[sci.bio] A Genetics Question

S.Burger@massey.ac.nz (Sarah Burger) (01/31/91)

I was wondering whether anyone could determine the probable colour
of a foal. The sire is a bay - his sire is a bay, dam is a chestnut.
The dam is a palomino - her sire is a palomino, dam is a chestnut.

Any guesses as to what colour this ( as yet theoretical ) foal might be?

Thanks in advance,
Sarah Burger
School of Information Sciences
Massey University
New Zealand

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (02/01/91)

In article <480sis-b@massey.ac.nz>, S.Burger@massey.ac.nz (Sarah Burger) writes:
> I was wondering whether anyone could determine the probable colour
> of a foal. The sire is a bay - his sire is a bay, dam is a chestnut.
> The dam is a palomino - her sire is a palomino, dam is a chestnut.
>
> Any guesses as to what colour this ( as yet theoretical ) foal might be?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Sarah Burger
> School of Information Sciences
> Massey University
> New Zealand

Actually, a palomino is just a pale chestnut.  In fact, some breeds don't
recognize palomino as a color.  (Never say palomino to an Arabian owner,
we call them 'bright chestnuts')  Bay is a dominant, chestnut is recessive.
To get chestnut the foal needs to inherit one gene for the color from EACH
parent.  To get Bay the foal only needs to inherit one gene for the color
from one parent, the other gene would be chestnut.  Since the sire is bay
but he must carry recessive chestnut, he would give one chance in two of
passing on the bay gene.  Since the dam is palomino, she carries two genes
for chestnut, one pale and one normal.  So, you have two chances in four
of getting a bay, one chance to get a regular chestnut and one to get
a palomino.  I've simplified this a little but this is your chances.
It's really a little more complicated than this; I think that there is
another gene involved that causes the paleness of the palomino.  I do know
that if you breed a palomino to a palomino you usually get a cremora (very
pale almost white, NOT acceptable in palomino circles.)
BTW, I bred my grey mare to a bay stallion and got a chestnut...  The mare
was recessive chestnut and so was the stallion.   I had one chance in eight
of getting a chestnut.  (Grey is dominant and so is bay)

I'm breeding my chestnut this year but quite by coincidence the stallion is
also a chestnut so I know what color I am getting.  Well, not actually by
coincidence, they have some bloodlines in common.  Anyway, color is not a
factor in this breeding, I'm going for strengthening of the particular
bloodlines and, hopefully, an future show horse.  (The bloodlines are
noted for looks, personality and performance.)

	B   	c
       ------------
       |    |     |
    c  | Bc | cc  |
       |    |     |
	-----------
       |    |     |
    p  | Bp | cp  |
       |    |     |
	-----------

kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/02/91)

In article <480sis-b@massey.ac.nz>, S.Burger@massey.ac.nz (Sarah Burger) writes:
> I was wondering whether anyone could determine the probable colour
> of a foal. The sire is a bay - his sire is a bay, dam is a chestnut.
> The dam is a palomino - her sire is a palomino, dam is a chestnut.
>
> Any guesses as to what colour this ( as yet theoretical ) foal might be?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Sarah Burger
> School of Information Sciences
> Massey University
> New Zealand

Okay - this is simple *IF* you make a set of simplifying assumptions
(I know nothing about the genetics of horse coloration, so I *have* to
make these assumptions to answer the question!): if we assume that
there is one color locus, that each alternative color is an allele at
this locus, that there is no sex-linkage, epistasis, or codominance
involved, THEN:
 There is a 25% chance for chestnut (both recessives), a 25% chance
for bay (bay is dominant to chestnut), a 25% chance for palomino
(palomino is also dominant to chestnut), and a 25% chance for whatever
it is that you get when you cross a bay and a palomino - and you don't
give enough information to know in advance what that might be.
-------(please include "DY" in subj header of mail to this user)--------
Doug "Speaker-To-Insects" Yanega      "UT!"       Bitnet: KUENTO@UKANVAX
My card: 0 The Fool       (Snow Museum, Univ. of KS, Lawrence, KS 66045)
"Bobby, jiggle Grandpa's rat so it looks alive."   "Roota! Voota! ZOOT!"

S.Burger@massey.ac.nz (Sarah Burger) (02/07/91)

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my query about horse
colour. Though a bit confusing, I found it very interesting. I definitely
hadn't considered the possibility of a buckskin!!

Thanks again,

Sarah Burger
School of MIS
Massey Univerity
New Zealand

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (02/08/91)

In article <492sis-b@massey.ac.nz>, S.Burger@massey.ac.nz (Sarah Burger) writes:
> I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my query about horse
> colour. Though a bit confusing, I found it very interesting. I definitely
> hadn't considered the possibility of a buckskin!!
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Sarah Burger
> School of MIS
> Massey Univerity
> New Zealand

Actually, unless the palomino is a clear true gold, I think the buckskin
is more attractive.  I used to have a golden buckskin.  He was so flashy
looking with his black mane and tail and black legs.