[sci.bio] Ancient genes, washing lettuce, etc.

baez@x.ucr.edu (john baez) (04/12/90)

In article <1990Apr12.020601.28357@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu writes:
>Plasmids are rather common in
>fungi which  are eukaryotes, particularily in the mitochondria which are
>themselves believed to be prokaryotic in nature.

In a recent posting I may have been under the temporary
delusion that plasmids sneak into human cells - normally
I know better (though now I wonder: how much evidence is
there that plasmids don't sneak into, say, vertebrate
cells - and how much better "protected" are they than fungal
cells?)

Okay, on to PALEOGENETICS.  This seems really neat to me.
Being in the math department here at UCR, I only hear
about what they're doing in the biology department when
it makes the LA Times :-(.  Today they say that
plant geneticist Michael T. Clegg has used polymerase
chain reaction to amplify some DNA from a magnolia leaf
that's 20 million years old!!  The oldest material previously
decoded was only 7000 years old.

"The magnolia leaf the researchers used was not a conventional
fossil, such as those found in most fossil deposits.  Rather,
it was a so-called "plant leaf compression" containing almost
all of the original leaf tissue[....]

The fossils were preserved at the bottom of a lake that
formed when volcanic lava dammed a valley in the hilley
region [the Clarkia cite in the western foothills of Idaho].
Leaves and other materials settled to the bottom, where the
stagnant, deep water was devoid of oxygen.  Sediments filled
the lake over a period of 750 to 1000 years."

"Once the amount of DNA had been amplified, Clegg and Golenberg
used conventional techniques to identify the sequence[...] of
the ancient leaf's gene that codes for a protein required for
photosynthesis[....] the researchers found that evolution took
place at the rate of one mutational event, or change in the
DNA sequence, every million years."

Do they mean 1 change *for the whole chromosome* per
million years, or for that particular gene, or what?????
One change per chromosome per million years seems awfully
slow to me...

From the sublime to the mundane: here's one of those
dumb questions that festers until you come out and ask
it.  Every time I wash my lettuce, I wonder, if lettuce
grows from the inside out (i.e. the outside leaves now
were always on the outside), if I want to wash off pesticides
isn't it enough to wash off the outside leaves?  (As you
can see, I'm lazy.)