[sci.bio] Quinine

vida@bu-geo.tmc.edu (Vida Jakabhazy) (01/03/91)

Occasionally, I will purchase tonic water and now that I'm married, hubby
drinks lots.  I've always known that it contains quinine which is used to
cure malaria, however, I never knew where it came from.  Flipped open the
handy-dandy dictionary and found:

n: a bitter white salt obtained from cinochona bark and used esp. in
treating malaria

I asked the next best source of info where cinochona(i) are found.  My
husband thinks that it is a south american tree.  If it is, does this mean
that I'm assisting in the destruction of tropical forests?  I mean, removing
bark from a tree is a real effective way of killing it.

If anyone knows more about it, please post.

Thanks very much,

Vida Jakabhazy
vida@bu-geo.bu.edu

mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) (01/04/91)

In article <71500@bu.edu.bu.edu> vida@bu-geo.tmc.edu (Vida Jakabhazy) writes:
>Occasionally, I will purchase tonic water and now that I'm married, hubby
>drinks lots.  I've always known that it contains quinine which is used to
>cure malaria, however, I never knew where it came from.

I noticed quinine on the list of ingredients in Brio, too.  Does anyone
know why quinine is added to these carbonated beverages?

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

In article <71500@bu.edu.bu.edu>, vida@bu-geo.tmc.edu (Vida Jakabhazy) writes:
> Occasionally, I will purchase tonic water and now that I'm married, hubby
> drinks lots.  I've always known that it contains quinine which is used to
> cure malaria, however, I never knew where it came from.  Flipped open the
> handy-dandy dictionary and found:
> n: a bitter white salt obtained from cinochona bark and used esp. in
> treating malaria

	There is *very* little quinine in tonic water.  Since quinine
has a very bitter and distinctive taste, a little bit goes a long way
for flavoring purposes.

	Medicinal use of quinine is another matter, with a typical dosage
being between 0.25 and 0.5 grams.  That is at least 100 times the amount
of quinine in any bottle of tonic water!

> I asked the next best source of info where cinochona(i) are found.  My
> husband thinks that it is a south american tree.  If it is, does this mean
> that I'm assisting in the destruction of tropical forests?  I mean, removing
> bark from a tree is a real effective way of killing it.

	The cinochona tree is found in both South America and Indonesia.
I would not lose much sleep over the loss of cinochona trees as a result
of drinking tonic water; you are apt to cause the destruction of more trees
through buying books and periodicals.  Please get real.

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231   {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635                  {utzoo, uunet}!/      \aerion!larry

In article <1991Jan3.220842.27854@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca>, mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) writes:
> I noticed quinine on the list of ingredients in Brio, too.  Does anyone
> know why quinine is added to these carbonated beverages?

	A small amount of quinine is added as a flavoring.

	Blech...

andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) (01/04/91)

In article <4287@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
> 	The cinochona tree is found in both South America and Indonesia.
> I would not lose much sleep over the loss of cinochona trees as a result
> of drinking tonic water; you are apt to cause the destruction of more trees
> through buying books and periodicals.  Please get real.

Actually the cinchona tree which yields quinine is endemic to south america.
It is cultivated in a number of places in the tropics. Most quinine comes from
plantations in Java.

Andrew