[sci.bio] Ecosystemic Contamination

dxb105@csc.anu.oz (David Bofinger, Theoretical Physics, RSPhysS ANU) (10/10/89)

I'm cross-posting this to sci.bio, partly to get this line of the conversation
out of sci.space, and partly in the hope an expert can help out.

In article <5661@portia.Stanford.EDU>, joe@hanauma.stanford.edu (Joe
Dellinger) writes:
> Well, I would tend to agree with you, but there are precedents to
> the contrary. South America is a much larger continent than North
> America,

I suppose in biomass terms this is probably true.

> so you would expect it to be able to "hold its own"
> evolutionarily against invaders... and yet when the isthmus of Panama
> formed (quite recently geologically speaking) the North American mammals
> almost _immediately_ spread South and _totally wiped out_ all the native
> South American mammals.

I think the point was that South America was isolated. North America had a
(tenuous) link to the _real_ powerhouse of terrestrial evolution- Afro-Eurasia.
It wasn't North American mammals that colonised South America: it was Asian
ones, via the Bering strait.
David Bofinger	ACSNet:	dxb105@phys0.anu.oz [@munnari.oz.au] (Australia)
                Snail:	Dept. of Theoretical Physics, RSPhysS, ANU, ACT, 2601
Annex space now. Canada wants us to, and Tom Neff can't stop us.

joe@hanauma.stanford.edu (Joe Dellinger) (10/10/89)

In article <767.25311054@csc.anu.oz> dxb105@csc.anu.oz (David Bofinger, Theoretical Physics, RSPhysS ANU) writes:

>I think the point was that South America was isolated. North America had a
>(tenuous) link to the _real_ powerhouse of terrestrial evolution- Afro-Eurasia.
>It wasn't North American mammals that colonised South America: it was Asian
>ones, via the Bering strait.
>
>David Bofinger	ACSNet:	dxb105@phys0.anu.oz [@munnari.oz.au] (Australia)

Guess you caught me there. Hope you're enjoying our Texan prickly-pear cactus!

I think my point still stands, though (even though I admit it's more the
exception than the rule). If North America wasn't so isolated, then how
about:
1) Brazilian Water Hyacinths (taking over everywhere with a decent climate)
2) @#*$*^&@# British House Sparrows (far and away most common bird in almost
	all of North America, all descended from a handful released by
	some idiot.)
3) Grasses in California (the "golden hills" of California are caused by
	introduced grasses. I'm not sure where they came from.)
\    /\    /\    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\.-.-.-.-.......___________
 \  /  \  /  \  /Dept of Geophysics, Stanford University \/\/\.-.-....___
  \/    \/    \/Joe Dellinger joe@hanauma.stanford.edu  apple!hanauma!joe\/\.-._

overt@antony (Christian Overton) (10/11/89)

In article <5715@portia.Stanford.EDU>, joe@hanauma (Joe Dellinger) writes:
>I think my point still stands, though (even though I admit it's more the
>exception than the rule). If North America wasn't so isolated, then how
>about:
>1) Brazilian Water Hyacinths (taking over everywhere with a decent climate)
>2) @#*$*^&@# British House Sparrows (far and away most common bird in almost
>	all of North America, all descended from a handful released by
>	some idiot.)
>3) Grasses in California (the "golden hills" of California are caused by
>	introduced grasses. I'm not sure where they came from.)

I'm glad this came up on the net.  I was trying to explain to my seven-year old
son about the problems that can arise when plants and animals are introduced to
new environments by man; he got excited by the idea and wanted me to compile a
list of recent invaders mostly to N. America (n.a.).  I'm looking for any
interesting additions to my current list, and sources where we can find more
information:

ORGANISM                             ORIGIN                 INTRODUCED TO

killer bees                          africa                 n.a.
fire ants                            s. america?            n.a.
kudzu                                japan                  n.a.
walking catfish                      africa?                n.a.
gypsy moth                           europe?                n.a.
xenopus leavis (clawed toad)         s. africa              n.a.
various foreign cockroaches too numerous to name            n.a.
med. fruit fly                       mediterranean area?    n.a., hawaii

rabbit                               europe                 australia

Not sure about these:
blackbirds (grackles)                europe                 n.a.
   seen in large flocks?
pigeons                              europe                 n.a.

