[sci.bio] Omega-3 fatty acids

dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) (11/30/89)

Does anyone know the origin of the name "omega-3 fatty acids"?  Somewhere
I heard that the name derives from the shape of the molecule.  If that's
so, is the molecule shaped like three omegas or like an omega and a 3?

---
Dan Tilque	--	dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM

"There are no Communists left in China."  -- Chiang Kai-shek, 1939

BHB3@PSUVM.BITNET (12/02/89)

In article <859@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM>, dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) says:

>Does anyone know the origin of the name "omega-3 fatty acids"?  Somewhere
>I heard that the name derives from the shape of the molecule.  If that's
>so, is the molecule shaped like three omegas or like an omega and a 3?
>
>---
>Dan Tilque      --      dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM
>
>"There are no Communists left in China."  -- Chiang Kai-shek, 1939

The omega-3 fatty acids cited in studies are EPA(eicosapentanoic acid) and
DHA(docasahexanoic acid).  EPA is in the 10th edition of the Merck Index.
They are probably both in the brand new 11th edition.

                                                     Brent H. Besler
                                                     Ford Motor Scientific
                                                     Reaserch Lab

In article <859@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM>, dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) writes:
> Does anyone know the origin of the name "omega-3 fatty acids"?  Somewhere
> I heard that the name derives from the shape of the molecule.  If that's
> so, is the molecule shaped like three omegas or like an omega and a 3?

	I've not encountered the term "omega-3 fatty acid", or anything
similar.  If you could give me a more specific clue as to the type of
fatty acid, it may jog my memory.

	The only thing even remotely similar to what you mention is the
case of some fatty acids whose hydrocarbon chain is not straight and
linear, but instead has a somewhat U-shaped bend in its middle.  An
example is oleic acid, which has a bend whose apex is at the cis bond.

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP  {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<> TEL 716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX 716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

jdh@pawl.rpi.edu (Joseph Herrenkohl) (12/02/89)

In article <3531@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>In article <859@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM>, dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) writes:
>> Does anyone know the origin of the name "omega-3 fatty acids"?  Somewhere
>> I heard that the name derives from the shape of the molecule.  If that's
>> so, is the molecule shaped like three omegas or like an omega and a 3?
>
>	I've not encountered the term "omega-3 fatty acid", or anything
>similar.  If you could give me a more specific clue as to the type of
>fatty acid, it may jog my memory.
>

><> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
><> UUCP  {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
><> TEL 716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
><> FAX 716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

The  symbol omega refers to the position of a double bond in unsaturated
fatty acids. Usually the numbering scheme is based on the carboxyl group
and the position(s) of the double bond(s) are indicated by the superscript
delta. However an alternative (archaic?) scheme numbers from the terminal
methyl carbon - the position is then indicated by omega. For example,
linoleic acid is (delta)9,12-octadecadienoic acid or (omega)6,9-
octadecadienoic acid.

Joseph Herrenkohl

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (12/02/89)

In article <859@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM>, dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) writes:

> Does anyone know the origin of the name "omega-3 fatty acids"?  Somewhere
> I heard that the name derives from the shape of the molecule.  If that's
> so, is the molecule shaped like three omegas or like an omega and a 3?

	Omega is the last letter of the greek alphabet.  Omega-3 means
that the double bonds (the unsaturation) begin from the third carbon from
the end.  The other major kind is omega-6.  In general, unsaturated bonds
start there and continue every third carbon until they stop. You can also
write instead of omega-3, n-3, but omega-3 sounds catchier.
	Hence arachadonic acid C20:4(n-6) has double bonds at 6,9, 12 and
15  from the end, while the most popular omega-3s are
	EPA (C20:5(n-3), at 3,6,9,12, and 15)
and	DHA (C22:6(n-3), at 3,6,9,12, 15, and 18)

--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) (12/03/89)

Thanks to every one who replied to my query.

For those who don't know, omega-3 fatty acids have been in the press
lately as a "cure" for high chloresterol in the blood.  These fatty acids
are found in some fish, so eating these fish is supposed to keep your
chloresterol down.

