[sci.bio] Love, chocolate and caffeine

throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) (01/29/91)

Mark Israel quotes Michael Liebowitz, _The Chemistry of Love_

>   "Our hypothesis about the links between love and chocolate has
>gotten a lot of attention in the press, but it may turn out that
>people turn to chocolate when they're unhappy for the sugar, the
>caffeine, or out of habit, and not to get a shot of PEA."

  But chocolate doesn't contain caffeine, does it?  I've repeatedly
seen claims that it does, but I think that all that it actually
contains is theobromine, (a compound which, contrary to it's name,
contains neither bromine nor God.)  Theobromine is somewhat similar to
caffeine in its pharmacological action, but the levels in modern day
chocolate are much less active than the corresponding amounts of
caffeine in, say, coffee.

   Simple proof that chocolate doesn't contain caffeine:
     If it did, somebody would be marketing a caffeine free chocolate.
     If somebody was marketing a caffeine free chocolate, I'd
       know about it.
     I've never heard of such a thing.
   ERGO
     Chocolate doesn't contain caffeine.

David Throop

hwt@bwdlh490.BNR.CA (Henry Troup) (01/29/91)

In article <1203@ai.cs.utexas.edu>, throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) writes:

|>  But chocolate doesn't contain caffeine, does it?  I've repeatedly
|>seen claims that it does, but I think that all that it actually
|>contains is theobromine, (a compound which, contrary to it's name,
|>contains neither bromine nor God.)  Theobromine is somewhat similar to

It's name after chocolate, or specifically the cocoa plant: Theobroma cocoa.
Theobroma means "Food of the Gods", BTW

Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions | The .signature is the
P.O. Box 3511, Stn. C. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1Y 4H7| lowest form of humour
uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 HWT@BNR.CA +1 613-765-2337 |

lamontg@milton.u.washington.edu (Screaming in Digital) (01/29/91)

In article <1203@ai.cs.utexas.edu> throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) writes:
>   Simple proof that chocolate doesn't contain caffeine:
>     If it did, somebody would be marketing a caffeine free chocolate.
assuming chocolate has caffeine in it, could you extract the caffeine?

>     If somebody was marketing a caffeine free chocolate, I'd
>       know about it.
>     I've never heard of such a thing.
>   ERGO
>     Chocolate doesn't contain caffeine.
    OR
      You can't extract caffeine from chocolate

The only real way to tell is to look up a chemical analysis of chocolate, if
its that important to you.

--
Lamont Granquist--lamontg@milton.u.washington.edu
"I used to trust the media to tell me the truth, tell us the truth.  But, now

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (01/29/91)

In article <1203@ai.cs.utexas.edu> throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) writes:
>Theobromine is somewhat similar to caffeine in its pharmacological action,
>but the levels in modern day chocolate are much less active than the
>corresponding amounts of caffeine in, say, coffee.

In fact, theobromine is virtually inactive in any measure of typical
xanthine activity, compared to caffeine or theophylline.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

josephc@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Simplelogic) (01/29/91)

Caffeine Free Chocolate?  I don't know if that's exactly what is is, but I
have heard of carrob as a 'healthy chocolate substitute'.

Anyone know why?

-- Joseph
josephc@coil.caltech.edu               ...Just another lost soul in the universe

wiggs@milton.u.washington.edu (James Wiggs) (01/30/91)

In article <1203@ai.cs.utexas.edu> throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) writes:

>  But chocolate doesn't contain caffeine, does it?  I've repeatedly
>seen claims that it does, but I think that all that it actually
>contains is theobromine, (a compound which, contrary to it's name,
>contains neither bromine nor God.)

   It contains *both* caffeine and theobromine.

>   Simple proof that chocolate doesn't contain caffeine:
>     If it did, somebody would be marketing a caffeine free chocolate.

   There is a caffeine-free "chocolate".  It's called carob.  Another
beautiful proof ruined by an awkward fact...

>David Throop

James Wiggs
wiggs@chemc2.chem.washington.edu _or_ wiggs@milton.u.washington.edu
#include <std.disclaimer>
"Aaah, they've got the patience of Job."  - Earl Bass

mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) (01/30/91)

In article <15398@milton.u.washington.edu> wiggs@milton.u.washington.edu (James Wiggs) writes:
>In article <1203@ai.cs.utexas.edu> throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) writes:
>>   Simple proof that chocolate doesn't contain caffeine:
>>     If it did, somebody would be marketing a caffeine free chocolate.
>   There is a caffeine-free "chocolate".  It's called carob.  Another
>beautiful proof ruined by an awkward fact...

