[sci.bio] Breast Implants

steimle@zeus.unl.edu (09/24/89)

I'm not really sure that these are the appropriate newsgroups to post
this in, but they seemed more so than any other.  Anyway, a close friend
of mine is considering getting implants and cosmetic surgery, and I'd like
to know of any complications, regrets, health problems, etc. that are
associated with it.  It seems that she is trying to solve a sexuality
problem in an extreme way...

Thanks to all that reply.

Scott.

cirimele@hpindda.HP.COM (Kathryn Cirimele) (09/26/89)

Yes, she could have problems. My sister used to work for Heyer-Shulty (??) and
they made implants. There are not really any short term effects, however she
is suppose to massage herself to avoid calouse build up. Also, most women who
get the implants at age 25 or so, probably won't be massaging themselves when
they are 60 or 70. Her body, over the years, will build up an internal calouse
next to the implants making them look un-natural. A womans breast is spread
across the chest area and under her arm. The part under the arm may move and
be pushed in front during the calousing later in life.

I'm no expert and I'm sure your friend knows more about it than me.
Getting implants can have some strange effects.  If gaining weight runs in her
family, then she will also gain it around the breast area. And when you gain
weight and your chest gets bigger, it is not an appealing sight. It winds up
looking like she will need a reduction. But of course it depends on her
family hereditary.

I sort feel sorry for women who can't accept their A or B chest that they have
to go out and mutilate themselves by having implants. If she has a self
esteem problem, sexually, tell her she's dating the wrong guys. Any decent
guy that's worth spending the rest of your life with, shouldn't care about
any of that.

ciao.

jay@cso.UUCP (Jay D'Lugin) (09/26/89)

In article <3499.251b8a3e@zeus.unl.edu> steimle@zeus.unl.edu writes:
> Anyway, a close friend
>of mine is considering getting implants and cosmetic surgery, and I'd like
>to know of any complications, regrets, health problems, etc. that are
>associated with it.  It seems that she is trying to solve a sexuality
>problem in an extreme way...

As a radiologist-to-be, I'm especially concerned about early breast cancer
detection with mammography.  Most breast implants reduce the sensitivity
of a screening mammogram pretty significantly.   The rather dense
material used (usu. silicone) obscures subtle fibrocycstic changes and micro-
calcifications, which can be early warnings of breast cancer.

Manufacturers of implants are working on more radiolucent materials, but I'm
not sure if they have been approved for general use yet.

--
Jay D'Lugin      jay@cso.UUCP  or  {pacbell|mcnc}!gladys!rbdc!cso!jay  or
                 jay@fozzie.wustl.edu