[sci.bio] Request for info on whales

siili@opmvax.csc.fi (Tero Siili, Finnish meteorological institute / GEO) (06/08/89)

Request for information & references:

I would be interested in obtaining information of the various species of
whales (most of all dolphins, the orca and the humpback whale) but being
a layman when it comes to biology and zoology I could use some info as to
where I should start to dig up information. References to books and (at
this stage) review articles would be appreciated; a good SciAm article might
be good thing to start with...
My interest is not related to professional or scientific activities. I simply
want to learn more and more first-hand information, than the TV-documentaries
and layman articles tend to provide. Please send your replies directly to me
in addition to possible posting to sci.bio, as I don't read sci.bio regularly.

Best regards,

Tero Siili
Finnish Meteorological Institute, Dep. of Geophysics
siili@csc.fi

chappell@ysidro.uchicago.edu (Chappell) (06/13/89)

In article <123@opmvax.csc.fi> siili@opmvax.csc.fi (Tero Siili, Finnish meteorological institute / GEO) writes:
>Request for information & references:
>
>I would be interested in obtaining information of the various species of
>whales (most of all dolphins, the orca and the humpback whale) but being

>My interest is not related to professional or scientific activities. I simply
>want to learn more and more first-hand information, than the TV-documentaries

>Tero Siili
>Finnish Meteorological Institute, Dep. of Geophysics
>siili@csc.fi

Moby Dick, by Melville.  I am serious; this is not only a literary
monument, but quite informative on whales.  Melville becomes something
of a taxonomist in one chapter (relatively early in the book), where he
divides the whales into `folio' (the biggest printer's size, where one
sheet is folded once to make to leaves), such as the sperm whale, down
to `quarto' (folded twice), etc.  The rest of the book is full of that
combination of sympathy and possessive gluttony which I have only seen
in a true naturalist/hunter.  It reminds me of Aldo Leopold at his
best.

                                         Enjoy.

Rick Chappell
Dept. of Statistics, University of Chicago

SIILI@opmvax.csc.fi (Tero Siili, Finnish meteorological institute / GEO) (06/14/89)

Hi, everybody!

Sci.bio seemed the right place to post this request... I would be interested in
material on whales (dolphins, orca's and humpbacks in particular), but I lack
literature references.  My interest is so far mainly non-professional, but who
knows...
To specify, I am interested in references to books, articles (say, SciAm,
Science, New Scientist; review-type stuff to begin with...) and possibly TV
documentaries (Please note, that being European, PAL is probably the standard,
which would be applicable). English is the preferred language, but German,
French and Swedish are OK as well.
I am not a regular reader of sci.bio, so please mail your references directly
to me (in addition to a possible reply to sci.bio).

Tero Siili
siili@csc.fi
siili@finfun.bitnet/earn