[sci.bio] Karyotyping procedure

joan@uncmed.med.unc.edu (11/09/90)

Hello folks.

I need a karyotyping procedure applicable for a small undergraduate
university genetics class.  The procedure should be relatively cheap to do
and basic enough for undergraduates with limited experience to carry out.
This information is for my undergraduate advisor.  Come on, this is your
chance to help out a small rural college in the wilds of Maine!  Not to
mention help college students find the joy in studying genetics.

Thanks.

Joan Shields
UNC-CH

emigh@ncsugn.ncsu.edu (Ted H. Emigh) (11/10/90)

In article <1567@beguine.UUCP> joan@uncmed.med.unc.edu () writes:
>Hello folks.
>
>I need a karyotyping procedure applicable for a small undergraduate
>university genetics class.  The procedure should be relatively cheap to do
>and basic enough for undergraduates with limited experience to carry out.
>This information is for my undergraduate advisor.  Come on, this is your
>chance to help out a small rural college in the wilds of Maine!  Not to
>mention help college students find the joy in studying genetics.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Joan Shields
>UNC-CH

We include a human karyotyping lab in our Basic Genetics Lab.  While it is
not too difficult to do, you must be very careful of the ethical decisions
involved.  Our setup is easy, mainly because there are people on campus
who do this for a living, and we are able to use their containment areas.
We have a written protocol which I can send to anyone interested.

Now, on to some of the ethical problems:
1)	The best karyotyping is done with whole blood, preferably NOT pin
pricks.  There is a real possibility of the blood coming with HIV or hepatitis.
We are EXTREMELY careful of our handling of the blood.  The fixatives will
kill anything, so the completed slides are OK.  The drawn blood is tested for
HIV and hepatitis, but there is always a chance of a false negative.
2)	In the past, we had students karyotyping their own cells.  We have
stopped this.  We now use a single female and male -- both who have had
normal children.  The reason we stopped using student cells was the problem
of discovering students with nonnormal karyotypes -- XYY, balanced
translocations, XY females, etc.  We could not take the risk of a student
discovering her/his "abnormal" karyotype without the benefits of genetic
counseling.
3)	Local Human Subjects Committees may have restrictions which could
axe the experiment.

--Ted--

eesnyder@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Eric E. Snyder) (11/11/90)

In article <6020@ncsugn.ncsu.edu> emigh@ncsugn.UUCP (Ted H. Emigh) writes:
>We have a written protocol which I can send to anyone interested.
>
>Now, on to some of the ethical problems:
>The reason we stopped using student cells was the problem
>of discovering students with nonnormal karyotypes -- XYY, balanced
>translocations, XY females, etc.  We could not take the risk of a student
>discovering her/his "abnormal" karyotype without the benefits of genetic
>counseling.

Do these abnormalities occur at a sufficiently high frequency to
justify this decision or it is a result of the paranoia inspired by
our litigious society?

TTGATTGCTAAACACTGGGCGGCGAATCAGGGTTGGGATCTGAACAAAGACGGTCAGATTCAGTTCGTACTGCTG
Eric E. Snyder
Department of MCD Biology            We are not suspicious enough
University of Colorado, Boulder      of words, and calamity strikes.
Boulder, Colorado 80309-0347
LeuIleAlaLysHisTrpAlaAlaAsnGlnGlyTrpAspLeuAsnLysAspGlyGlnIleGlnPheValLeuLeu

ms5h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Marci Swede) (11/11/90)

When I was an undergrad we did a Karyotype in our genetics lab.  I can
get you the exact details, but for now, this is what i remember.  We
scraped the inner cheek with a tooth pick to obtain cells. These were
placed on a slide and the chromotin was dyed (i can't recall the dye).
The cells were then photographed and a standard karyotype was performed.
 I'll get you the full protocol soon.
Where in Maine are you?