[sci.bio] The Ethics of Species Engineering

drbob@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert H. Woodman) (09/24/90)

In article <1990Sep23.163322.28379@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> sticklen@cps.msu.edu (Jon Sticklen) writes:
>From article <4904@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, by drbob@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert H. Woodman):
<my stuff deleted.  Bob>

>I sympathize with Woodman's thurst, but the conclusion is very circular.
>What constitutes "ethical vacuum" for a particular research
>direction? To avoid this horrible state (ethical vacuum) what can I do?
>
>	a) Do I have to know what my results are going to be,
>	   then consider the ethical implications of those results, then
>	   NOT do the experiment if the implications are somehow not meeting
>	   my ethical standards? Most scientists would claim you cannot do
>	   that because you cannot know what experiemntal results will be in
>	   any a priori way.
>
>	b) So if (a) will not work, then should I go on and do experiemnts
>	   in which results are not certain, but if the results are
>	   not meeting my "ethical standards" maybe I should suppress
>	   the results? Somehow that does not sound too scientific either.
>

>So what should a scientist do?
>
>	---jon---

Jon,

     Suppose that you are pursuing a line of work which involves the com-
parison of human and chimp genes.  You follow that line scientifically.
As you go, you consider the ethical consequences of what you have learned
and what future research results might, or might not, yield.  Now let us
suppose that you have found, from your experimental results, data which
points the way towards species engineering.  What are you to do?

     a.  Sit on the data, and never publish.  If you've got tenure and
         lots of grants, that may be viable, but a young, untenured pro-
         fessor with a family may not find that option so good.  The high
         moral ground is not so easy to take when one's future is at stake.

     b.  Publish the data, continue the research, and hunker down when
         the public finds out and explodes in anger [or at least when
         Jeremy Rifkin explodes in anger :-) ].  That may not be good
         either.  In fact it is probably far *less* helpful, since you
         then run the risk of press and public hysteria and a political
         solution (read Congressional imposition on research) being im-
         plemented.  Your research may then sway in the political winds
         for quite a while with no direction.

     c.  Publish the data, but drop the research.  Find a different line
         of inquiry in the system you are studying and go down it.  This
         is probably not the best solution, but it is better, IMHO, than
         solutions a and b.  If you have clout, or affiliation with sci-
         entists with clout, and if you are feeling particularly "moral"
         about the potential ethical problems of your work, you can call
         an international conference of bioethicists and researchers in
         the same field.  In that conference, you would discuss the re-
         search, the results, and the problems, and then you would seek
         a moratorium on future research along those lines by the whole
         scientific community.

    One of the things that I have noticed about scientists is that they
are perceived by the public as being so focused on the science that they
ignore any ethical problems.  I know that this is not true; it is far too
broad a generalization, but it is, nonetheless, the perception which people
have of scientists.  Furthermore, scientists (or at least many scientists)
encourage this stereotyping by the nonscientific public by *not* paying
attention to the ethical problems inherent in their work.  They give off
an air which says "Only the research is important.  Who cares about any-
body's moral hangups?"

     We as scientists have an obligation to the public, especially if we
are being funded by public money, to consider the ethical implications of
any line of research we pursue.  Furthermore, when we present our findings
to the public, it would behoove us to note and even discuss the ethical
implications of the work.  If all we care about is the research, we run
the risk of offending public sensibilities when we find results from
certain lines of inquiry which contain potentially explosive ethical
implications.  It is past time to quit acting as though we don't under-
stand, or care about ethics, and start demonstrating that we can balance
on the thin wire of "ethical responsibility" versus "scientific freedom."

-=-
*Bob Woodman                  * "A job not worth doing well is not  *
*INTERNET:  woodman.1@osu.edu *  worth doing."--Salvador Luria      *

honig@ics.uci.edu (David Honig) (10/04/90)

In article <4909@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> drbob@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert H. Woodman) writes:
>    One of the things that I have noticed about scientists is that they
>are perceived by the public as being so focused on the science that they
>ignore any ethical problems.

The ethical problems arise when generals, politicians, and unelected
policymakers *employ* the knowledge that scientists find.  Finding
that chimps and humans can breed, and measuring the properties of the
resulting creature, is different from, e.g., proposing to raise a
breed of slaves.  And I agree with others that such a hybrid would
be very interesting.