An additional list he is interested in would include problems arising when an
animal or plant is eliminated from an area.  I guess I'm thinking mostly about
examples like the explosion in the deer population when predators such as wolves
are eliminated, but I was also under the impression that destruction of the
manatee had resulted in overgrowth of water plants in Florida, and
over-harvesting of California sea urchins was causing a problem with overgrowth
of kelp.  Are these examples correct?  Are there any other good examples?

Thanks,
  Chris

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (10/11/89)

In article <11681@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, overt@antony (Christian Overton) writes:
> I'm glad this came up on the net.  I was trying to explain to my seven-year old
> son about the problems that can arise when plants and animals are introduced to
> new environments by man; he got excited by the idea and wanted me to compile a
> list of recent invaders mostly to N. America (n.a.).  I'm looking for any
> interesting additions to my current list...

Johnson grass was introduced in the last century.  Is this late
enough?

Russell

goddard@aic.hrl.hac.com (10/11/89)

In article <11681@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> overt@antony (Christian Overton) writes:
>son about the problems that can arise when plants and animals are introduced to
>new environments by man; he got excited by the idea and wanted me to compile a
>list of recent invaders mostly to N. America (n.a.).  I'm looking for any
>interesting additions to my current list, and sources where we can find more
>ORGANISM                             ORIGIN                 INTRODUCED TO

cane toad				??			australia

This was introduced to control some other creature (cane snake?),
which might also have been non-native.  Anyway, it is eating
everything in sight and is considered an ecological disaster (wiping
out native species).  There is a movie CANE TOADS which documents the
story, I saw a clip and it looked great.  I think they are now looking
for some non-native predator to introduce to eat the cane toads - who
knows where this could end.

Nigel Goddard

joe@hanauma.stanford.edu (Joe Dellinger) (10/11/89)

In article <11681@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> overt@antony (Christian Overton) writes:
>blackbirds (grackles)                europe                 n.a.
>   seen in large flocks?

I don't think you have grackles in Pennsylvania. True, they are "invading"
Texas, but I believe the invasion is a natural extension of their central
American range. (For those of you who have never seen one, Grackles are
dark colored birds. The males can have extremely large tails, and are
brightly iridescently colored. They are most known for making extremely
loud, extremely strange sounds something like the sound of a squeaky door
hinge overlayed on top of a fuzzy buzz. They are unmistakeable.)
Another recent natural invader of Texas is the Cattle Egret.
They came from Africa, crossed to S.A. apparently by themselves, and have
been spreading North ever since. Now they've made it to Texas. True to
their name you often see them standing on cows!

As for other natural invaders into Texas... how about scrub jays? Armadillos?
\    /\    /\    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\.-.-.-.-.......___________
 \  /  \  /  \  /Dept of Geophysics, Stanford University \/\/\.-.-....___
  \/    \/    \/Joe Dellinger joe@hanauma.stanford.edu  apple!hanauma!joe\/\.-._

dietz@cs.rochester.edu (Paul Dietz) (10/11/89)

I recall hearing about the introduction of the prickly pear cactus
to Australia.  It ran out of control, and was a serious nuisance to
ranchers.  The investation was controlled by introduction of a moth
whose caterpillar ate the cactus.

Isn't the Japanese beetle an immigrant in north america?

Let's also not forget syphilus and smallpox.

	Paul F. Dietz
	dietz@cs.rochester.edu

dmark@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (10/11/89)

In article <5748@portia.Stanford.EDU> joe@hanauma.stanford.edu (Joe Dellinger) writes:
>In article <11681@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> overt@antony (Christian Overton) writes:
>>blackbirds (grackles)                europe                 n.a.
>>   seen in large flocks?

  Overton probably is trying to refer to European Starlings.

>I don't think you have grackles in Pennsylvania.  ...

  Wrong.  There ARE grackles in Pennsylvania.  There are 3 species of grackles
  in the USA.  The one known as "Common Grackle" occurs through most of the
  US and Canada, except for the cordillera and the west coast.  Then, there
  are 2 much large grackles, that were split from each other in 1973.  The
  "Great-tailed Grackle" is common in Mexico and Texas, and is spreading north,
  east, and west.  The "Boat-tailed Grackle" is more or less restricted to
  salt marshes on the Gulf and Atlantic Coasts.  They all are native to North
  America.

