[sci.bio] 30 Seconds Ago This Was A Mouse

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (09/21/89)

About 10 years ago, as an undergrad, someone told me he saw an ad in SCIENCE
for a laboratory  osterizer (i.e. a machine like a blender) which showed
a beaker of liquid and the caption "30 seconds ago this was a mouse".

I tried to find the ad, but no luck.  I did find an ad which seemed to fit
part of the description.  It was an ad for osterizers from Brinkman-Stromberg
which showed the device, a beaker of liquid, and mentioned the possible
applications for the unit, which included "even a whole mouse".

If they ever used the wording I was told, that would be a pretty
unforgettable ad.  I'm wondering whether anyone on the net remembers
seeing the ad with this wording.

BCHS1B@jane.uh.edu (09/23/89)

In article <22342@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
> About 10 years ago, as an undergrad, someone told me he saw an ad in SCIENCE
> for a laboratory  osterizer (i.e. a machine like a blender) which showed
> a beaker of liquid and the caption "30 seconds ago this was a mouse".
>
> I tried to find the ad, but no luck.  I did find an ad which seemed to fit
> part of the description.  It was an ad for osterizers from Brinkman-Stromberg
> which showed the device, a beaker of liquid, and mentioned the possible
> applications for the unit, which included "even a whole mouse".
>
> If they ever used the wording I was told, that would be a pretty
> unforgettable ad.  I'm wondering whether anyone on the net remembers
> seeing the ad with this wording.

I clearly remember seeing the ad and the caption listed above. I am
fairly sure it would have been in science. As to when it ran I am not
very certain, but I would guess late 70's or very early 80's also. I
remember seeing it while I was in grad school.

Mike Benedik
Department of Biochemical and Biophysical Sciences
University of Houston