     I'm sure that James knows this given the quotes he put around
"chocolate"...  Carob isn't chocolate and in fact people who think of it
as a chocolate substitute (instead of as a taste in itself) are usually
quite disapointed when they first taste it.
     David's proof that chocolate doesn't contain caffeine was a joke,
of course.  (Uhh... it was a joke, wasn't it David?)  The real reason
that no one makes a caffeine-free chocolate is that there is no demand
for such a product.  (Or at least, there wouldn't be a demand for it at
the price they'd have to sell it.)

                                Sincerely,

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

stevet@brahms.udel.edu (Steven J Turnauer) (01/30/91)

In article <15398@milton.u.washington.edu> wiggs@milton.u.washington.edu (James Wiggs) writes:

>   There is a caffeine-free "chocolate".  It's called carob.  Another
>beautiful proof ruined by an awkward fact...
>
>James Wiggs

Hey, don't confuse us with facts!

				Steve

--
*** I'm gonna find someone whose heart is in their soul/ Not just a ***
*** pretty face that leaves me in the cold/ Someone who really needs***

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (02/01/91)

In article <15398@milton.u.washington.edu>, wiggs@milton.u.washington.edu (James Wiggs) writes:
> In article <1203@ai.cs.utexas.edu> throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) writes:
>>
>>  But chocolate doesn't contain caffeine, does it?  I've repeatedly
>>seen claims that it does, but I think that all that it actually
>>contains is theobromine, (a compound which, contrary to it's name,
>>contains neither bromine nor God.)
>>

>    It contains *both* caffeine and theobromine.

My information on caffeine is that chocolate contains approximately the
same amount of caffeine in a pound that is found in a cup of coffee.
So to get any significant amount of caffeine you need to eat enough
chocolate to make you sick.

>>   Simple proof that chocolate doesn't contain caffeine:
>>     If it did, somebody would be marketing a caffeine free chocolate.
>
>    There is a caffeine-free "chocolate".  It's called carob.  Another
> beautiful proof ruined by an awkward fact...

Carob tastes weird....

>>David Throop
>

> James Wiggs
> wiggs@chemc2.chem.washington.edu _or_ wiggs@milton.u.washington.edu
> #include <std.disclaimer>
> "Aaah, they've got the patience of Job."  - Earl Bass

Sue, a dedicated chocoholic....

Think I'll go make some fudge.....

mvp@hsv3.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (02/02/91)

In article <15398@milton.u.washington.edu>, wiggs@milton.u.washington.edu (James Wiggs) writes:
>    There is a caffeine-free "chocolate".  It's called carob.

Carob is not chocolate.  Carob is shoe-polish-flavored wax. :-)
--
"There is something about the underhanded use   |  Mike Van Pelt
of power that makes it seem so shrewd, even     |  Headland Technology/Video 7

dak@sq.sq.com (David A Keldsen) (02/03/91)

mvp@hsv3.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:

>In article <15398@milton.u.washington.edu>, wiggs@milton.u.washington.edu (James Wiggs) writes:
>>    There is a caffeine-free "chocolate".  It's called carob.

>Carob is not chocolate.  Carob is shoe-polish-flavored wax. :-)

From _Chocolate:  The Consuming Obsession_ (written, illustrated, and
over-researched by Sandra Boynton (buy this book!))...
(paraphrased, sorry)

"Carob is produced from a Mediterranean evergreen.  Because it can, when mixed
with cocoa butter and sugar, be made to simulate the texture and color of
chocolate, it has been suggested as a substitute for chocolate.

"Of course, the same thing can be said for dirt."

Dak
--
David A. 'Dak' Keldsen of SoftQuad, Inc. email: dak@sq.com  phone: 416-963-8337
"...and the food was good solid stuff for a cold morning, all calories

north@manta.NOSC.MIL (Mark H. North) (02/04/91)

In article <6937@hsv3.UUCP> mvp@hsv3.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
>In article <15398@milton.u.washington.edu>, wiggs@milton.u.washington.edu (James Wiggs) writes:
>>    There is a caffeine-free "chocolate".  It's called carob.
>
>Carob is not chocolate.  Carob is shoe-polish-flavored wax. :-)

WELL, I have never tried carob and now I never will. Thanks for the tip!