>                                             ...  True, they are "invading"
>Texas, but I believe the invasion is a natural extension of their central
>American range.

  Those are the Great-tailed Grackles.

David Mark
dmark@cs.buffalo.edu

In article <5446@hacgate.UUCP>, goddard@aic.hrl.hac.com writes:
> cane toad				??			australia
>
> This was introduced to control some other creature (cane snake?),
> which might also have been non-native.  Anyway, it is eating
> everything in sight and is considered an ecological disaster (wiping
> out native species).  There is a movie CANE TOADS which documents the
> story, I saw a clip and it looked great.  I think they are now looking
> for some non-native predator to introduce to eat the cane toads - who
> knows where this could end.

Reminds one of the children's song, no?  Each verse gets a little
longer as the old lady increasingly contaminates her internal
ecosystem.  (The 1st verse is the summary.) The last verse, as
well as I remember, it goes like this:

     I know an old lady who ate a horse,
     she died -- of course,

     she ate the horse to chase the dog,
     she ate the dog to catch the cat,
     she ate the cat to eat the mouse,
     she ate the mouse to scare the spider,
     (which wiggled and jiggled and tickled inside her),
     she ate the spider to trap the fly,

     I don't know why,
     she ate the fly.

There is probably some good psychological or social reason why
they don't teach this song to children any more, but I'm always
reminded of it when I think of cane toads or rabbits in Australia.

Russell

palosaari@oxy.edu (Jedidiah Jon Palosaari) (10/12/89)

Although not a problem in North America, the mongoose was introduced in
Hawaii to reduce the rat population about 100-200 years ago.  Instead, the
mongooses decided they liked bird eggs better, and reduced the Hawaiian song
bird population to some 23 species, allowing the mongoose to become
populous enough to become a pest.  In fact, all mammals except for one type
of bat were introduced to Hawaii, although most long ago by the polynesians.

haake@osprey.cvs.rochester.edu (Bill Haake) (10/12/89)

I am partial to fish myself so here are a few interesting additions off the
top of my head:

In article <11681@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> overt@antony (Christian Overton) writes:

>ORGANISM                             ORIGIN                 INTRODUCED TO

Cyprinus carpio (carp)                Eurasia                N.A. and elsewhere
Carassius auratus (goldfish)          Eurasia                N.A. and elsewhere
Salmo trutta (brown trout)            Eurasia                N.A. and elsewhere
Onchorhyncus sp. (Pacific Salmons)    Pacific Northwest      Great Lakes
Many tropical freshwater species      Africa and S.A         N.A. (mostly in
                                                                   Florida)

The last group is another good example of how exotics can take over. In
many places in South Florida near Miami almost every fish in the water is
an exotic. Most are escapees from the home aquarium trade.

Bill Haake                      haake@cvs.rochester.edu    (128.151.80.13)
University of Rochester         (716) 275-8680

gary@softway.oz (Gary Corby) (10/12/89)

We're missing the really big invasion into Australia -- sheep!
They eat away shrub and farmers clear away bushland for them to graze.
The kangaroos love this and consequently there are more now than before
European settlement.  Many other species, especially koalas, suffer as
the native bush is pushed back.

I'm not sure if the crown of thorns starfish was a native or an invader
but some years ago it was a plague upon the Barrier Reef.

Gary
--
Gary Corby  (Friend of Elvenkind)			Softway Pty Ltd
						ACSnet: gary@softway.oz

andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) (10/12/89)

>ORGANISM                             ORIGIN                 INTRODUCED TO
>cane toad				??			australia

Cane toad were introduced to  Australia (not to mention Hawaii and Fiji)
to control insect pests in sugar cane, which they haven't. They are
steadily spreading through Australia from Queensland, the site of their
introduction. Native predators can't control them because they secrete a
potent poison. I haven't heard of any candidate for a biological control.
The best hope is probably that some native predator will learn to eat
only the non-poisonous bits.

Australia has far too many introduced species for me to remember them all
but there is a few below for your list.

Australia's main contribution to the rest of the world seems to be Eucalypts,
it seems most countries have some Eucalypt species growing wild. They are quite
problem in some places e.g California.

