[sci.bio] Attracting Biting Insects

jws@thumper.mlb.semi.harris.com (James W. Swonger) (09/28/90)

 I am interested in making a more effective bug attractor/killer which
specifically attracts biting flies and mosquitos. The commercial ones
with the UV light seem to attract moths and such but few mosquitos,
judging by the body counts I get. Meanwhile the mosquitos seem to
remain interested in me.

 Are there any entomologists out there who know the mechanisms by which
the mosquitos and flies select their prey? Do they go for heat, smell,
motion, some combination? If I can find out the things that attract them
I might be able to devise a more selective and effective lure.

jm67@prism.gatech.EDU (MURRAY,JEFFREY P) (09/28/90)

   My understanding is that mosquitoes are attracted to heat, moisture
and CO2. I can't say which is the most important of the three. Biting
flies are another matter entirely...can't help you with those, though
I expect (given your experience with bug zappers) you are aware of the
pheromone-attractants pitched for use with the bug zappers "during the
daytime". My experience with these is that they increase the number
of biting flies killed by a factor of zero...but the effect on your
wallet is considerably more noteworthy :-)

--
MURRAY,JEFFREY P
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!jm67

manderse@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mark Andersen) (09/29/90)

In article <1990Sep28.131933.7173@mlb.semi.harris.com> jws@thumper.mlb.semi.harris.com (James W. Swonger) writes:

> I am interested in making a more effective bug attractor/killer which
>specifically attracts biting flies and mosquitos.

I seem to recall that some mosquito traps used by local vector control
districts for assessing mosquito populations use CO2 canisters with
the valve set to release gas slowly. Also, I know for a fact that
arachnologists who study ticks use pitfall traps baited with dry ice
for collecting. CO2 sounds like a good bet; try some dry ice.

Mark Andersen                   manderse@orion.oac.uci.edu
Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
UC Irvine, Irvine, CA, 92717

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (09/30/90)

If you're planning to market the device, dry ice would be a major
inconvenience for your customers.  Try using baking soda and some
kind of acid, like vinegar.

jackson@ttidca.TTI.COM (Dick Jackson) (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep28.131933.7173@mlb.semi.harris.com> jws@thumper.mlb.semi.harris.com (James W. Swonger) writes:
> Are there any entomologists out there who know the mechanisms by which
>the mosquitos and flies select their prey? Do they go for heat, smell,
>motion, some combination? If I can find out the things that attract them
>I might be able to devise a more selective and effective lure.

Ditto for fleas? It has always seemed to me that it should be simple to
outwit the humble flea by simulating a fake but deadly dog (cat, whatever)
and occasionally towing it around the yard. But how to fake the dog?
Warmth, humidity ... what is it that the little buggers zero in on?

Dick Jackson

for rn.

AChamove@massey.ac.nz (A.S. Chamove) (10/02/90)

Here in NZ they have a insect attractant trap which they claim will
attract mosquitoes. It uses a liquid which also attracts flies and wasps,
so I have my doubts. As our Summer is just starting, I will give it a try.

I recall an anecdote which may give you some where to start.  Years ago I
was told of an accident where a load of dry ice was spilt.  In the
morning, the dry ice had attracted and killed hords of mosquitoes. And I
think it is true that these insects are attracted to the carbon dioxide
in our exhaled breath.
I would also try sweat and some human exhale concentrate (exhale into a
cigarette filter for example). Tsetse flies are attracted to the the
exhelate of animals, and distillates of this stuff are used to attract
them to traps.

I think you will have a real challenge, for if a mosquito killer were
available, half the world would want one.
arnold