[sci.bio] The Pit Bull Terrier - Cerberuses little brother

M.J.Prince@newcastle.ac.uk (M.J. Prince) (05/24/90)

In article <56557@bbn.BBN.COM> cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>bwalker@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Beth Walker) writes:
>

>the contention is, (and I've been convinced that it is true) is that THAT
>tendency to violence was, in fact, bred into the breeds.
>
>  /Bernie\

You're so wrong, Bernie. Our Pit bull is a very gentle and friendly dog to be
around. We have treat him well and he has yet to show any signs of viciousness.

Do you own a Pit-Bull ?

Yours ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
$      MARK 'The Captain' PRINCE       $   Romeo says :                        $
$      M.J.Prince@newcastle.ac.uk      $   "You and Me Babe, How about it ?"   $

mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) (05/24/90)

	"I weep for the future."

		- Host in resturaunt in Ferris Bueller's Day Off

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (05/25/90)

In article <1990May24.123135.12655@newcastle.ac.uk>, M.J.Prince@newcastle.ac.uk (M.J. Prince) writes:
> In article <56557@bbn.BBN.COM> cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>>bwalker@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Beth Walker) writes:
>>

>>the contention is, (and I've been convinced that it is true) is that THAT
>>tendency to violence was, in fact, bred into the breeds.
>>
>>  /Bernie\
>
> You're so wrong, Bernie. Our Pit bull is a very gentle and friendly dog to be
> around. We have treat him well and he has yet to show any signs of viciousness.
>
> Do you own a Pit-Bull ?
>
> Yours ...
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> $      MARK 'The Captain' PRINCE       $   Romeo says :                        $
> $      M.J.Prince@newcastle.ac.uk      $   "You and Me Babe, How about it ?"   $
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, when you live near a town where a pair of pit bulls literally ripped the
meat off a man while horrified people tried to beat them off, you get some what
disinclined to tolerate them.  BTW, the man died of massive trauma.  The pit
bull is known for being tenacious and difficult to distract once it has
attacked.  We have had SEVERAL dog attacks in our area in the last two or three
years and all of them have been pit bull type dogs.  For some reason, they tend
to be owned by lower class men who use them as protection for illegal
activities or some kind of macho sexual reinforcement.  When I see a man
strutting down the street with a pit bull on a two inch wide leash and the dog
is wearing on of those collars with the inch long spikes on it, I cross to the
other side!
There are other breeds of dogs that make good companions.  Yes, the Rott and
some of the other breeds were originally used for fighting.  HOWEVER, it is the
pit bulls in this country that are used for illegal dog fighting.  I haven't
heard of any strong tendency to use any other breeds for this.
Does anyone else remember that video on the news awhile back where the news
crew happened to be along when animal control officers went to pick up a pit
bull accused of biting someone?  The owner sicked the dog on the animal control
officers and a woman officer was bitten badly while the rest of the crew tried
to beat the dog off.  It was in California some where.
What was ever done to the owner?  It was on tape that she deliberately told the
dog to attack.

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (05/26/90)

According to smidt@milou.cd.chalmers.se (Peter Smidt):
>1. Where could you buy a Pit Bull cub, I doubt you could get it from any
>	ordinary kennel society?

If all you want is a run-of-the-mill Pit
Bull, a kennel society will have it.  But
for a real man's Pit Bull, with X-ray eyes
and radioactive fangs, Brand X Industries
is your only choice.

>2. Which are the different races the Pit Bull is 'composed' of,
>	and in which proportions is the Pit Bull made from the other races?

It's mostly PSU student, with some BIFF
and Portal, with a touch of Oleg Kiselev
and Clay Bond for sheer malice.

>3. Are the real name Pit Bull or should it be Pet Bull Terrier, and where
>	do the name come from?

Actually, they prefer to be called
"Mr. Pit Bull, Sir."

>5. Why are the Pit Bull so aggressive. Common terriers are not considered
>	any dangerous. Is their any biological explanation?

I doesn't knows about others, but my Pit
Bull are agressive when I uses incorrect
verbs.

>6. Is it possibly to train such an aggresive dog, like the Pit Bull
>	to be a watch dog and just not a 'attack' dog?

I think not.  The last time I tried to use
my Pit Bull as a watch dog, it ate my watch.

>7. Could you under any circumstances have children play with a Pit Bull?

Only if it's dead.

>8. Could you consider a dog to be evil, this one would certainly fit
>	the description?

No.  What's evil is a mind-bogglingly
stupid dog owner who cross-posts pet
articles to talk.bizarre.

>9. How much do Pit Bulls differ from dobermans in dangerousness (on a
>	scale from 1 to 100, where a doberman count as 20 and a wild tiger
>	counts as 100)?

I'd rate mine about 80 on a scale of 100.
Compare with 90 for a PSU student with
Usenet privileges.

>10. Do they attack without barking, or do they just snarl when attacking
>	(like the doberman)?

My Pit Bull does a karate yell.  But then,
like I said, I got my Pit Bull from Brand
X Industries, so he's not quite...normal.

>11. What are their physical strength compared to a doberman (or any other
>	similar dog)?

My Pit Bull bites the tops off beer
bottles.  I just wish he would wait for me
to stop drinking when he does that.

>12. Do you need a license to have a trained Pit Bull?

No, but you should need a license to post
to Usenet.

>13. Are they 'forbidden' in any states?

Anyone in a state of confusion should not
have a Pit Bull.

>14. How big are they (weight, lenght)?

Bigger than a breadbox.

>15. Are they god at hearing and smelling?

Pit Bulls are powerful, but I wouldn't go
so far as to call them "gods."

>Enough from me, for this time.

You got that right, Bo.
--
Chip, the new t.b answer man    <chip%tct@ateng.com>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>

smidt@milou.cd.chalmers.se (Peter Smidt) (05/28/90)

In article <414.265cf9a5@desire.wright.edu> sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:
>There are other breeds of dogs that make good companions.  Yes, the Rott and
>some of the other breeds were originally used for fighting.  HOWEVER, it is the

The Rott was breed to be shepherds originally!

--
+=======================================+
"The whole valley is like a smorgasbord."

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (05/29/90)

In article <1990May28.104717.29347@mathrt0.math.chalmers.se>, smidt@milou.cd.chalmers.se (Peter Smidt) writes:
> In article <414.265cf9a5@desire.wright.edu> sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:
>>There are other breeds of dogs that make good companions.  Yes, the Rott and
>>some of the other breeds were originally used for fighting.  HOWEVER, it is the
>
> The Rott was breed to be shepherds originally!
>
> --
> "The whole valley is like a smorgasbord."
> 					-- TREMORS

You are right!   Sorry, I was thinking of Mastiffs, which I think were used for
fighting at one time.  Correct me if I am wrong, I don't mind at all.