---

In article <25773343.1707@rpi.edu>, jdh@pawl.rpi.edu (Joseph Herrenkohl) writes:
> The  symbol omega refers to the position of a double bond in unsaturated
> fatty acids. Usually the numbering scheme is based on the carboxyl group
> and the position(s) of the double bond(s) are indicated by the superscript
> delta. However an alternative (archaic?) scheme numbers from the terminal
> methyl carbon - the position is then indicated by omega. For example,
> linoleic acid is (delta)9,12-octadecadienoic acid or (omega)6,9-
> octadecadienoic acid.

	Oh, great - another scheme for chemical nomenclature. :-)

	Pardon me for a moment while I air a pet gripe.  As far as I know,
fatty acids haven't changed in the past 20 years since I've been out of
college - so why should the nomenclature change?

	As I learned it, linoleic acid was alternatively referred to by the
designation 9,12-octadecadienoic acid.  Period.  No delta in front of the
9,12 and no alternative omega scheme.  As a point of comparison, linolenic
acid (three double carbon bonds) is 9,12,15-octadecatrienoic acid.  Now,
if one wanted to be a IUPAC purist, one would merely write these fatty acids
as cis,cis-9,12-octadecadienoic acid or cis,cis,cis-9,12,15-octadecatrienoic
acid.

	What could be *simpler*?

richardb@fear+loathing.UUCP (Richard Brosseau) (12/05/89)

In article <901@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) writes:
+
+For those who don't know, omega-3 fatty acids have been in the press
+lately as a "cure" for high chloresterol in the blood.  These fatty acids
+are found in some fish, so eating these fish is supposed to keep your
+chloresterol down.
+

These acids are also the key ingredient used to sucessfully marine fish
fry. These acids are introduced in the young fish's food by using
other organisums as 'vectors' or carriers. I believe salmond oil is
high in two particular varities (5w and 6w - something or other;
its been a while since I've researched this).

In any case, I wouldn't by any salmond stocks on account of what
is said in the papers about chloresterol...

+---
+Dan Tilque	--	dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM
+
+"There are no Communists left in China."  -- Chiang Kai-shek, 1939

--
Help wipe out sci.fraud in your lifetime.
Richard Brosseau Cognos Inc. decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!richardb

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (12/08/89)

In article <7645@fear+loathing.UUCP> richardb@cognos.UUCP (Richard Brosseau) writes:
>In article <901@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) writes:
>+
>+For those who don't know, omega-3 fatty acids have been in the press
>+lately as a "cure" for high chloresterol in the blood.  These fatty acids
>+are found in some fish, so eating these fish is supposed to keep your
>+chloresterol down.

Richard Brosseau, being French Canadian has a few problems with English.
Allow me to translate:

>These acids are also the key ingredient used to sucessfully marine fish
>fry.

What he really meant was ``These acids are also the key ingredients
to fry marine fish''

Keeping marine fish in captivity is quite difficult and often results
in high mortality rates. What to do with the bodies ? Since it is known
(Carothers, 1989) that flushing them down the 'loo will result in
infection of endemic stock, domestic disposal must be used. Apart
from a little tainting with cyanide, these fish are perfectly edible. What we
do then is take a hint from our Innuit brethren and cook them in a
fish oil. With a little basil and garlic they're quite good. Don't
forget to remove the scalpels from the caudal peduncle of surgeon
fish or you'll be in for a bit of a nasty shock, though.

>                                           I believe salmond oil is
>high in two particular varities (5w and 6w - something or other;
>its been a while since I've researched this).

Yes, we use a multi grade salmond oil in our subarus. I think it's
20w/50. But Mr. Brosseau, being in a much colder clime would
probably need the lighter 5 weight salmond oil.

Fon an interesting account of how salmon and almond were succesfully
crossed to yield the salmond oil producing organism, check out
the February 1973 issue of _Smithsonian_, p. 44.

>In any case, I wouldn't by any salmond stocks on account of what
>is said in the papers about chloresterol...

Well, you could'nt in any case. All the salmonds are owned by a cartel
of Isrealies.

							RJS
							"this was a joke. this
							was only a joke. in the