Uranium fissions; some organophosphates irreversibly bind
acetylcholinesterase.  These are facts.  What you do with them is
subject to moral evaluation, but discovering them is not.

--
David A. Honig
``Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.''

pmm@acsu.buffalo.edu (patrick m mullhaupt) (10/04/90)

In article <270A6B70.15884@ics.uci.edu> honig@ics.uci.edu (David Honig) writes:
>The ethical problems arise when generals, politicians, and unelected
>policymakers *employ* the knowledge that scientists find.  Finding
>that chimps and humans can breed, and measuring the properties of the
>resulting creature, is different from, e.g., proposing to raise a
>breed of slaves.  And I agree with others that such a hybrid would
>be very interesting.

	As a non-biologist I am curious about what scientists would
hope to gain by performing the human/chimp experiment.  What questions
would this experiment shed light on?
	As a more general question; on what criteria should an
experiment, (any experiment), be judged as being worthwhile?  Who
should decide what the criteria are?  Should the general public get
any say in the matter?

	Patrick Mullhaupt

bryans@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Bryan Seigfried) (10/04/90)

pmm@acsu.buffalo.edu (patrick m mullhaupt) writes:

>	As a non-biologist I am curious about what scientists would
>hope to gain by performing the human/chimp experiment.  What questions
>would this experiment shed light on?
>	As a more general question; on what criteria should an
>experiment, (any experiment), be judged as being worthwhile?  Who
>should decide what the criteria are?  Should the general public get
>any say in the matter?
>
>	Patrick Mullhaupt

	I must agree must agree with Pat.  While finding out what a human/
chimp hybrid would be like would be interesting, I find the idea pretty
abhorrent.  How could
one rationalize keeping the being in a lab or some controlled enviroment
all its life.  I do not see anyone anywhere who would extend the poor
creature anything more than sympathy.  It would exist always hated, despised,
or studied in a calculating manner all it life.  Many people struggle with
the meaning of their life, this poor being would know *exacty* why he exists,
and I'm sure that no one has the right to bring sentience to the world for
such cold reasons.

	As far as what it would shed light on, I'm sure it could shed light
on many questions.  However, for any statistical significance to take hold,
there would have to be at least a population of a few hundred.  This amounts
to vurtual slave ;abor *whether or not they are used for more than sciemtific
purposes*.

__
Bryan Siegfried
Biology and economics at the University of Illinois
sigbio@uiuc.edu

seb1@drutx.ATT.COM (Sharon Badian) (10/06/90)

Bryan Siegfried says:
> 	I must agree must agree with Pat.  While finding out what a human/
> chimp hybrid would be like would be interesting, I find the idea pretty
> abhorrent.  ...

This is pretty much what Stephan Jay Gould says. One of the most
interesting experiments we could do, but to his mind, absolutely
unethical (for much the same reasons that Bryan said).

So, ethics and science do meet in some scientists (and I consider
Stephan Jay Gould to be one of the best).

Sharon Badian
AT&T Bell Labs - Denver
att!drutx!seb1

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (10/06/90)

> chimp hybrid would be like would be interesting, I find the idea pretty
> abhorrent.  How could
> one rationalize keeping the being in a lab or some controlled enviroment
> all its life.  I do not see anyone anywhere who would extend the poor
> creature anything more than sympathy.  It would exist always hated, despised,
> or studied in a calculating manner all it life.  Many people struggle with
> the meaning of their life, this poor being would know *exacty* why he exists,
> and I'm sure that no one has the right to bring sentience to the world for
> such cold reasons.

Oh my!  What a chilling image of the future.

What makes you think we would keep the chimpman in a cage?  In a lab?
I think any serious researcher would try to provide a maximum enriched
environment, probably raising the experimental animal in a home setting.

