[sci.bio] Define "Living Fossils"

kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/02/90)

In article <4578@husc6.harvard.edu>, Ellington@Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU (Deaddog) writes:

>    I may be misreading your intent, but it seems as though you want to
> classify archaebacteria as 'living fossils'--and there just ain't such a
> thing.
> A.E.
>
> Dept. Mol. Biol.
> Mass. General Hospital
> Non-woof

This may have just been a throw-away line at the end of the message,
but I feel the attitude about "living fossils" points out one of those
debatable points in biology, and one I'd like to comment on.
    First, I agree that the term "living fossil" is tossed around a bit
too liberally, and applied to organisms without thought to being able
to prove what the term implies. There are, for example, plenty of
fossil Coelacanths, and only one known living species - this, by way
of the vernacular, makes it a good example of a "living fossil" - but
this does NOT mean that the modern species has itself persisted all
those millions of years. I presume it is this point that Dr.(?)
Ellington was trying to emphasize - simply because an organism is a
member of an old lineage, and has similar fossilized relatives, does
not mean that organism is itself an old species. Fossils also tell us
relatively little about behavior and biology, so we can never really
be sure, for example, that a modern Coelacanth is a good
representative of its ancestors in any way besides morphology. Yes,
we may never really be able to *prove* that an organism is a living
fossil in the truest sense. This doesn't mean they don't exist.
    There is at least one dramatic case that *almost* identified a
true living fossil: the oldest fossil bee. It was found in 80-million-
year-old amber, and recognizable as a close relative (as in *very*
close) of a modern Stingless bee in the genus _Trigona_. The fossil
bee would NOT appear as the most "primitive" member of the genus, (if
one were to incorporate it into a phylogenetic analysis of Trigona)
either. So, if it had turned out that this same species *did* still
exist, would this not have been a true living fossil? We just need to
be luckier with our paleontological finds, and sooner or later, we'll
have the definitive reply to Dr. Ellington's remark. 8-)
(Just incidentally, how old would something have to be before we
could justify the "fossil" apellation? Opinions? Other definitions
of the term in general?)
Doug Yanega        (Snow Museum, Univ. of KS, Lawrence, KS 66045)
My card: 0 The Fool                        Bitnet: Beeman@ukanvm
"This is my theory, such as it is....which is mine. AAH-HEM!"