[sci.bio] Which animals are color blind ?

muttiah@cs.purdue.EDU (Ranjan Samuel Muttiah) (12/13/89)

Could some knowledgeable biologist on the net tell us which
animals are color conscious and whether there were evolutionary
reasons for this ?

Thank You

honig@ics.uci.edu (David A. Honig) (12/16/89)

In article <8938@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> muttiah@cs.purdue.edu (Ranjan Samuel Muttiah) writes:

>Could some knowledgeable biologist on the net tell us which
>animals are color conscious and whether there were evolutionary
>reasons for this ?
>
>Thank You

Well, I'm not trained as a biologist, but I do study vision.  Color
vision appears all over the animal kindom, with varying numbers of
cone types (ie some animals are 'colorblind' but do discriminate some
bcolors).  Also, the spectral sensitivities of different animals
differ (their best 'red' isn't ours; but there are people who have slightly
different photopigments too.)

Goldfish have color vision.  Some primates have it, some don't.

Reasons: Nocturnal animals tend not to, being entirely rod-based.  The
theory about primate color vision is that red/green discrimination is
real useful if you spend your time looking for ripe fruit against
foliage....but wouldn't you have to examine each species' niche to
discover how color vision is useful?
--
David A. Honig
Paternalism is a first step towards totalitarian statism.

tom@amara.uucp (Tom Doehne) (12/17/89)

In article <25897473.1196@paris.ics.uci.edu> honig@ics.uci.edu (David A. Honig) writes:

> Reasons: Nocturnal animals tend not to, being entirely rod-based.  The
> theory about primate color vision is that red/green discrimination is
> real useful if you spend your time looking for ripe fruit against
> foliage....but wouldn't you have to examine each species' niche to
> discover how color vision is useful?

We can't assume that all genetic variations are useful.   It's enough
that a mutation not be maladaptive, after all.  Also, some traits may
have been useful in an ancestor's environment, but not in the niche
the organism currently occupies.

Steven J. Gould has written often about the fallacy of appealing to
adaptation to the present environment when explaining some trait.
His "Urchin something something Storm" has some essays on this.

Tom Doehne
tom%amara.UUCP@mailgw.cc.umich.edu
...sharkey!amara!tom