[sci.bio] Alternative medicine

eoph12@castle.ed.ac.uk (I F Gow) (09/18/90)

The study was described in last week's Lancet.   Two points which
I personally would be unhappy about are:

1. The Bristol group and the control group were not well age-matched

2. If the length of survival is taken from the date of diagnosis of
breast cancer in *both* groups, then there is no significant difference
between the groups.  The significant difference between the groups
is apparent only if survival in the control group is taken from
date of diagnosis, and the Bristol group taken from date of entry
into the Bristol study.   According to the article, entry into the
Bristol system could take place either months or several years
after the date of diagnosis.   I was surprised that this point did
not seem to be discussed at all, since it meant that depending on how
you do the statistics, there was either a 3x increase in the risk of
mortality, or no difference.   However, I do not pretend that I can
follow the statistical prodecures thoroughly, and it may be that
their recjection of one type of test is statistically valid.

Iain

Newsgroups: sci.med
Subject: Re: Question about Insulin and Growth Hormone
Newsgroups: sci.med