[sci.bio] pH brine shrimp like best

mcrosby@nyx.UUCP (Matthew Crosby) (09/09/90)

I have done a lab in AP biology to measure the optimal pH for brine shrimp.
I have gone to our school library and several local libraries, and have found
absolutely nothing on the subject,  so I am asking here in the hope that someone
out there subscribes to the Brine Shrimp Quarterly or something.
Does anyone know at what pH brine shrimp live?  My teacher says that he thinks
it would be sligtly alkaline, but he doesn't know.

If no one knows that, then maybe someone knows the pH of some of the places they
are found?   The great salt lake in Utah, for instance?

Can anyone help?

-Matt
mcrosby@nyx.cs.du.edu   ...uunet!isis!nyx!mcrosby

vdra_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Valerie Drake) (09/13/90)

In article <2056@nyx.UUCP> mcrosby@nyx.UUCP (Matthew Crosby) writes:
>I have done a lab in AP biology to measure the optimal pH for brine shrimp.
>I have gone to our school library and several local libraries, and have found
>absolutely nothing on the subject,  so I am asking here in the hope that someone
>out there subscribes to the Brine Shrimp Quarterly or something.
>Does anyone know at what pH brine shrimp live?  My teacher says that he thinks
>it would be sligtly alkaline, but he doesn't know.
>
>If no one knows that, then maybe someone knows the pH of some of the places they
>are found?   The great salt lake in Utah, for instance?
>
>Can anyone help?
>
>-Matt
>mcrosby@nyx.cs.du.edu   ...uunet!isis!nyx!mcrosby

Matt, I am going to help you out by reposting this to REC.AQUARIA, ALT.AQUARIA
and SCI.AQUARIA.  These guys raise brine shrimp all the time and will
probably be more of a help.  Note to responders: please respond to sci.bio
in your cross-post in case Matt does not read this, or respond in email.