[sci.bio] Cloning State-of-the-Art

hogge@m2.csc.ti.com (John Hogge) (10/17/89)

Question: many years ago I heard about successful cloning of mice, but I've
got a bet to resolve--has anyone successfully cloned cattle?  If so, is
their commercial practice?

Please respond direct to me--I don't read this.
Thanks,
--John HOGGE@CSC.TI.COM

overt@prc.unisys.com (Christian Overton) (10/21/89)

In article <94761@ti-csl.csc.ti.com>, hogge@m2 (John Hogge) writes:
>Question: many years ago I heard about successful cloning of mice, but I've
>got a bet to resolve--has anyone successfully cloned cattle?  If so, is
>their commercial practice?
>
>Please respond direct to me--I don't read this.
>Thanks,
>--John HOGGE@CSC.TI.COM

The reported cloning of mice turned out to be one of the more
interesting cases of scientific fraud during the late 70s, early 80s.
Dr. Karl Illmensee (who, at the time, was a professor at Zurich,
Geneva or Basel, I forget which one) claimed to have produced viable
adult mice by nuclear transplantation of either embryonal carcinoma
cells and, I believe, 1- or 2- cell stage nuclei into enucleated
zygotes.  He first announced limited success in nuclear
transplantation experiments about 1979 and labs around the world tried
for the next 5 years to duplicate his increasingly more dramatic
results in a variety of organisms, including sheep and rabbits,
without success.  Eventually (circa 1984), one of his own post-docs
caught him switching mice and turned him.

You might wonder how Illmensee could get away with such claims for so
long.  He had previously demonstrated his scientific competence by
doing transplantation experiements in Drosophila that showed that
syncytial nuclei were equivalent and totipotent, and other widely
acclaimed experiments with Anthony Mahowald that showed that cytoplasm
from the Drosophila pole plasm determined the developmental fate of
the nuclei.  These experiments have all been confirmed independently.
Before moving on to Switzerland, Illmensee worked with B. Mintz on
mouse embryonal carcinoma cells (equivalently teratocarcinoma stem
cells) where again he did outstanding work involving micro-injection
experiments on embryonic tissue.  So when he claimed that he could
clone mice by nuclear transplantation, everyone was ready to believe
him (after all frogs had been cloned by nuclear transplantation of
somatic cells nearly 20 years before by John Gurdon and others), and
when no one could duplicate the experiments right away, it was assumed
that Illmensee was either had better hands than anyone else -- a real
possibility because the technique requires substantial talent -- or he
was holding back on some essential trick like how he treated his
water, or pulled his micro-pipettes or something equally arcane.

At the time, one of my lab-mates, Jim McGrath, had been trying to
duplicate the experiment for 3 years when Illmensee made a visit to
the lab and told Jim that he would show him exactly the experimental
protocol.  Everything was set up -- the pipettes pulled, the water
prepared just right, the critical reagents made under Illmensee's
watchful eye -- and just as they were about to begin the experiment,
Illmensee's wife called and said he had to go shopping with her, and
off he went never to return.

Shortly thereafter, Jim abandon the micro-injection approach in favor
of sendai virus fusion experiments.  He quickly showed, in contrast to
Illmensee's results, that even the nucleus from a 2-cell stage embryo
could not support development to term.  Jim wrote this up and
submitted it to a prestigious journal which naturally rejected it
because Illmensee had already shown that he could clone to term.  Of
course, this journal's responsiveness to Jim's work changed
dramatically after Illmensee was discredited.

Jim's initial work was been pursued by many others in the following
years and has had a major impact on our understanding of the maternal
and paternal genetic contribution: the bottom line here is that while
the DNA sequences contributed maternally and paternally are
essentially equivalent in mammals, the genetic contribution is
different due to "masking" of the expression of a small subset of the
genes.  For development to proceed normally requires a haploid
complement prepared by spermatogenesis and a haploid complement
prepared by oogenesis.

What this means is that mammals CANNOT be cloned from somatic cells
and maybe not at all.  The only possible out is that clones might be
produced by blastoderm injection of embryonal carcinoma cells, or
their normal equivalents, accompanied by the complete removal of the
host inner cell mass.  As has been known for the last 15 years or so,
if the host inner cell mass is not removed then a chimeric organism will
be produced.  So, if anyone wants to volunteer to have a testicular or
ovarian teratoma generated from which embryonal carcinoma cells can be
derived, then there is a remote possibility in the distant future that
you could be cloned.