[sci.bio] Bees on vacation

stq@cbnewsi.att.com (scott.t.questad) (09/13/90)

This is a legitimate question which was asked me by a school teacher who,
in turn, was asked by a (2nd grade) student: "Where do bees go in winter?"
i.e. do they hibernate?

All flames gladly accepted only if accompanied by legitimate answer.

jm67@prism.gatech.EDU (MURRAY,JEFFREY P) (09/13/90)

   During the colder months bees typically cluster in the hive as
an almost homogeneous blob. They vibrate their bodies to generate
heat (the greatest temperature is achieved at the center of the
hive, where the queen remains). During the winter months the bees
live off of the honey stores put up earlier in the year (this is
one reason why beekeepers never remove all of the honey from a
hive).

   Apparently, the blob of bees is in almost continual motion, not
only due to the vibration, but also to a rotation of the workers
so that very few of the individual sisters are exposed to the cold
for a great length of time. Note also that the temperature maintained
at the center of the hive during winter months is also the same
as that maintained during warm weather...I forget the exact figure, but
it is quite warm (greater than human body temperature, I am fairly
certain). In very hot weather the bees cluster at the entrance to the
hive and fan their wings to increase the evaporative cooling effect
normally exploited to turn nectar into honey.

   During warm snaps in winter months, the bees may break up somewhat
and go out foraging, but only if the center hive frequency can be
maintained. Why is the temperature so important? I recall that it
has to do with the fertility levels of the queen, and the well-being
of the new brood...remember, the hive is a colony organism. The loss
of some workers on the periphery of the heating blob is inconsequential
whereas the loss of even a small percentage of the queen's level of
fertility (ie. the viability of her previously fertilized eggs) could
be catastrophic.

   Sorry to have blabbed on so long, but bees have always fascinated
me...hope this helps.

.

--
MURRAY,JEFFREY P
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!jm67

aritoxm@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (H.Verhaar.) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep12.194100.13795@cbnewsi.att.com> stq@cbnewsi.att.com (scott.t.questad) writes:

>This is a legitimate question which was asked me by a school teacher who,
>in turn, was asked by a (2nd grade) student: "Where do bees go in winter?"
>i.e. do they hibernate?
>
>All flames gladly accepted only if accompanied by legitimate answer.

OK this is a legitimate answer so wait for the flame.

Common bees(?) that is, honey bees (Apis mellifera) colonies do hibernate in
their nests, staying close together, shivering and eating stored honey (what
do you think they collect nectar for all summer) to keep warm/alive. Most other
social hymenoptera, like bumblebee or wasp colonies die out at the end of
summer, with only the (new) queens to go into hibernation.

OK I wont flame you.

Henk Verhaar <aritoxm@accucx.cc.ruu.nl OR aritoxm@accucx.UUCP>
the local Cannondale boy

(My daytime employer doesn't know a thing about bicycles and my bicycles
don't know about my employer so no global disclaimers. Sorry though)

chappell@ysidro.uchicago.edu (Chappell) (09/14/90)

In article <13614@hydra.gatech.EDU> jm67@prism.gatech.EDU (MURRAY,JEFFREY P) writes:

An interesting (and factually correct) article on how bees hibernate
He points out that temperature stability is vital to apian reproduction.
For an interesting example of how this stability is maintained even in the arctic,
see the August or July issue of Natural History.  Apparently, arctic species
start the cycle early; the Queens have a high body temperature even in the Spring.
AND, you get to read how finding the rectal temperature of a honeybee is actually useful.

Rick Chappell, chappell@stat.wisc.edu

AChamove@massey.ac.nz (A.S. Chamove) (09/14/90)

When the weather turns cold, you can see lots of dead bees at the
entrance to a hive. PResumably a lot of bees just die. The books say that
the males (drones) are evicted from the hive and consequently die.

The rest of the bees stay in the hive and live off the honey they have
stored just for this time (or off the sugar+water that bee keepers give
them when they remove the honey). They stay in a tight ball, vibrating
their wings to generate heat, and maintain their little ball at about 80
degrees if I recall correctly.
That is where bees go in the winter: stay at home and watch TV.
arnold

stq@cbnewsi.att.com (scott.t.questad) (09/15/90)

In article <990@massey.ac.nz>, AChamove@massey.ac.nz (A.S. Chamove) writes:
> When the weather turns cold, you can see lots of dead bees at the
> entrance to a hive. PResumably a lot of bees just die. The books say that
> the males (drones) are evicted from the hive and consequently die.

Then where do baby bees come from?

u-alee%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Alex Lee) (09/15/90)

In article <13614@hydra.gatech.EDU> jm67@prism.gatech.EDU (MURRAY,JEFFREY P) writes:

>   During the colder months bees typically cluster in the hive as
>an almost homogeneous blob. They vibrate their bodies to generate
>heat. . .

Is this only true for areas with mild winters?  What do bees of areas with
harsh winters do?

Alex W. Lee  (801) 264-8922
4612 Green Valley Drive
Salt Lake City, UT  84107-4110

lv08+@andrew.cmu.edu (Lili Velez) (09/17/90)

I believe that bees in harsh climates survive just the same way.
We have a barrel full of bees (It was an unused rainbarrel, closed on
the top with one 4" hole in the side.  A medium-sized swarm moved in
one fine July day a few years ago, and have lived happily ever after) back
home in Northern New Jersey, and during the winter, if you peer into the
hive hole, you can see a clump of bees in the center of one of the honey-
combs, tightly packed together.

My father wraps the entire hive in fiberglass insulation and plastic
weatherproofing when it gets really cold, but I don't think it's absolutely
necessary.  Bees lived for ages without us.....  Still, they are almost
part of my family, the way we talk about them...
Lili Velez
lv08@andrew.cmu.edu

stephens@hoss.unl.edu (David Stephens) (09/17/90)

dave stephens
biology, U. Nebraska

loren@tristan.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep14.203759.27765@cbnewsi.att.com> stq@cbnewsi.att.com (scott.t.questad) writes:
>In article <990@massey.ac.nz>, AChamove@massey.ac.nz (A.S. Chamove) writes:
>> When the weather turns cold, you can see lots of dead bees at the
>> entrance to a hive. PResumably a lot of bees just die. The books say that
>> the males (drones) are evicted from the hive and consequently die.
>>
>Then where do baby bees come from?

	Here is where they "come from". A queen that has recently
emerged goes on a "nuptial flight", and spreads out a special
pheromone. Drones from nearby hives pick it up and chase the queen,
and attempt to mate with her. Those that succeed inject a sperm
capsule into her -- and inject it with such force that their guts are
ripped up, soon killing them. When she returns to her original hive,
or leads a swarm out to found a new hive, she settles down to a life
of laying eggs, carefully tapping sperm that she has stored inside of
her. The drone bees in a hive are actually offspring of the queen; she
does not need them to reproduce. They are kept around during the warm
months, in case a queen bee should emerge from a nearby hive, but when
it gets cold, the drone bees are all killed; there is no need to waste
resources on non-productive members when resources are critical.

	Does that answer your question?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Loren Petrich, the Master Blaster: loren@sunlight.llnl.gov

Since this nodename is not widely known, you may have to try:

loren%sunlight.llnl.gov@star.stanford.edu

rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) (09/21/90)

On <Sep 14 20:37> scott.t.questad writes:

 s> Then where do baby bees come from?

Once the queen has been inseminated on her mating flight she doesn't do it
again. Besides, the queen (and even workers) can lay new drone eggs later.

--
Rick Ellis
Internet: rick@ofa123.fidonet.org