[sci.bio] Modern Pleisiosaur?

henry@hutto.uucp (Henry Melton) (10/16/90)

Can anyone tell me about a possible pleisosaur snagged near
Christchurch, New Zealand on April 10, 1977?  I have a multi-generation
xerox of a photo of the beast being hauled out of the water with a
crane and I have no idea where the photo and accompanying text came
from.  Supposedly, it was investigated by the National Science  Museum
of Japan?

Email is fine, I just want information, not speculation.  Don't tell the
people over on sci.skeptic about this :-).

Henry Melton ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!hutto!henry
1-512-8463241 Rt.1 Box 274E Hutto,TX 78634

horvath@granite.cr.bull.com (John Horvath) (10/16/90)

If the pictures is the same one I've seen in another book, the story
was that the remains of a creature were picked up by a Japanese
fishing boat. The remains appeared to be more like an ancient reptile
than a fish. The people on board took a picture of it, that's been
reprinted so many times. Then because the creature smelt so bad, they
tossed it back into the ocean.

Sounds like just the kind of incident to build wild stories on.
In similar incidents, these mysterious dinosaur remains turn out
to be creatively eaten remains of whales.

freeman@argosy.UUCP (Jay R. Freeman) (10/17/90)

In article <794@hutto.UUCP> henry@hutto.uucp (Henry Melton) writes:
>Can anyone tell me about a possible pleisosaur snagged near
>Christchurch, New Zealand on April 10, 1977?  I have a multi-generation
>xerox of a photo of the beast being hauled out of the water with a
>crane and I have no idea where the photo and accompanying text came
>from.

I remember that photo.  At the time, I asked a friend who was a
paleontologist.  She said that the consensus among the knowledgeable
people she knew, who had seen the photo, was that it was a badly
decomposed and perhaps also badly mauled carcass of a large shark,
such as a whale shark.

                                          -- Jay Freeman

	  <canonical disclaimer -- I speak only for myself>

JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET (Josh Hayes) (10/17/90)

In an interesting book titled "In the Wake of the Sea Serpent",
Bernard Heuvelmans shows that basking sharks usually decay in
such a way as to look very much like a plesiosaur, due to the
structure of their skeleton and their relatively tiny braincase.
I suspect that's what this was, which would also explain why
it smelled so bad they had to chuck it or upchuck....

Bernard, by the way, believes in sea "monsters", I tend not to,
but the ocean is such a damn big and alien place I refuse to
rule it out categorically. After all, the giant squid is a
scientifically recognized species (in a monotypic genus,
Architeuthis). Who knows?

Josh Hayes, Zoology Department, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056
voice: 513-529-1679      fax: 513-529-6900
jahayes@miamiu.bitnet, or jahayes@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
I'm back, I'm back! I've been to ancient Greece -- I have proof,
look at this grape!

schumach@convex.com (Richard A. Schumacher) (10/18/90)

In <720@argosy.UUCP> freeman@argosy.UUCP (Jay R. Freeman) writes:
>decomposed and perhaps also badly mauled carcass of a large shark,
>such as a whale shark.

This was featured on an episode of "Arthur Clarke's Mysterious
World". Photos, and sketches by a marine biologist of the decay
of a whale shark made a pretty convincing case for this prosaic
explanation.

henry@hutto.UUCP (Henry Melton) (10/19/90)

As soon as I received email from New Zealand, I figured the original
message had finished its journey.  So now to sum up all the replies I
received:

Japanese fishers snagged something big and rotting, and took a picture
of it.  It SMELLED BAD, so they threw it away.  All we have is the photo
which MAY suggest a dead pleisiosaur but also could easily be a badly
mangled large shark such as a whale shark.

No one has any first hand info.  Just not a very interesting incident.
Thanks to all who replied.