[sci.bio] Organelle Reproduction

pi@hpcuhb.HP.COM (Paul Ilgenfritz) (07/10/90)

I read a book on evolution which left me curious about how organelles in a
cell reproduce after a cell divides.  In particular, mitochondria,
ribosomes, and chloroplasts.  Do they divide themselves or are new ones
produced under direction from the nucleus?  The book implys that they
divide since they have their own DNA and RNA but it is never directly
stated.

The book, _Blueprints:__Solving_the_Mystery_of_Evolution_ (Maitland A.
Edey and Donald C. Johanson, Penguin Books), is very good for those who
are not experts in the field.  It may also be entertaining for the experts
since many fascinating anecdotes about the major figures in evolutionary
theory are included.  (e.g.  Darwin dragged his feet on publishing "Origin"
until he found out that another guy was about to scoop him.)

eoph12@castle.ed.ac.uk (I F Gow) (07/11/90)

Organelles reproduce in the same way as their ancestral microbes did,
i.e. by binary fission.   This can be seen on some micrographs as the
organelles appearing like "dumb-bell" structures as they are caught
dividing.

IFG

pi@hpcuhb.HP.COM (Paul Ilgenfritz) (07/12/90)

>Organelles reproduce in the same way as their ancestral microbes did,
>i.e. by binary fission.   This can be seen on some micrographs as the
>organelles appearing like "dumb-bell" structures as they are caught
>dividing.

Thanks for the confirmation, sorry I was to lazy to go to the library.

I can see why analyzing the DNA and RNA of these beasts is such an
exciting topic.  It seems like it may lead to an understanding of how the
first cells evolved.

toms@ncifcrf.gov (Tom Schneider) (07/17/90)

In article <5115@castle.ed.ac.uk> eoph12@castle.ed.ac.uk (I F Gow) writes:
>Organelles reproduce in the same way as their ancestral microbes did,
>i.e. by binary fission.   This can be seen on some micrographs as the
>organelles appearing like "dumb-bell" structures as they are caught
>dividing.
>
>IFG

Unfortunately this is not a good proof.  Mitochondria in serial sections turn
out to be all interconnected.  It's as if they were one long (perhaps
branching) tube.  when a slice is made through them, one gets circles and
elipses mostly.  But a 'dum-bell' is also possible.  Consider sections through
a banana and you will find these shapes.  On the other hand, it does seem
reasonable that they would reproduce by fission since they have their own DNA,
and this DOES replicate.  Since they have an enclosed membrane, it seems that
the membrane must also fission.  That inference is, of course, not the same as
experimental data!  Does anyone know more about how they do replicate?

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms@ncifcrf.gov

teexmmo@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Matthew Moore) (07/18/90)

In article <5180002@hpcuhb.HP.COM> pi@hpcuhb.HP.COM (Paul Ilgenfritz) writes:

>>Organelles reproduce in the same way as their ancestral microbes did,
>>i.e. by binary fission.   This can be seen on some micrographs as the
>>organelles appearing like "dumb-bell" structures as they are caught
>>dividing.
>
>Thanks for the confirmation, sorry I was to lazy to go to the library.
>
>I can see why analyzing the DNA and RNA of these beasts is such an
>exciting topic.  It seems like it may lead to an understanding of how the
>first cells evolved.

Try following up the name (Lyn?) Margulis. She put forward the view
that mitachondria, choroplasts, and the centriole are the descendents
of ancient symbionts, which have been an integral part of the
evolution of eukaryotes.

(mitachondria from bacteria, chloroplasts from blue-greeb algae, which
they resemble, and the centriole from spirochaetes).

pi@hpcuhb.HP.COM (Paul Ilgenfritz) (07/18/90)

Here are some emailed responses with names removed to protect the innocent:

In article <5180001@hpcuhb.HP.COM> you write:

>I read a book on evolution which left me curious about how organelles in a
>cell reproduce after a cell divides.  In particular, mitochondria,
>ribosomes, and chloroplasts.  Do they divide themselves or are new ones
>produced under direction from the nucleus?  The book implys that they
>divide since they have their own DNA and RNA but it is never directly
>stated.

   A brief answer is that the more-or-less autonomous organelles, including
mitochondria, plastids, and centrioles, reproduce themselves but coordinate
their timing of reproduction with the rest of the cell.  Ribosomes are not
autonomous, but are produced from DNA templets in either the nucleus or
an organelle.  A long answer would include discussion of the symbiotic
origin of the eukaryotic cell, gradual transfer of genes from the organelles
to the nucleus (most dramatic in the contrast between animal mitochondria
which have a "stripped down" genome and higher plant mitochondria which
retain more of their original genes), and lots of details about the
regulation of gene expression, packaging and transport of proteins, export
of mRNA's from the nucleus, and regulation of the timing of cell division.

   The larger organelles consist of a mix of proteins coded by their own
genomes and by the cell nucleus.  To take chloroplasts as an example, the
mix ranges from some algae where almost nothing comes from the nucleus to
higher plants where a number of enzymes critical for chloroplast function
are coded in the nucleus and produced using nuclear-type ribosomes.

   A very accessable and visually attractive book, that deals with the
varieties of cell structure in different groups, is called  _Five Kingdoms_
and is by Lynn Margulis and Karen Schwartz.  Most larger libraries should
have it, and there is a second edition in print in paperback.

Subject: Re: Organelle Reproduction
Newsgroups: sci.bio

In article <5180001@hpcuhb.HP.COM> you write:

> I read a book on evolution which left me curious about how organelles in a
> cell reproduce after a cell divides.  In particular, mitochondria,
> ribosomes, and chloroplasts.  Do they divide themselves or are new ones
> produced under direction from the nucleus?  The book implys that they
> divide since they have their own DNA and RNA but it is never directly
> stated.

As I recall, chloroplasts divide semi-independently... their own DNA is
relativly complete.  I've read that the genome of chloroplasts shows a
strong relationship to the genome of cyanophytes ("blue-green algae"),
and that it's generally believed that chloroplasts evolved from
symbiotic cyanophytes.

Mitochondria also contain their own DNA... but I believe that it's much
less complete than chloroplast DNA, and that mitochondria are dependent
on products of nuclear DNA for much of their ability to function.  I
don't recall how mitochondria reproduce.