[sci.bio] Killer bee invasion?

Christian.Molick@CS.CMU.EDU (09/14/90)

I had heard that the killer bee was going to reach
the southern US this summer. Did it?

ChristianM

frazier@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Frazier) (09/26/90)

In article <AawARSW00h5K4VwEUY@cs.cmu.edu> Christian.Molick@CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>I had heard that the killer bee was going to reach
>the southern US this summer. Did it?

Yes.
--
"They thought to use and shame me but I win out by nature, because a true
freak cannot be made.  A true freak must be born."  K. Dunn, _Geek_Love_

Greg Frazier	frazier@CS.UCLA.EDU	!{ucbvax,rutgers}!ucla-cs!frazier

afsipmh@cid.aes.doe.CA (Patrick Hertel) (09/28/90)

In article <39338@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> frazier@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Frazier) writes:
>In article <AawARSW00h5K4VwEUY@cs.cmu.edu> Christian.Molick@CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>>I had heard that the killer bee was going to reach
>>the southern US this summer. Did it?
>
>Yes.
>--

 Eh?(Canadianism) Want to expand on that? I understand that as they
 have been wending their way north interbreeding has taken some of
 the sting(punism) out of them.

--
Pat Hertel                 Canadian Meteorological Centre
Analyst/Programmer         2121 N. Service Rd.

michaelm@vax.MCD.3Com.Com (Michael McNeil) (09/29/90)

In article <1990Sep28.163755.23272@cid.aes.doe.CA>, afsipmh@cid.aes.doe.CA
(Patrick Hertel) writes:

>In article <39338@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> frazier@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Frazier)
>writes:
>>In article <AawARSW00h5K4VwEUY@cs.cmu.edu> Christian.Molick@CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>>>I had heard that the killer bee was going to reach
>>>the southern US this summer. Did it?
>>
>>Yes.
>
> Eh?(Canadianism) Want to expand on that? I understand that as they
> have been wending their way north interbreeding has taken some of
> the sting(punism) out of them.

My understanding is the exact opposite -- that one of the mysteries
we're trying to find out about the Africanized "killer" bees is just
why, after many thousands of miles of migration, and after mixing
with many different European bee populations, the Africanized bees
have acquired virtually none of the European bee characteristics
nor lost any of their African-bee heritage of aggressiveness.

--
Michael McNeil			michaelm@vax.DSD.3Com.COM (3comvax.UUCP)
3Com Corporation		ucbvax!hplabs!oliveb!3comvax!michaelm

	[May one] doubt whether, in cheese and timber, worms are generated,
	or, if beetles and wasps, in cow-dung, or if butterflies, locusts,
	shellfish, snails, eels, and such life be procreated of putrefied
	matter, which is to receive the form of that creature to which it
	is by formative power disposed[?]  To question this is to question
	reason, sense, and experience.  If he doubts this, let him go to
	Egypt, and there he will find the fields swarming with mice begot
	of the mud of the Nylus, to the great calamity of the inhabitants.
		A seventeenth century opinion quoted by L. L. Woodruff,
		*The Evolution of Earth and Man*, 1929

frazier@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Frazier) (09/29/90)

In article <1990Sep28.163755.23272@cid.aes.doe.CA> afsipmh@cid.aes.doe.CA (Patrick Hertel) writes:
> Eh?(Canadianism) Want to expand on that? I understand that as they
> have been wending their way north interbreeding has taken some of
> the sting(punism) out of them.

I don't know about that, but from what I understand, they aren't
that big a deal.  That is to say, they are more aggressive than
N.A. bees, and do the group defensive thing, but people as a rule
tend to give bee hives a wide bearth in any case.  So, while they
may have the potential to kill, people aren't (so far) giving
them an excuse to do so.
--
"They thought to use and shame me but I win out by nature, because a true
freak cannot be made.  A true freak must be born."  K. Dunn, _Geek_Love_

Greg Frazier	frazier@CS.UCLA.EDU	!{ucbvax,rutgers}!ucla-cs!frazier

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (09/29/90)

Technically speaking, they are not African bees but Brazilian bees, i.e. a
hybrid produced as a result of the accidental release of some African queens.
(hmm... good name for a movie)  None of these bees are more than 50% African.

Principal differences from European bees is a larger honey sac, greater
honey productivity, a tendency to kill the queen when the hive is disturbed
(makes beekeeping more difficult), and a tendency to send swarms of defenders
against an intruder.

Virtually all deaths caused by the stings of European honeybees are the
result of an allergic reaction.  There are a small number of people who
are so allergic they can die from a single sting.  Deaths in Africa and
South America, however, are often caused by the swarming behavior.  Someone
who accidently upsets a beehive typically gets hundreds of bee stings,
which can be lethal.

AChamove@massey.ac.nz (A.S. Chamove) (10/02/90)

My personal experience with Africanized bees in Africa (West Africa) is
that they need to be given a WIDE berth.  With our European domestic
bees, you can walk within feet of the hive without an attact, and even if
you are in the flight path, a yard or so is usually enough.

With the Africans however, there is no flight path as such.  I have been
attacked by individuals (10-20) at a distance of 50 yards from the hive
in any direction, and friends have been attacked by hundreds at about
half that distance.  The problem is that the first you know is when you
hear that high-pitched whine, and then it is too late. You have gotten
too close and not known it. Then (in the absence of water) all you can do
is run and hope you are running away from the nest (and you have no way
of knowing which way that is). Usually you run away from scrub and trees
into the open.

I think the main effect will be than people will be very wary about
traveling in woods and forests, and especially wary about taking kids
with them.  Hunted animals may welcome this invasion. I dont know if
African bees attack non-domestic animals.
arnold

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (10/03/90)

In article <34370@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>Technically speaking, they are not African bees but Brazilian bees, i.e. a
>hybrid produced as a result of the accidental release of some African queens.
>(hmm... good name for a movie)  None of these bees are more than 50% African.

Quite right.   This is why the insect experts, such as Dr Taylor, who are
studying these bees call them *Africanized* rather than African.

[BTW, Dr Taylor's work is quite interesting: he has predicted the northern
limit which the Africanized bees will reach in North America.  It includes
us here in Los Angeles, but excludes most of the rest of the US, except Texas,
Arizona and New Mexico.

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (10/05/90)

In article <34370@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
> Technically speaking, they are not African bees but Brazilian bees, i.e. a
> hybrid produced as a result of the accidental release of some African queens.
> (hmm... good name for a movie)  None of these bees are more than 50% African.

This is not true.  Not even all chromosomes, let alone genes, have a
constant survival rate.  There is random variation and selection operating.
Now I have no information on this, but it is quite possible that of the
genes which are mainly responsible for the difference in behavior, the
great majority are of African origin.  In fact, the original purpose of
the experiment which went astray was to breed a type of bee which had the
advantages of both; this meant selection for the appropriate genes.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet)	{purdue,pur-ee}!l.cc!cik(UUCP)