[sci.bio] Stupid Spider Question

TACON019@ysub.ysu.edu (Fred Ullom) (02/11/91)

Ok, I've been killing these little brown house spiders every chance I
get,see, and my wife said about a month ago that I shouldn't kill them
cause they eat other nasty insects,see... BUT I said that in the house,
their only predator is man so its my job to keep the spider population
down. SO, I decided to quite killing spiders for awhile and sure enough
I now have 5 or 6 spiders on the bathroom ceiling instead of 1 or 2.

So, what limits the house spider population in the world if humans don't
intervene? and what do these little monsters live on when they seem to
spend their whole life wandering about my bathroom ceiling?

Thanks,
tacon019@ysub.ysu.edu (Fred S. Ullom)
Youngstown State University

szarekw@lonexc.radc.af.mil (William J. Szarek) (02/12/91)

In article <91042.103943TACON019@ysub.ysu.edu> TACON019@ysub.ysu.edu (Fred Ullom) writes:
>Ok, I've been killing these little brown house spiders every chance I
>
>So, what limits the house spider population in the world if humans don't
>intervene? and what do these little monsters live on when they seem to
>spend their whole life wandering about my bathroom ceiling?

Everyone knows the "little brown house spiders" (previously known as "little
brown cave spiders") have been with us since the dawn of time.  Their only
other natural enemy is the Hoover.  It is a large and powerful creature that
is usuially dormant and emits a loud howl when it is in search of prey.

Spiders are carnivores they eat creatures smaller than themselves.  It has
been postulated that they prefer to inhabit the bathroom so that they can
capture the tiny parasitic insects that scurry off our bodies when we bathe.
The population is self limiting in that if there are not enough parasites
to go around they will dine on their neighbours thereby correcting the imbalance.

Hope this answers your questions.
buzz

kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/19/91)

In article <2511.27BC86A6@ofa123.fidonet.org>, rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) writes:
> On <Feb 11 15:39> Fred Ullom writes:
>
>  FU> So, what limits the house spider population in the world if humans don't
>  FU> intervene?
>
> Scarcity of food.
>

> --
> Rick Ellis

There is a bit more to it than that - in addition to food limitation,
there is (a) aggressive competition between spiders - they'll eat each
other if they get the chance (b) there are *lots* of spider parasites
in the world, and while any given house might not have all of them,
they still can be quite important...just because they're microscopic
don't mean they ain't there!
-------(please include "DY" in subj header of mail to this user)--------
Doug "Speaker-To-Insects" Yanega      "UT!"       Bitnet: KUENTO@UKANVAX
My card: 0 The Fool       (Snow Museum, Univ. of KS, Lawrence, KS 66045)
"I'll employ my resources to make your puny lives miserable! I'll crush
your pitiful dreams and ambitions like bugs in the dust!" - Calvin

hardend@lonexb.radc.af.mil (Debbie D. Harden) (02/23/91)

In article <2511.27BC86A6@ofa123.fidonet.org> rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) writes:
>On <Feb 11 15:39> Fred Ullom writes:
>
> FU> So, what limits the house spider population in the world if humans don't
> FU> intervene?
>
>Scarcity of food.
>

>--
>Rick Ellis
>Internet: rick@ofa123.fidonet.org
>Compuserve: >internet:rick@ofa123.fidonet.org
>BBS: 714 939-1041

Our three cats do a great job of limiting the house spider population.

Debbie Harden         "And oh, when I'm old and wise.  Heavy words that
Rome Laboratory        tossed and blew me, like autumn winds will blow
                       right through me."  -- Alan Parsons Project