What makes you think _humans_ don't know why they were brought into
existence?  People want kids;  kids are produced to satisfy their parent's
want for kids.  The first chimpman would probably have very loving parents,
all the more so because of their ambition to bring an entire new species
into existence.  Certainly if I were raising one of the members of the
first generation of chimpmanity, I would want to give the creature the
very best start in life that I could.  I'd read it stories, take it to
the zoo, whatever helps it achieve its full potential while having a rich
and enjoyable life.

zippy@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Patrick Tufts) (10/10/90)

bryans@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>pmm@acsu.buffalo.edu (patrick m mullhaupt) writes:
>

>>	As a non-biologist I am curious about what scientists would
>>hope to gain by performing the human/chimp experiment.  What questions
>>would this experiment shed light on?
>>	As a more general question; on what criteria should an
>>experiment, (any experiment), be judged as being worthwhile?  Who
>>should decide what the criteria are?  Should the general public get
>>any say in the matter?
>>
>>	Patrick Mullhaupt
>
>	I must agree must agree with Pat.  While finding out what a human/
>chimp hybrid would be like would be interesting, I find the idea pretty
>abhorrent.  How could
>one rationalize keeping the being in a lab or some controlled enviroment
>all its life.  I do not see anyone anywhere who would extend the poor
>creature anything more than sympathy.  It would exist always hated, despised,
>or studied in a calculating manner all it life.  Many people struggle with
>the meaning of their life, this poor being would know *exacty* why he exists,
>and I'm sure that no one has the right to bring sentience to the world for
>such cold reasons.
>
>	As far as what it would shed light on, I'm sure it could shed light
>on many questions.  However, for any statistical significance to take hold,
>there would have to be at least a population of a few hundred.  This amounts
>to vurtual slave ;abor *whether or not they are used for more than sciemtific
>purposes*.

Interesting - no one seems to mind breeding chimps for experimental
purposes, yet a chimp/human hybrid is 'abhorrent' and a 'vurtual [sic]
slave'.

I suppose you consider chimpanzees primitive enough to enslave?

- Pat

--

			This .sig space for rent.

bryans@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Bryan Siegfried) (10/11/90)

zippy@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Patrick Tufts) writes:

>Interesting - no one seems to mind breeding chimps for experimental
>purposes, yet a chimp/human hybrid is 'abhorrent' and a 'vurtual [sic]
>slave'.

>I suppose you consider chimpanzees primitive enough to enslave?

>- Pat

	Do you want the truth?  No, I do not consider chimpanzees primitive
enough to enslave.  But I believe that for purposes of research that the needs
of humanity take primacy over the dubious rights of the chimpanzees.  I
simply cannot rationalize the halting of medical science so that chimpanzees,
or any other creature, will no longer have to die for research.

	I believe that followups should be directed to alt.flame.

___
Bryan

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (10/11/90)

> 	Do you want the truth?  No, I do not consider chimpanzees primitive
> enough to enslave.  But I believe that for purposes of research that the needs
> of humanity take primacy over the dubious rights of the chimpanzees.  I
> simply cannot rationalize the halting of medical science so that chimpanzees,
> or any other creature, will no longer have to die for research.

So what exactly has you bothered about the chimpman?  Is it that some human
DNA would be used, and you feel a sharp line should be drawn around humanness?
What if the hybrid was 99.99% chimp and 0.01% human?  Would that help?

Would it be okay if the experiment was done with totally non-human DNA, like
chimp/dog?  Or chimp/CAD-generated?

Does your uncomfort extend to non-DNA components of humanness, such as the
mind?  If I discovered a way to upload a copy of human consciousness, then
download it into a chimp brain, would you find that objectionable?
How about if the brain was made out of integrated circuits?

Or is your uncomfort connected to the technology involved?  If I could produce
a sentient chimp solely through selective breeding, could I count on your
approval?

bryans@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Bryan Siegfried) (10/12/90)

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:

>So what exactly has you bothered about the chimpman?  Is it that some human
>DNA would be used, and you feel a sharp line should be drawn around humanness?
>What if the hybrid was 99.99% chimp and 0.01% human?  Would that help?

	The *idea* of the chimpman is not what bothers me so much as what
the life of the creature would be like.  You would be bringing an assumedly
sentient life form into a world which would reject it.  The life of the
chimpman would be like the life of the elephantman.  His differences would
set him so far apart from society that he abhorred.  No one has the right
to create sentience when he knows that sentience could never live a happy
life.