Andrew

Domestic Animals gone wild (feral):
cats*, dogs, cattle, goats, pigs*, horses, donkeys, camels.

Introduced mammals:
House Mouse*, several Rat species*, European Rabbit*, European Hare, Red Fox*,
an assortment of Deer species, Water Buffalo*

Birds:
Domestic Pigeon, Spotted Turtle-Dove, European Starling*, House Sparrow*,
Red-Whiskered Bulbul, Common Mynah, Mallard, European Goldfinch, Greenfinch

Fish
several Carp species*, European Perch*, several Trout species*, Gambusia*
several tropical aquarium species

Invertebrates:
Garden Snails & Slugs, Honey Bee, European Wasp, several Cockroaches

Plants
Prickly Pear(was *), Lantana*, Bitou Bush*, Blackberry*, several Thistles*
Water Hyacinth, Salvina and many more

* = particularly disasterous

usenet@agate.berkeley.edu (USENET Administrator;;;;ZU44) (10/13/89)

An example of imported species in the San Francisco Bay Area
is the French garden snail,
imported (according to local folklore at least) as food;
it has taken over in a big way and is a major pain for any
causal gardener.  A more serious disaster is the polyester
garbed tourist, imported from Podunk Iowa, which has driven most
native species to distraction.

isaak@apolling (Mark Isaak) (10/14/89)

I heard this story from an entomologist in Australia.  I don't guarantee
I remember all the details correctly.

    Australia has lots of grasslands.  Ranchers saw this, said "great
pasture!", and started raising cattle.
    The cattle, of course, leave droppings.  Unfortunately, the dung
beetles in Australia have been raised for generations on a diet of
kangaroo droppings and have no taste whatsoever for cow patties.  Thus
the cow patties just sit there and bake in the sun.  Eventually, the
cow patties break down from microbes and other reasons, but by then
they've killed the plants underneath them, leaving little round bare
spots in the fields.
    But is this so bad?  It may look a little unsightly, but there's
plenty of grass left.  However, consider the grasshopper.  Grasshoppers
not only need grass to eat, they need bare ground to lay their eggs.
The pock-marked praries are ideal for them, so you get lots of locusts
eating up not only the cattle pasture, but neighboring croplands and
gardens as well.
    The Australian government is working on this problem.  They've
researched bringing in a new species of dung beetle from India, but
that didn't work because the new beetle didn't have sufficient defenses
against a native parasitic wasp (if I remember correctly).  The problem
is still unsolved.  Who knows where this story will end.
--
Mark Isaak	imagen!isaak@decwrl.dec.com  or  {decwrl,sun}!imagen!isaak
    "To undeceive men is to offend them." - Queen Christina of Sweden

newton@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Mike Newton) (10/15/89)

oxy!palosaari@csvax.caltech.edu (Jedidiah Jon Palosaari) writes:

>>Although not a problem in North America, the mongoose was introduced in
>>Hawaii to reduce the rat population about 100-200 years ago.  Instead, the
>>mongooses decided they liked bird eggs better, and reduced the Hawaiian song
>>bird population to some 23 species, allowing the mongoose to become
>>populous enough to become a pest.  In fact, all mammals except for one type
>>of bat were introduced to Hawaii, although most long ago by the polynesians.

i'd correct the last sentence to read _land_ mammal.  (minor quibble)
(still not sure of it's correctness, but it'd be closer)

the mongoose story is worse than the above hints :  mongeese are
inherently daytime critters.  rats are noctural.

hawaii also offers many examples of plant `infestations' too.  these
can be serious enough to drive out dependent, native, non-plant species.

- mike

--
newton@csvax.caltech.edu	Beach Bums Anonymous, Pasadena President
Caltech 256-80			(Hilo -- it's not just another rainy day!)

andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) (10/16/89)

>Although not a problem in North America, the mongoose was introduced in
>Hawaii to reduce the rat population about 100-200 years ago.  Instead, the
>mongooses decided they liked bird eggs better, and reduced the Hawaiian song
>bird population to some 23 species, ...

Is this correct? My understanding is the major factor in the decline
of Hawaii's endemic birds is thought to be the introduction of mosquito-borne
avian diseases.

Andrew