>--
>"There is something about the underhanded use   |  Mike Van Pelt
>of power that makes it seem so shrewd, even     |  Headland Technology/Video 7
>when it is abysmally stupid." -- Thomas Sowell  |  ...ames!vsi1!v7fs1!mvp

This is a great quote. You're referring to Saddam, yes?

Mark

wiggs@milton.u.washington.edu (James Wiggs) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb3.034519.6949@sq.sq.com> dak@sq.sq.com (David A Keldsen) writes:
>From _Chocolate:  The Consuming Obsession_ (written, illustrated, and
>over-researched by Sandra Boynton (buy this book!))...
>(paraphrased, sorry)

   Thanks!  I remember this book, and once or twice I've racked my brain
trying to dredge up the full title.  I think this is what they refer to as
a serendipitous occurrence....  I'm going to go out and buy another copy
of this book tomorrow!  It was hysterical!  I particularly liked her
comments about white chocolate...

mvwct@cbnews.att.com (walter.c.turgeon..jr) (02/04/91)

In article <15743@milton.u.washington.edu> wiggs@milton.u.washington.edu (James Wiggs) writes:
>In article <1991Feb3.034519.6949@sq.sq.com> dak@sq.sq.com (David A Keldsen) writes:
>>From _Chocolate:  The Consuming Obsession_ (written, illustrated, and
>>over-researched by Sandra Boynton (buy this book!))...
>>(paraphrased, sorry)
>   Thanks!  I remember this book, and once or twice I've racked my brain
>trying to dredge up the full title.  I think this is what they refer to as
>a serendipitous occurrence....  I'm going to go out and buy another copy
>of this book tomorrow!  It was hysterical!  I particularly liked her
>comments about white chocolate...

 White Chocolate?.?.

 Also called confectioners' chocolate, is known in the chocolate industry
 as compound chocolate. It isn't really chocolate at all. Most or all of
 the cocoa butter has been removed and replaced by another vegetable fat,
 and it contains no chocolate liquor. Also called confectioners' coating,
 it is available in a range of colors, from dark to white and even pastels.

 Just for info:  Purists would limit the use of the word "chocolate" to
 just two forms; solid unsweetened chocolate or its liquid form,
 chocolate liquor. They're right, of course. But the rest of the world
 is happily willing to accept a much broader definition.

 Wally Turgeon, Jr.                  |
 AT&T Technology Network Systems     |
 Dept nbmv220573                     |  PLEASE DO NOT STAPLE IN THIS AREA
 Rm 1W05                             |
 1600 Osgood Street                  |        FOR COMPANY USE ONLY
 North Andover, MA 01845             |
 USA                                 |
 Voice: 508 960 5245                 |
 Email: att!cbnews!mvwct

martin@adpplz.UUCP (Martin Golding) (02/07/91)

In <15747@milton.u.washington.edu> wiggs@milton.u.washington.edu (James Wiggs) writes:

>In article <1991Feb4.083342.25142@cbnews.att.com> mvwct@cbnews.att.com (walter.c.turgeon..jr) writes:
>>>I particularly liked her comments about white chocolate...
>>
>> White Chocolate?.?.
>>

>   OK, I forgot to put the quotation marks around chocolate this time.  Mea
>culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...

>>   [Detailed description of white chocolate deleted...]

Detailed description of white chocolate food like food flavored
substitute, you mean.  If you did the same thing to real chocolate
(ie, remove all the ingredients, make something else) you'd end up
with the same product.

>   What she said about white chocolate is more or less the same as what
>you've said, only humorous. ;^)  It isn't really chocolate at all.  As I
>recall, she said something about white chocolate being for people who
>prefer texture to taste in their food...

What follows is for ALL of you silly people:

If you can't taste the difference between cocoa butter and hydrogenated
vegetable oils, you are in no position to remark about the flavor of ANY
food (the original postings were carob vs chocolate). The stuff you've
described resembles white chocolate as well as Arby's resembles roast beef.

Martin (real men make hollandaise over medium heat) Golding