is it useful for cats to display
> contented-ness?  ...

I have observed cat's purring when they are obviously not
content, for example, when very sick.  Perhaps rather than
contentedness, it indicates sociability: a willingness or desire
to be around other cats or cat surrogates (this means you.)

Russell

gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon Letwin) (05/28/89)

In article <5587@cs.utexas.edu>, turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) writes:

> I have observed cat's purring when they are obviously not
> content, for example, when very sick.  Perhaps rather than
> contentedness, it indicates sociability: a willingness or desire
> to be around other cats or cat surrogates (this means you.)
>
> Russell

Desmond Morris, in a book titled something like "cat watching", suggests
that purring is a cat's way to solicit "nice attention".  This is
pretty much what Mr. Turpin was saying - that cats purr when they
want you to be nice to them, or to comfort them, etc.

jg@inmos.co.uk (John Giannandrea) (06/02/89)

In article <2765@scolex.sco.COM> tracyr@sco.COM (Tracy Roberts) writes:
>i was just wondering if anyone out there knew the origin of the cat's purr.

It's probably based in a greeting.

srp@cgl.ucsf.edu (Scott R. Presnell%Langridge) (06/02/89)

In article <1539@brwa.inmos.co.uk> jg@inmos.co.uk (John Giannandrea) writes:

>In article <2765@scolex.sco.COM> tracyr@sco.COM (Tracy Roberts) writes:
>>i was just wondering if anyone out there knew the origin of the cat's purr.
>
>It's probably based in a greeting.

Indeed, one of our cats would say "purrr-aaow" as a greeting occasionally,
as apposed to the normal course of her conversations with us.

Scott Presnell						       +1 415 476 5326
Dept. of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Univ. of Calif. at San Francisco (UCSF), San Francisco, CA. 94143
Internet: srp@cgl.ucsf.edu UUCP: ucbvax!ucsfcgl!srp Bitnet: srp@ucsfcgl.bitnet

gfs@mtunh.ATT.COM (Geneva Stollery) (06/10/89)

In article <1539@brwa.inmos.co.uk>, jg@inmos.co.uk (John Giannandrea) writes:
> In article <2765@scolex.sco.COM> tracyr@sco.COM (Tracy Roberts) writes:
> >i was just wondering if anyone out there knew the origin of the cat's purr.
>
> It's probably based in a greeting.

 believe it has something to do with when the cat is relaxed a certain blood vessel vibrates against a bone?