	Attempting to draw a line about humanness is impossible.  Considering
humanity's diversness and the constant effect of evolution, there can never
be a line drawn about humanity, not to such a degree of accuracy.  Trans-
planting human genes into other life forms is not the same.  That is merely
using other life forms to produce human products, such as insulin.  Where it
is applicable, this practice is certainly better than using animal substitutes,
like we use animal insulin to treat diabetes.

	There is an obvious difference here.  What is being discussed here is
a human-chimp mule.  If it is possible, then the creature might possess
sentience.  It would not be a *human*, but it would be a *being*, a
*sentience*.  I hold that all sentients possess the rights of humans, and that
they should be treated just as we treat humans.  The creation of these
mules would be mere exploitation of them.  Exploitation is immoral, illegal.
That is why child pornography is illegal.  This would possibly be worse than
child pornography, if that can be imagined.  That is why I draw a line.

>Would it be okay if the experiment was done with totally non-human DNA, like
>chimp/dog?  Or chimp/CAD-generated?

	Neither dogs nor chimps possess sentience.  They are incapable of
complex thought.  They have simple social structures.  If one argues that
chimpanzees posses very complex social structures, then I would like to
introduce you to human society - a world of not only personal inter-
relationships, but also of governments, corporations, money, and religions
of every imaginable kind.  All human societies have complex social structures.
Even nomadic tribes still in the prehistoric era show obviously complex
societies.  The character of sentience should be obvious.

	Without the sentience, the animals possess no rights.  Just as
we use animals for every kind of research imaginable already, I do not
see how hybrids would be immoral.  How many animals right's activists
protest mules?  Not even they see the hybridization of animals to be immoral.
Going a little further, I have no objections to species engineering
either.  In fact, engineering larger cows, better grains, and new animals
that fill new niches in the economy (Has anyone read _West of Eden_?) would
be a tremendous development for mankind.  I doubt animals right's activists
would agree here, of course.

>Does your uncomfort extend to non-DNA components of humanness, such as the
>mind?  If I discovered a way to upload a copy of human consciousness, then
>download it into a chimp brain, would you find that objectionable?
>How about if the brain was made out of integrated circuits?

	Indeed, the mind makes gives us the sentience which is central to
our humanaity.  No chimp brain could hold the mind of a human They
should already be maximizing the potential of their brain.  I wouldn't
find the transferring of the mind of a person to another medium unless it
was against their will.  If someone wished it, I do not feel it is my
choice to decide.  The only exception would be if everyone wanted themselves
uploaded to computers, which might have an interesting effect on the power
consumption of civilization...

>Or is your uncomfort connected to the technology involved?  If I could produce
							     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>a sentient chimp solely through selective breeding, could I count on your
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>approval?
 ^^^^^^^^

	Yes and no.  Creating a new being would not be bad in itself, but
your intentions may make it so.  If you create them for exploitative reasons,
you have created a permanent underclass expressly for exploitation.  This
is immoral.  It is sort of the old question - is a gun immoral?  It depends
on your intentions.

__
Bryan

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (10/13/90)

> 	The *idea* of the chimpman is not what bothers me so much as what
> the life of the creature would be like.  You would be bringing an assumedly
> sentient life form into a world which would reject it.  The life of the
> chimpman would be like the life of the elephantman.  His differences would
> set him so far apart from society that he abhorred.  No one has the right
> to create sentience when he knows that sentience could never live a happy
> life.

This is a false assumption.  If I created the first chimpman, I can guarantee
that the first generation or two would have a happy and loving environment.
Maybe if somebody else did it, it would be more like the hell of a public
mental health facility, but that does not mean all attempts to give birth
to chimpmanity would have that problem.

Or are you arguing that over the long term chimpmanity would suffer from
race/species prejudice?  If you ask a victim of prejudice whether they
would rather never have existed, I'm sure you'll get a firm no.  What they
want is elimination of prejudice, not elimination of themselves.  Even if
such prejudice becomes a problem for future generations of chimpmanity,
I'm sure they will be grateful for their creation, and human culture might
even be improved as a result of being challenged by the assimilation of an
inferior species.  (Or possibly a superior species, if the chimp DNA happens
to contain greater potential to benefit from neotenization than the ancient
ancestor of Man.)

