[sci.bio] Are blood types inherited?

kris@maui.WV.TEK.COM (Kristen McCormick) (08/16/89)

I'm posting here because I didn't know who else to ask.
I am probably the only person on earth who never had
biology in high school, or anywhere else (I may take it next
term though). So my question is, are blood types inherited?

Can a father with type A positive blood and a mother
with AB negative (I think) have a child with O positive blood?
If it helps any, the other child has A positive.

My husband and I both have O positive, and so does our daughter,
so I'm assuming heredety has something to do with it.
But is it always? Is it like, absolute, or are there dominant
and recessive like eye color? Anyone?

Thanks.
kris
Kristen McCormick
kris@maui.wv.tek.com

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (08/18/89)

In article <4250@orca.WV.TEK.COM>, kris@maui.WV.TEK.COM (Kristen McCormick) writes:

> I'm posting here because I didn't know who else to ask.
> I am probably the only person on earth who never had
> biology in high school, or anywhere else (I may take it next
> term though). So my question is, are blood types inherited?
>
> Can a father with type A positive blood and a mother
> with AB negative (I think) have a child with O positive blood?
> If it helps any, the other child has A positive.

	In general, if a father has AB blood and the child has type O
blood, that is taken as evidence in most states as legal proof of
non-paternity.  However, cases of mistaken maternity (as above) are pretty
rare. And although the probability of faulty recall is the best explanation
of the above, there is a way for an AB mother to have a phenotypically
type O child. It's called the Bombay blood group.

	All blood group markers are genetically determined. There are
several dozen of them in all, only a few of which are well known: ABO,
Rhesus, MNSs, Duffy, and a few others.  ABO is the only one to which
people are naturally immune to.  The gene (designated I) can be in one
of three forms: A, B, or inactive. There are two copies. Hence, OO gives
O blood group, AA or AO give A, BB or BO give B, and AB gives AB.  The
mechanism is that either the A-modification or the B-modification is made
to another blood antigen (the H antigen). O is defined as the absence of
A and the absence of B, not the presence of anything.  Hence, if one
lacks the H antigen, one has the A/B enzymes, but nothing to modify, and
appears O.  This was first described in a family in Bombay, hence is called
the Bombay blood group.   Note well, however, that if this is really the
case and the offspring received multiple transfusions, the child is in
trouble.  Normal O blood contains the H antigen, Bombay O blood does not.
Persons with O(Bombay) can only receive other O(Bombay) blood for
transfusions.

	And, by the way, my father was type A, my mother was type B. I'm
type O.  My family is thus one of the few combinations where both genotypes
and phenotypes are known.

--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (08/19/89)

kris@maui.WV.TEK.COM (Kristen McCormick) asks:
> Can a father with type A positive blood and a mother
> with AB negative (I think) have a child with O positive blood?
> If it helps any, the other child has A positive.

Nope - it is not possible. There are three genes for blood type (the
O A B AB bit, positive and negative are "handled" elsewhere):
O, A and B. A and B are both dominant over O, but are "co-dominant"
when together. Or to put this another way: there are six possible
combinations of O, A and B:

OO	O blood type
AA	A blood type
BB	B blood type
OA	A blood type
OB	B blood type
AB	AB blood type

Now, if one parent is AB, that parent will always pass on either an
A or a B gene, thus leading to either A or B or AB in the child.

Hence an AB parent cannot have an O child. This does not even begin
to address the Rhesus factor (positive or negative) - I believe that
pos is dominant over neg, but am not as sure: the Bio I took in
High School only covered A, B, and O.

> My husband and I both have O positive, and so does our daughter,
> so I'm assuming heredety has something to do with it.

Correct - I think _ALL_ your offspring will be O pos, however if
negative is recessive to positive, it is possible for you to have
an O negative child.

> But is it always? Is it like, absolute, or are there dominant
> and recessive like eye color? Anyone?

Yep - as I said above O is recessive to A and B, and I think negative
is recessive to positive - perhaps someone else can say more about
+ve and -ve - I'd kind of like to know myself
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
						IHS	| +-+-+

chiafari@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Mr. Frank Chiafari ) (08/31/89)

This is a response to many articles on the net which were close, but not
precisely correct. The ABO blood group marker systemm describes a red cell
surface antigen (the H-antigen) which can undergo modification by the addition
of sugar moities to the protein structure. Either you possess the capacity to
modify the H-antigen (A1,A2,B,etc), or you don't(O), or your missing the H-
antigen altogether(O-bombay). The modification enzymes, represented as non-O
types, are co-dominant, meaning they can each be expressed without exclusion
of the other types. These types are detected using purrified sera (with
antibodies) from individuals that are immuno-sensitized to a type. Therefore,
"A1" individuals can have antibodies to "B" types, or any other type they do
not (generally) possess. The gene for the null enzyme activity, "O", i
recessive to all other types because it is the lack of activity; O-bomyay is
recessive to normal H-antigen.
	We inherit two copies of each gene (generally), one from each parent.
Therefore, an individual who is typed as an "A" could haveither an AA g
genotype or an AO genotype (O-bombay is encoded at the locus that produces the
H-antigen, NOT at the locus that produces the modification enzymes).The case
you gave as an example indicates non-paternity unless both parents are hetero-
zygous at the H-antigen locus for O-bombay (one normal copy, one O-bombay), and
happened to give the child their O-bombay genes, making him homozygous, a VERY
unlikely event.
	If this was a real paternity case, other blood group or DNA markers
could be tested to resolve the situation, looking for more exclusions. Remem-
ber however, that the results and interpretation are only as reliable as the
test.

Wasn't that simple.