[sci.bio] Sterile Environments

yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (09/20/89)

In article <929@paperboy.OSF.ORG> coren@osf.org writes:
>I think there's a tendency to forget what the "ID" in "AIDS" stands
>for. It isn't "the virus" (if there is indeed such a thing) that kills
>you; it's the things that get you because your immune system isn't
>functioning.

Back in the 70s, there was a lot of publicity about "the boy in the
plastic bubble" -- a child who was born with a non-functional immune
system and lived in a sterile environment.  Why can't the same type of
controlled environment be used to prevent AIDS victims from
contracting (other) infections?

Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Computer Science Department