[sci.bio] Another Vision Question

sticklen@cpswh.cps.msu.edu (Jon Sticklen) (12/13/89)

i have another vision type question to ask the biologists on the net.
which organisms on the evolutionary totem pole exhibit sacatic (sp?)
motion of their eyes. yes - i know i am probably misspelling that word.
what i mean is the rapid side-to-side motion of the eyes that i know
humans do. it has always puzzled me whether or not this phenomenon is
generally applicable to the animal kingdom.

thanks,

	Jon Sticklen
	Artificial Intelligence/Knowledge Based Systems Group
	Computer Science Department
	Michigan State University
	East Lansing, MI  48824-1027
	517-353-3711
	FAX: 517-336-1061

honig@ics.uci.edu (David A. Honig) (12/16/89)

In article <5772@cps3xx.UUCP> sticklen@cpswh.cps.msu.edu (Jon Sticklen) writes:

>i have another vision type question to ask the biologists on the net.
>which organisms on the evolutionary totem pole exhibit sacatic (sp?)
>motion of their eyes. yes - i know i am probably misspelling that word.
>what i mean is the rapid side-to-side motion of the eyes that i know
>humans do. it has always puzzled me whether or not this phenomenon is
>generally applicable to the animal kingdom.
>
>thanks,

Animal kingdom is too broad a term ---ranging from insects to humans.
Some mammals (eg, cats) make saccidic eye movements.

The general *principle* of orienting a sensor with *varying* resolution
(such as the human eye, or any eye with a fovea, or even an ear with
movable pinnae) is universal, whether its the eyeball that moves or
the whole head (as with owls).

You might check: "the gaze as a flying spot sensor" sec 5.9 in
The Illusion of Reality by H.L.Resnikoff  It has to do with the
advantages of hierarchical organization of info-processing system.

--
David A. Honig
Paternalism is a first step towards totalitarian statism.