[sci.bio] Cladistics

kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/02/91)

In article <6781@harrier.ukc.ac.uk>, sss3@ukc.ac.uk (S.S.Sturrock) writes:

> While we are at it, the reason cladistics does not work is because it relies
> on similarities of morphology, what about homomorphy?  Also, how can it

This isn't really quite that much of a problem with cladistics. In
fact, it poses more of a problem for *other* taxonomic methods than
it does for cladistics - which is why cladistics is still the method
of choice, among other reasons. The biggest problem with cladistics
is that it assumes all speciation to be vicariant (splitting off of
populations) and dichotomous (a species gives rise to only one new
lineage besides itself) - other modes of speciation will lead to
cladograms which, to a practicing cladist, would be considered poor
and/or unresolved. If there was one widespread hominid species which
gave rise to *different* new species in different parts of its range,
cladistics (assuming it gets everything right) would generate a
polytomy, and no self-respecting cladist tolerates polytomies. Many
other similar plausible evolutionary scenarios can be developed which
would be rejected by cladists because of problems with the trees they
result in. Cladistics also can be thrown off if there are taxa that
belong in the tree and have not been included.

> be applied to fragmentary remains of hominids?  Cladistics relies on

The problem is not how fragmentary the remains are, but how many
*characters* can be gleaned from these fragments for inclusion into
the analysis, and whether these characters are independent of one
another. I know nothing of hominid cladograms, so I don't know how
many characters they use, and whether they are informative characters
or not.

> primitive and advanced features to produce a tree, the problem today is that
> all species are equally evolved, they are at the same point in time.  Some
> species may have a primitive feature (according to us) but may also be

This is why cladistics relies on outgroups - to *AVOID* problems with
arbitrary designations of primitive or derived characters. It sounds
to me like you've never studied cladistic methodology...what is of
critical importance is the presence of *shared, derived* features. The
retention of primitive characters contibutes nothing to a cladistic
hypothesis - only the distribution of *derived* traits that occur in
more than one lineage. If you use an appropriate outgroup, then there
is no problem deciding what is derived and what isn't.

> advanced in other ways.  Also, a similar external feature may evolve
> more than once.

If so, a proper cladistic analysis will *reveal* this fact, as long
as there are enough *other* characters to rely on for a proper
"structure" in the tree. The fewer the number of informative
characters, the less likely you are to recognize parallelisms and
convergences for what they are. If your only character was general
body shape, you'd lump whales, ichthyosaurs, and fish together, but
when you increase the data set, it eventually becomes obvious by the
weight of the evidence that this grouping is based on a convergence
rather than a shared evolutionary history.
    Cladistics is only as good as the data set, and the underlying
assumptions. It ain't perfect but it IS the best we've got!!
(I oughta know - I argue with cladists *all* the time). Cheers,
-------(please include "DY" in subj header of mail to this user)--------
Doug "Speaker-To-Insects" Yanega      "UT!"       Bitnet: KUENTO@UKANVAX
My card: 0 The Fool       (Snow Museum, Univ. of KS, Lawrence, KS 66045)
"Bobby, jiggle Grandpa's rat so it looks alive."   "Roota! Voota! ZOOT!"