[sci.bio] Tuna/Mercury Danger?

keene@ecs.umass.edu (11/15/90)

Help!!!!! I desperately seek information.
I am a competitive athlete who has found that 120grams of protein a day
is ideal for my body type.  For the last 3 months I have been consuming the
bulk of this protein in the form of Solid White Tuna mainly because each
can contains apx 40grams of protein and only 3-4 grams of fat, and most
importantly it seems to be the most economical.  But a friend of mine
recently asked me how many cans of tuna do I consume a day - apx 3 I
answered.  He then told about the heath risks involved - that is tuna has a
high mercury content, and that anything over 1 can a day can build up toxic
levels of mercury in my system!

Does anybody have any information as to whether my friend was correct or
not.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for high grade protein that I can
replace tuna with would be much appreciated.  (I know chicken and turkey
are prime candidates, but the expense of buying skinless chicken breasts
everyday scares me a bit)

Stefan Keene

aritoxm@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Henk Verhaar) (11/16/90)

In article <11447.274288bf@ecs.umass.edu> keene@ecs.umass.edu writes:
>Help!!!!! I desperately seek information.
>I am a competitive athlete who has found that 120grams of protein a day
>is ideal for my body type.  For the last 3 months I have been consuming the
>bulk of this protein in the form of Solid White Tuna mainly because each

Since when is Tuna flesh white?

>can contains apx 40grams of protein and only 3-4 grams of fat, and most
>importantly it seems to be the most economical.  But a friend of mine
>recently asked me how many cans of tuna do I consume a day - apx 3 I
>answered.  He then told about the heath risks involved - that is tuna has a
>high mercury content, and that anything over 1 can a day can build up toxic
>levels of mercury in my system!

Tunafish are known heavy metal sinks; they contain high levels of practically
any heavy metal that can be found in seawater. So you don't want to consider
just mercury, you'll also have to count in things like zinc or, worse,
cadmium. Tunafish on average contains more cadmium per unit weight than is
acceptable here in Holland (though the rules can't be that strict because it
is not illegal to can and sell tuna). Why and how tunafish accumulate heavy
metals isn't known (I think, at least I havve never seen any explanation) but
it has nothing to do with environmental contamination. Even tunafish from
central oceanic waters exhibit this trait. Of course contamination of seawater
with heavy metals can make things even worse!
My advice would be to lower your daily tunafish intake.

Henk Verhaar <aritoxm@accucx.cc.ruu.nl OR aritoxm@accucx.UUCP>
the local Cannondale boy

(My daytime employer doesn't know a thing about bicycles and my bicycles
don't know about my employer so no global disclaimers. Sorry though)

jokim@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (John H. Kim) (11/18/90)

Blackfin Tuna (I think) and Albacore ("White Meat Tuna") most
assuredly have white flesh.  Not as white as some fish, but
more white than pink.

I think tuna collect heavy metals because they are near the
top of the food chain.  Y'know, concentration at each link
and all.

Does anyone know of any differences between heavy metal content
in Yellowfin Tuna ("Chunk Light") and Albacore?  I already know
Albacore get nowhere near as big as Yellowfin.
John H. Kim                 | (This space to be filled when I
jokim@jarthur.claremont.edu | think of something very clever
uunet!jarthur!jokim         | to use as a disclaimer)