[sci.bio] Bugs are microwave-proof

zador-anthony@CS.YALE.EDU (tony zador) (07/11/90)

I recently had the unfortunate experience of discovering an
earwig (a revolting beetle-like creature with pincers on its back
end) crawling under the rotating tray of my microwave. I watched
it continue to crawl happily, even as my oatmeal bioled vigorously
(needless to say, i lost my appetite and went out for dinner).

I removed the oatmeal and blasted the bug at high for a while longer.
It didnt seem at all bothered. I finally disposed of it by hand.

So the question is, Why are bugs microwave-proof?

Tony Zador

eesnyder@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Eric E. Snyder) (07/11/90)

In article <25531@cs.yale.edu> zador-anthony@CS.YALE.EDU (tony zador) writes:

>So the question is, Why are bugs microwave-proof?

This went around alt.folklore.urban a while back.  I am not sure a
definative answer came from that discussion but, here is my $0.02.

It has a lot to do with moisture content.  Bugs such as gnats or flies
are killed by microwaves fairly quickly.  Apparently (I haven't tried),
roaches and now...oops, I deleted your bug of interest... other crunchy
bugs appear resistant.  Try microwaving dry oat meal; it doesn't heat
up much.  Thus, relatively dry bugs are more resistant an us mortals...
ahem, mammals.

TTGATTGCTAAACACTGGGCGGCGAATCAGGGTTGGGATCTGAACAAAGACGGTCAGATTCAGTTCGTACTGCTG
Eric E. Snyder
Department of Biochemistry              Proctoscopy recapitulates
University of Colorado, Boulder         hagiography.
Boulder, Colorado 80309-0215
LeuIleAlaLysHisTrpAlaAlaAsnGlnGlyTrpAspLeuAsnLysAspGlyGlnIleGlnPheValLeuLeu

frist@ccu.umanitoba.ca (07/11/90)

In a recent posting to Sci.bio you write:

>From: zador-anthony@CS.YALE.EDU (tony zador)
>Subject: Bugs are microwave-proof
>Date: 11 Jul 90 03:04:30 GMT

>I recently had the unfortunate experience of discovering an
>earwig (a revolting beetle-like creature with pincers on its back
>end) crawling under the rotating tray of my microwave. I watched
>it continue to crawl happily, even as my oatmeal bioled vigorously
>(needless to say, i lost my appetite and went out for dinner).
>
>I removed the oatmeal and blasted the bug at high for a while longer.
>It didnt seem at all bothered. I finally disposed of it by hand.
>
>So the question is, Why are bugs microwave-proof?
>
>Tony Zador

In the manual for my Litton microwave, they state that microwaves don't
reach the flooor of the oven, and advise having food raised up (eg. on the
rack provided, or in your case, the carousel) in order to cook. They even
go so far as to say that food may be cooked in a shallow foil pie pan, but
I haven't had the nerve to try this myself.

Anyway, the answer is: bugs are NOT microwave-proof.

Brian Fristensky                           frist@ccu.umanitoba.ca
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Plant Science
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA
Office phone:                              204-474-6085
FAX:                                       204-275-5128

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (07/12/90)

zador-anthony@CS.YALE.EDU (tony zador) wrote:
> I recently had the unfortunate experience of discovering an
> earwig (a revolting beetle-like creature with pincers on its back
> end) crawling under the rotating tray of my microwave. I watched
> it continue to crawl happily, even as my oatmeal boiled vigorously...

Someone once told me about a follicle mite that got dunked in
glutaraldehyde, sprayed with gold in a vacuum, cooled with
liquid nitrogen and put in an electron microscope.  The electron
beam warmed it up and got it crawling around.

--
--  Jack Campin   Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland   041 339 8855 x6044 work  041 556 1878 home