[sci.bio] psuedo monous bacteria eating petrolium

winters@gumby.paradyne.com (John Winters) (12/16/89)

I have heard that a strain of psuedomonous bacteria have been developed
that will eat up oil spills.  What if these were injected into an oil well?

What is the strain called?  What does the latin psuedomonous mean?
False what?  Do they require any gasses to live and are these gasses
present in oil wells?  When these bacteria decompose, what would they
turn into, back into oil? or gass?  Could we convert oil wells into
gas fields?

Anyone for a wildcat gas venture? :)

BHB3@PSUVM.BITNET (12/18/89)

In article <6837@pdn.paradyne.com>, winters@gumby.paradyne.com (John Winters)
says:

>I have heard that a strain of psuedomonous bacteria have been developed
>that will eat up oil spills.  What if these were injected into an oil well?
>
>What is the strain called?  What does the latin psuedomonous mean?
>False what?  Do they require any gasses to live and are these gasses
>present in oil wells?  When these bacteria decompose, what would they
>turn into, back into oil? or gass?  Could we convert oil wells into
>gas fields?
>
>Anyone for a wildcat gas venture? :)

I have heard of the possible use of bacteria that will metabolize oil to help
clean up oil spills.  I doubt the use of bacteria would be competative with
thermal catalytic cracking for converting liquid petroleum into gas(propane
 and butane).

                                                 Brent H. Besler

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (12/18/89)

In article <6837@pdn.paradyne.com>, winters@gumby.paradyne.com (John Winters) writes:
> I have heard that a strain of psuedomonous bacteria have been developed
> that will eat up oil spills.  What if these were injected into an oil well?

	They'd die.  They need quite a lot of nitrogen and phosphorus to
take advantage of their carbon source.
	Exxon showed up in Valdez that spraying fertilizer on the beach
was quickest way to clean it up.  You don't have to do any genetic
engineering. There are already bacteria there that would be more than
happy to eat the petroleum if you provided it with enough other
"vitamins. Of course the catch is that so much fertilizer on the beach
can have side effects, and apparently lack of an environmental impact
statement kept them from doing more than several hundred square YARDS of
beach as a demonstration project.  One more drawback.  This is such an
aerobic process, the bacteria's feast only lasts for about the first
inch or so down.
--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine