[sci.bio] What distinguishes a species?

bwood@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Blake Philip Wood) (01/30/90)

I'm aware that the inability to interbreed is the standard definition
of two populations being of differing species, but more precisely,
is it:

a)  can't physically mate due to differing genitals.
b)  could, but don't mate due to differing sexual lures, rituals, etc.
c)  can mate but produce no offspring.
d)  can mate but produce sterile offspring, ie. horse+donkey=mule.

or is it several of the above?

                 Blake P. Wood - bwood@janus.Berkeley.EDU
                 Plasmas and Non-Linear Dynamics, U.C. Berkeley, EECS

frazier@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Frazier) (01/30/90)

In article <33962@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> bwood@janus.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Blake Philip Wood) writes:
>I'm aware that the inability to interbreed is the standard definition
>of two populations being of differing species, but more precisely,
>is it:
>
>a)  can't physically mate due to differing genitals.
>b)  could, but don't mate due to differing sexual lures, rituals, etc.
>c)  can mate but produce no offspring.
>d)  can mate but produce sterile offspring, ie. horse+donkey=mule.

Unfortunately, it is all of these and more.  For example, we are
currently trying to breed Lamprologus pulcher, a species of fish
from Lake Tanganika.  These fish are, for all intents and purposes,
identical to L. brichardi, even to the point of breeding.  The offspring
of such a pair breed true, i.e. each fry will be either a L. pulcher
or a L. brichardi.  Taxonomists have differentiated between the species
based upon subtle differences in scale colorings, although I have also
heard that they are different temperamentally (pulchers are supposedly
more aggressive).  I know, this sounds like splitting human beings
into different species based upon eye color, but there it is - don't
blame me, I'm not into taxonomy.

Greg Frazier
"They thought to use and shame me but I win out by nature, because a true
freak cannot be made.  A true freak must be born." - Geek Love

Greg Frazier	frazier@CS.UCLA.EDU	!{ucbvax,rutgers}!ucla-cs!frazier

dmark@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (01/30/90)

In article <33962@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> bwood@janus.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Blake Philip Wood) writes:
>I'm aware that the inability to interbreed is the standard definition
>of two populations being of differing species, but more precisely,
>is it:
>
>a)  can't physically mate due to differing genitals.
>b)  could, but don't mate due to differing sexual lures, rituals, etc.
>c)  can mate but produce no offspring.
>d)  can mate but produce sterile offspring, ie. horse+donkey=mule.
>
>or is it several of the above?

It is several of the above, and more.  It also could be:

 e)  can mate, and produce fertile offspring, but those offspring have
     strong selective disadvantages, and don't succeed in producing as
     many offspring of their own as a non-hybrid would.
 f)  can mate, and produce healthy, vigorous, fertile offspring, but
     the next generation after that has selective disadvantages.

The current "biological species" model popularized by Ernst Mayr, just
is concerned about whether forms *DO* interbreeed freely in the wild,
not whether they can.  A commonly used example is the ducks, Mallard
(Anas platyrhinchus) and Pintail (Anas acuta).  Hybrids are very rare
in the wild, and they overlap through most of the Pintail's breeding
range.  In captivity, in the absence of same-species, opposite-sex,
they will freely interbreed.  The young, and subsequent generations
apparently are fully fertile and viable.  They are separated normally in the
wild by different courtship rituals, etc.  In the Mayrian view, two
forms should not be lumped if both parental types occur throughout the
overlap zone.

For other groups, especially plants, the Mayrian definition is not
really applicable.  Systematic botanists tend to use a morphological
species definition more often.

David Mark

>                 Blake P. Wood - bwood@janus.Berkeley.EDU
>                 Plasmas and Non-Linear Dynamics, U.C. Berkeley, EECS

samaddar@demon.siemens.com (Sumitro Samaddar) (02/01/90)

Are all dogs in the same species?

howard@53iss6.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Howard Steel) (02/01/90)

In article <22448@siemens.siemens.com> samaddar@demon.UUCP (Sumitro Samaddar)
writes:

>Are all dogs in the same species?

NO. The main problem is usually physical disparity. When's the last time you
saw a St. Bernard - Chihuahua cross?
--
/ / / / / / / / / / :-(I Think, Therefore I Am, I Think :-) / / / / / / / / / /
/ Howard.Steel@Waterloo.NCR.COM 	    NCR CANADA LTD. - 580 Weber St. N /

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (02/02/90)

In article <202@53iss6.Waterloo.NCR.COM>, howard@53iss6.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Howard Steel) writes:
>> Are all dogs in the same species?
>
> NO. The main problem is usually physical disparity. When's the last time you
> saw a St. Bernard - Chihuahua cross?

But a St Bernard will happily breed with a large shepherd, which
will breed with a medium collie, which will breed with a smallish
terrier, which will breed with the Chihuahua.  If one uses solely
the above criterion for being in the same species, one has the
problem that the relation "being in the same species" is no longer
transitive.  Hence, the concept of a species (as a group)
disappears, to be replaced by the comparative but non-transitive
relation of breedability.

Russell

howard@53iss6.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Howard Steel) (02/02/90)

In article <7757@cs.utexas.edu> turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) writes:
>>> Are all dogs in the same species?
>>
>> NO. The main problem is usually physical disparity. When's the last time you
>> saw a St. Bernard - Chihuahua cross?
>
>But a St Bernard will happily breed with a large shepherd <etc down to
							    Chihuahua,)
>If one uses solely the above criterion for being in the same species, one has
>the problem that the relation "being in the same species" is no longer
>transitive.  Hence, the concept of a species (as a group)
>disappears, to be replaced by the comparative but non-transitive
>relation of breedability.

I agree. The problem is there are so many different critera (from diverse
fields) that at some point the concept of species as you point out disappears.
What I was employing was a simplistic approach, often employed by
anthropologists that the main requirment for a member of a species is the
ability to breed viable offspring. In university the argument that you proposed
was forwarded, and the reply was something like; " but can a St. Bernard breed
with a Chihuahua?" The implication also existed that groups of say people
who were physically separated by insurmountable barriers, effectively became
different species (a ludicrous concept, I realize). The point is species is
a nebulous enough term that it can only be appropriately used within the
context of the field specifically being discussed. A Chihuahua is genetically
in the same species as as a St. Bernard for example, and theoretically nothing
prevents the cross-breeding, except physical constraints. The Chihuahua would
probably burst with a litter of St. Bernard, and though the reverse doesn't
pose a problem, somebody will have to put the little guy up to it :-).

--

davidh@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (David Helweg) (02/03/90)

In article <202@53iss6.Waterloo.NCR.COM> howard@53iss6.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Howard Steel) writes:
>In article <22448@siemens.siemens.com> samaddar@demon.UUCP (Sumitro Samaddar)
>writes:
>
>>Are all dogs in the same species?
>
>NO. The main problem is usually physical disparity. When's the last time you
>saw a St. Bernard - Chihuahua cross?

No, I have never seen a St. Bernard - Chihuahua cross. Fortunately, this has
little to do with question. All dogs belong to the same species, Canus
familiarus, for the taxonomists. This physical disparity might be overcome with
a little grant money and a stepping stool.

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (02/04/90)

In article <202@53iss6.Waterloo.NCR.COM> howard@53iss6.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Howard Steel) writes:
>In article <22448@siemens.siemens.com> samaddar@demon.UUCP (Sumitro Samaddar)
>writes:
>
>>Are all dogs in the same species?
>
>NO. The main problem is usually physical disparity. When's the last time you
>saw a St. Bernard - Chihuahua cross?

Ok, DO TELL US what the different ``dog species'' are.

Don't forget the George Basars.

jackson@ttidca.TTI.COM (Dick Jackson) (02/06/90)

OK Chaps, how about cats? Can a house cat breed with any kind of wild cats?
Are lions more different from house cats than St. Bernards are from Pekineze
(can't spell Chihuahua).

Dick Jackson

frazier@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Frazier) (02/07/90)

In article <9558@ttidca.TTI.COM> jackson@ttidcc.tti.com (Dick Jackson) writes:

>OK Chaps, how about cats? Can a house cat breed with any kind of wild cats?
>Are lions more different from house cats than St. Bernards are from Pekineze
>(can't spell Chihuahua).
>
>Dick Jackson

Different species.  Lions and tigers can mate, but the offspring
are mules (so to speak!).  There is a species of wild cat which
can interbreed with the domestic cat, however.  I have no idea
what taxonomists have done with it.

andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) (02/07/90)

In article <25520@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <202@53iss6.Waterloo.NCR.COM> howard@53iss6.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Howard Steel) writes:
>>In article <22448@siemens.siemens.com> samaddar@demon.UUCP (Sumitro Samaddar)
>>writes:
>>
>>>Are all dogs in the same species?
>>
>>NO. The main problem is usually physical disparity. When's the last time you
>>saw a St. Bernard - Chihuahua cross?

Sorry, but "species" is biologically defined (check your high school or
college biology books).

Dogs are all in one species because their offspring are fertile.
Physical difficulties notwithstanding - if you (ahem) gathered sperm
from a St.  Bernard and artificially inseminated a Chihuahua in heat,
you would get offspring which were themselves fertile.

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea@sdd.hp.com (or andrea%hp-sdd@nosc.mil or @ucsd.edu)
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA

DCS100@psuvm.psu.edu (Dave Schweisguth) (02/07/90)

In article <3251@hp-sdd.hp.com>, andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) says:
[much recursive net.litter deleted]
>Dogs are all in one species because their offspring are fertile.
>Physical difficulties notwithstanding - if you (ahem) gathered sperm
>from a St.  Bernard and artificially inseminated a Chihuahua in heat,
>you would get offspring which were themselves fertile.

In fact, the majority of turkeys raised in the U.S. are incapable of natural
mating due to the high body weight for which they are intentionally selected.
Reproduction takes place by artificial insemination with fresh semen. [Frozen
doesn't work ... but that's another story.] If physical inability to mate is a
criterion for speciation, the turkey farmers of America create, miscgenate, and
exterminate hundreds of millions of different species a year!

Neat, eh?

I apologize for any relevance this may have lost to rec.pets people, but I'll
leave it to followers-up to edit the groups line.
/                                                                             \
| Dave Schweisguth            Home: 814-862-0806    dcs100@psuvm.psu.edu      |
| 406 Althouse Laboratory     Work: 814-863-2791    America Online: Von Mordo |
| University Park, PA 16802   FAX:  814-865-2413    GEnie: D.SCHWEISGUT       |
| "When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never  |
|  tried before."                                                -- Mae West  |
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (02/07/90)

In article <31579@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, frazier@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Frazier) writes:
> In article <9558@ttidca.TTI.COM> jackson@ttidcc.tti.com (Dick Jackson) writes:
> >
> >OK Chaps, how about cats? Can a house cat breed with any kind of wild cats?
>
> are mules (so to speak!).  There is a species of wild cat which
> can interbreed with the domestic cat, however.

	I forget where I read the article, but somebody decided that
having a domestic cat with leopard's spots would be really neat. It took
about 12-15 years, as I recall, including a few backcrosses, but he
succeeded. The progeny is a bit a hybrid, but is considered a House cat
with a couple of introduced foreign genes.
--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

debbie@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Debbie Forest) (02/07/90)

In article <3251@hp-sdd.hp.com> andrea@hp-sdd.UUCP (Andrea K. Frankel) writes:

>Physical difficulties notwithstanding - if you (ahem) gathered sperm
>from a St.  Bernard and artificially inseminated a Chihuahua in heat,
>you would get offspring which were themselves fertile.

well, no, you'd probably actually get an exploding chihuahua, but...  :-)

yes, all dogs are the same species.  but why then aren't wolves in the
species too, since dogs and wolves can cross-breed?

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (02/09/90)

In article <2285@uwm.edu> debbie@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Debbie Forest) writes:
>In article <3251@hp-sdd.hp.com> andrea@hp-sdd.UUCP (Andrea K. Frankel) writes:
>>
>>Physical difficulties notwithstanding - if you (ahem) gathered sperm
>>from a St.  Bernard and artificially inseminated a Chihuahua in heat,
>>you would get offspring which were themselves fertile.
>
>yes, all dogs are the same species.  but why then aren't wolves in the
>species too, since dogs and wolves can cross-breed?

The simple case of cross-fertilization (with or without fertile offspring)
is not sufficient to define a species.  The other half of species definition
is the ecological niche the new species occupies in comparison to the parent
group.

When an adaptive shift occurs which allows the offspring to occupy a niche
which tends to isolate the new group from the old further adaptations in the
new group can accelerate the isolation of the new species.

Wolves and Dogs (canis lupus vs canis familiaris) occupy different niches
in general, but not so different that contact is eliminated.  Some purists
would like to say that lupus and familiaris are "sub-species", but general
usage has its effect as well.

Just some additional fuel for the discussion to justify being in sci.bio ;-)
--
Gregory G. Woodbury
Sysop/owner Wolves Den UNIX BBS, Durham NC