Date: Thu, 21 Jun 90 17:01:06 PDT
From: Jim Nusbaum <rjn%snowbird.labs.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
To: buelow@CSD4.CSD.UWM.EDU
Subject: Re: Use of Animals in Research

----- Begin Statement of Purpose -----

Welcome to Animal-Rights!				[20 Jun 1990]

Animal Rights is a collection of unmoderated electronic mailing lists
for the discussion of the relationships between human and non-human
animals.  These lists are administered via the Animal Rights
Electronic Network (AREN), an organization dedicated to bringing the
issues of animal rights/welfare into public discourse.  Currently,
the collection consists of two lists: ar-talk and ar-news.  Ar-talk
is an open discussion forum while ar-news is a news-items-only
mailing list.

The purpose of these lists is provide an open forum where news,
ideas, philosophies, and concerns can be exchanged freely.  Debates
are likely to occur as well as new friendships and associations.  The
underlying goal behind this mailing list is bring the Animal Rights
debate further into the open and give everyone a chance to examine
their own beliefs.  This topic is open to anyone who is interested,
regardless of their opinions on Animal Rights.

There are no restrictions on subject material other than it should be
related to Animal Rights, germane to the mailing list distributing
the posting, and be in accordance with the spirit of the Internet
(e.g.  no commercial advertising).

As a starting point for anyone wishing to investigate Animal Rights,
I strongly recommend Dr. Peter Singer's book "Animal Liberation".  In
this book, he proposes a "New Ethics for our Treatment of Animals"
and many activist groups, such as PETA (People for the Ethical
Treatment of Animals), regard this as the "Bible of the Animal Rights
movement".  The ideas in the book are presented in a scholarly manor
and are not ladden with sentimentality.  It should give anyone a
strong basis for a critical examination of this movement.  I also
strongly recommend Dr. Tom Regan's book "The Case for Animal Rights."

Here is a list of topics likely to be discussed in this list; it
is, by far, not complete:

	Animal Rights			Animal Liberation
	Consumer Product Testing	Cruelty-Free Products
	Vivasection/Dissection		Medical Testing
	Animals in Laboratories		Research Using Animals
	Hunting/Trapping/Fishing	Animals in Entertainment
	Factory Farming			Fur
	Ecology				Environmental Protection
	Vegetarianism			Vegan Lifestyles
	Christian Perspectives		Genetic Engineering

The list is coordinated by: Chip Roberson <csrobe@cs.wm.edu>.
All requests to be added to or deleted from this list should be sent
to:
	Animal-Rights-Request@[xanth.]cs.odu.edu	(Internet)
	Animal-Rights-Request@cs.odu.edu		(Bitnet)
	Animal-Rights-Request@xanth.uucp		(UUCP)
	UK-Animal-Rights-Request@umist.ac.uk		(United Kingdom)
	>INTERNET:Animal-Rights-Request@cs.odu.edu	(CompuServe)

Postings to the lists should be directed to the appropriate address.
To initiate or reply to a discussion, send e-mail to:

	animal-rights-talk@cs.odu.edu	(or ar-talk@cs.odu.edu)

To post a news-related item, send e-mail to:

	animal-rights-news@cs.odu.edu	(or ar-news@cs.odu.edu)

Appropriate postings to news include: posting a news item, requesting
information on some event, or responding to a request for information.
Discussions on ar-news will not be allowed and we ask that any
commentary either be taken to ar-talk or to private e-mail.

Currently, the lists are distributed via gateways to both the WEB
network and the FIDOnet echo Animal Bytes.  A full bidirectional feed
of these lists to FIDOnet is in the works as well as access for all
Bitnet subscribers via a listserv-er.  A newsgroup in USENET News is
likely to come up for a Call for Discussion this summer.  AREN also
administers an Animal Rights section in the PETS/ANIMALS forum on
CompuServe which includes a real-time conference on the 2nd and 4th
Wednesday of every month at 10:00 pm Eastern Time.

Archives of messages posted to this list are available via anonymous
ftp from XANTH.CS.ODU.EDU in the directory `arights'.  An archive-server
is being installed at ODU which will provide access to those who
don't have ftp capabilities.

[John, I did find the "arights" directory after moving through some
higher level directories first. - Ken Buelow]

I would like to thank Scott Yelich (scott@cs.odu.edu), without whose
efforts this list would still be a dream.  Thanks, Scott.  I would
also like to thank Old Dominion University for allowing this mailing
list to use their resources.  Thank you, Tad Guy and ODU.  Thinks
also go to numerous other people who have helped expanding this list
to other networks and who have made the list more functional.

cheers,
-chip

-=- Charles S. Roberson          ARPANET:    csrobe@cs.wm.edu           -=-
-=-                              UUCP:       ...!uunet!cs.wm.edu!csrobe -=-
-=- Dept of Comp. Sci.           Compu$erve: 71500.2056@compuserve.com  -=-
-=- College of William and Mary  Ma Bell:    [W] (804) 221-3420         -=-
-=- Williamsburg, VA 23185                   [H] (804) 229-5530         -=-

------ End Statement of Purpose ------

Jim Nusbaum, Computer Research Lab, Tektronix, Inc.
[ucbvax,decvax,allegra,uw-beaver,hplabs]!tektronix!snowbird!rjn
rjn@snowbird.labs.tek.com
(503) 627-4612

Ken Buelow
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee