[sci.bio] Soil composition

steve%revolver@gatech.edu (08/11/89)

NOTE: Followups to this message have been directed to sci.bio

     I have a question that some of you may have the expertise to answer
for me.  Can anyone give me a range of elemental composition for common
surface soils, especially those that are relatively high in carbon.  I
mean here untreated soils, i.e. soils that do not have fertilizers applied
to them artificially.

  **************************** DISCLAIMER *******************************
    The preceding opinions or statements are solely those of the author
    and should not be interpreted to represent the beliefs of any other
    person, institution, government agency, or business entity.

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (08/11/89)

In article <1449@hydra.gatech.EDU> steve%revolver@gatech.edu writes:
>NOTE: Followups to this message have been directed to sci.bio
>
>     I have a question that some of you may have the expertise to answer
>for me.  Can anyone give me a range of elemental composition for common
>surface soils, especially those that are relatively high in carbon.  I
>mean here untreated soils, i.e. soils that do not have fertilizers applied
>to them artificially.

Soil (dirt) is different stuff EVERYWHERE (move an inch or two
in any direction or depth and get completely different
analytical results)- its the ORIGINAL inhomogeneous sample!

But you might want to take a look at "Chemical Equilibria in
Soils" by W.L. Lindsay, John Wiley and Sons, NY.

You will find most elements at some concentration in surface
soil-  O, Al, Fe, Cr, Si, Pb, Mn, Ca, Na, K, H, Cu, ...

Check texts on "enviroinmental" geology as well for tables of
elemnetal abundances.