> *sentience*.  I hold that all sentients possess the rights of humans, and that
> they should be treated just as we treat humans.  The creation of these
> mules would be mere exploitation of them.  Exploitation is immoral, illegal.
> That is why child pornography is illegal.  This would possibly be worse than
> child pornography, if that can be imagined.  That is why I draw a line.

How do you know what's sentient and what's not?  What would a cat or dog
need to do to be considered sentient?  Aren't we really talking about
language here?  And now that a few chimps and gorillas have been taught
sign language, does that mean they're sentient?  And since you've already
indicated a willingness to use chimps for medical research, what's wrong
with doing a little biological/anthrological research too?

> 	Neither dogs nor chimps possess sentience.  They are incapable of
> complex thought.  They have simple social structures.  If one argues that
> chimpanzees posses very complex social structures, then I would like to
> introduce you to human society - a world of not only personal inter-
> relationships, but also of governments, corporations, money, and religions
> of every imaginable kind.  All human societies have complex social structures.
> Even nomadic tribes still in the prehistoric era show obviously complex
> societies.  The character of sentience should be obvious.

Oh, it's "social structures" which define sentience?  One nebulous term
defined in terms of another.  How about if I raise the chimpman as an
atheist.  He won't have a religion, and I won't raise him to loyal to
a particular government.  We'll live on a backwoods farm, and I'll keep
the account books.  He won't be taught to use any tool more complicated
than a rifle.  Will that satisfy you that he is non-sentient?

> 	Without the sentience, the animals possess no rights.  Just as
> we use animals for every kind of research imaginable already, I do not
> see how hybrids would be immoral.  How many animals right's activists
> protest mules?  Not even they see the hybridization of animals to be immoral.
> Going a little further, I have no objections to species engineering
> either.  In fact, engineering larger cows, better grains, and new animals
> that fill new niches in the economy (Has anyone read _West of Eden_?) would
> be a tremendous development for mankind.  I doubt animals right's activists
> would agree here, of course.

I see.  You're against nuclear power, but that doesn't stop you from using
the electricity it generates.  You're against air pollution and greenhouse, but
you continue to drive a car.

> 	Indeed, the mind makes gives us the sentience which is central to
> our humanaity.  No chimp brain could hold the mind of a human They
> should already be maximizing the potential of their brain.  I wouldn't
> find the transferring of the mind of a person to another medium unless it
> was against their will.  If someone wished it, I do not feel it is my
> choice to decide.  The only exception would be if everyone wanted themselves
> uploaded to computers, which might have an interesting effect on the power
> consumption of civilization...

I disagree that a chimp brain couldn't hold a human intelligence if some
way could be found to upload a copy, perhaps perform a little translation,
and download it.  It might not be a complete human intelligence, for example
it might lack language skills, but it would be something.  If we could do
this experiment, then upload it back from the chimp and re-download to a
human, it would be the most important experiment ever in animal behavior.
For the first time, we could understand what another animal perceives by
experiencing it directly, rather than performing laborious experiments
in perception.

Brains are composed of a large number of separate neural organs, e.g.
cerebellum, pons, hippocampus, etc.  If we could temporarily transfer
a human consciousness into whatever organs the experimental subject had
in its brain, we could look at the world through its eyes.  When the
"neuronaut" was returned to his own, human brain, he could use his language
organs to tell us what he saw.

> >Or is your uncomfort connected to the technology involved?  If I could produce
> 							     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >a sentient chimp solely through selective breeding, could I count on your
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >approval?
>  ^^^^^^^^
>
> 	Yes and no.  Creating a new being would not be bad in itself, but
> your intentions may make it so.  If you create them for exploitative reasons,
> you have created a permanent underclass expressly for exploitation.  This
> is immoral.  It is sort of the old question - is a gun immoral?  It depends
> on your intentions.

What if I have no intentions other than curiousity about the end result?
That's a very pure intention--no malice or greed.  Okay, maybe a little
greed when I think about the possible commercial aspects, but not with
any notion of harming the little darlings in any way.  What if dogs didn't
exist, and I was talking about creating the first dog?  Wouldn't that be
a 100% warm and fuzzy motive, which everybody should approve?  Think of it
as being like a dog, but enhanced like the talking animals one often find
in children's stories.