[sci.bio] Antifouling coating

lindsley@cod.NOSC.MIL (William G. Lindsley) (10/07/90)

Does anyone know of a clear coating that can be applied to acrylic or glass that will inhibit biofouling in the ocean environment for approx 6 months?  It is   possible but not desirable to combine this with a cover or a wiping mechanism.  Thanks.

frank@ulticorp.UUCP (Frank Cannavale III/1024000) (10/08/90)

In article <2321@cod.NOSC.MIL> lindsley@cod.NOSC.MIL (William G. Lindsley) writes:

>Does anyone know of a clear coating that can be applied to acrylic or
>glass that will inhibit biofouling in the ocean environment for
>approx 6 months?  It is possible but not desirable to combine this
>with a cover or a wiping mechanism.  Thanks.

I used something called "Classic Yacht" from (I think) Philadelphia
Paints and Resins.  It is a clear coat TBT containing anti-foulant for
outboards and sterndrives.  I used it on my aluminum outdrives where
copper anti-fouling could not be used.  EPA certified and approved.
Did get some small amount of "slime" growth that brushed off easily.
Barnacle growth in the areas where the spray did not reach well.
Overall, the performance was satisfactory for drive units, but for a
acrylic / glass panel....  I don't know.
--
Frank Cannavale III   !uunet!ulticorp!frank   The Ultimate Corp, E. Hanover, NJ
"Yes, you can afford the Trojan 12 Meter that is fiscally irresponsible for

SM10@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (10/12/90)

4

I think you'll fing that if you have a smooth glass surface nothing much
will grow on it anyway. Acrylic may be slightly different since it is
softer and more likely to become roughened over a period of time. On
artificial surfaces such as these it is their microtopography which is
the major determinant of successful biofouling. On smooth glass anything
bigger than a few mm long will probably be removed by water motion. If
the glass is roughened then bigger plants and animals can develop on it.

If it is essential that the glass remains clear, then wiping it
periodically would be your best bet, maybe using bleach to kill off
anything living on it.

What's it for anyway? It might give us a chance to suggest alternative
materials or procedures.

JIM ANDREWS, (SM10@UK.AC.LIV) (TEL 0624-832027)
PORT ERIN MARINE LAB.,
PORT ERIN,
ISLE OF MAN, BRITISH ISLES.

richardb@cognos.UUCP (Richard Brosseau) (10/15/90)

In article <90285.104030SM10@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> SM10@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK writes:

+I think you'll fing that if you have a smooth glass surface nothing much
+will grow on it anyway. Acrylic may be slightly different since it is
+softer and more likely to become roughened over a period of time. On
+artificial surfaces such as these it is their microtopography which is
+the major determinant of successful biofouling. On smooth glass anything
+bigger than a few mm long will probably be removed by water motion. If
+the glass is roughened then bigger plants and animals can develop on it.

This is wrong. As an aquarist, I see that the largest and bushiest algae
patches are on the glass in front of a powerhead. This algae can grow to
several cm long.

+What's it for anyway? It might give us a chance to suggest alternative
+materials or procedures.

This is true.
+
+