[sci.bio] Evolution & female orgasm

throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) (01/22/91)

     Has women's sexual responsiveness changed since prehistoric times?
Have our sexual practices?
     Most women do not come to orgasm from intercourse alone.  For most
women, intercourse must either be preceeded by or augmented by other
clitoral stimulation.  Has it always been this way?
     I think of cunnilingus and manual stimulation of one's partner as
civilized acts.  I find it hard to believe that stone age people
practiced them -- at least, I've heard no reports of these practices
among chimpanzees.   I don't know that anthropoligist have enquired
about these practices among primitive cultures.
    And cunnilingus leaves no fossil remains.
    But it seems really odd to think that women would have evolved a
physiological capacity for orgasm, but have evolved it in such a way
that it couldn't be triggered (except rarely) by practices that didn't
arise until the advent of civilization.
     Could most prehistoric women come to orgasm from penetration alone?
If so, why can so few modern women?  If not, did prehistoric people
augment penetration in a manner similar to our modern practices?  And if
prehistoric women mostly didn't have orgasm when mating, why did the
capacity for female orgasm evolve?

David Throop

ronald@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Ronald A. Amundson) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan21.170936.10578@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> rpetsche@mrg.CWRU.EDU (rolfe g petschek) writes:
>In article <1178@ai.cs.utexas.edu> throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) writes:
>>
>>    But it seems really odd to think that women would have evolved a
>>physiological capacity for orgasm, but have evolved it in such a way
>>that it couldn't be triggered (except rarely) by practices that didn't
>>arise until the advent of civilization.
>
>Well, this could be an 'accident', like the Panda's Thumb, (a book by
>Jay Gould which I recommend you read).  However I do not support this
>idea, despite the fact that the clitoris is what, in a man develops into
>the penis.
>--
>Rolfe G. Petschek			Petschek@cwru.bitnet

It wouldn't be a "panda's thumb", which is itself an evolved
adaptation (just not a thumb).  But Gould has given a non-adaptational
hypothesis addressing this issue in one of his _Natural History_
essays, (sorry I don't have the reference close at hand) and it sounds
like the one Rolfe rejects.

Gould suggests, on the basis of the developmental homology of the
clitoris and penis, that the female orgasm is a developmental
byproduct of the evolution of the male orgasm.  Male nipples are the
same kind of thing.  This would explain the anatomical arrangement
which seems so "inefficient" when we assume that female orgasm is an
adaptation to encourage intercourse: female orgasm isn't as efficient
a consequence of intercourse as is male orgasm, simply because it's
male ejaculation which makes the babies.  (Together with lots of
female physiology, of course.)

Gould didn't mention (as I recall) one other point possibly explained
by his hypothesis.  It is widely reported that orgasm is _less_
crucial to a female's enjoyment of sex than it is to a male's
enjoyment of sex; females seem to have a richer non-orgasmic sexual
experience.  If this is true (maybe it isn't) it is accounted for by
the evolutionary need for females to _want_ sex, but the lack of an
evolutionary need for them to undergo orgasm, which was (on this
hypothesis) evolved as an experiential accompaniment of ejaculation.

Needless to say, Gould was criticized for undervaluing female
experience as compared with male experience.  This sort of criticism
comes from not understanding the non-adaptationist approach to
explaining biological traits.  Gould was careful to distinguish the
current _importance_ of a trait from that trait's evolutionary
_origin_.  Female orgasm is an important part of human experience (and
non-human experience as well; see S. B. Hrdy, _The Woman that Never
Evolved_).  This does not imply that it evolved _in order to achieve_
that importance.  Our hearing abilities were certainly not evolved in
order for us to appreciate classical symphonies; nonetheless the
experience of listening to classical symphonies is an important part
of the lives of many people.

Ron Amundson

synth@yenta.alb.nm.us (Synth F. Oberheim) (01/22/91)

DISCLAIMER:  The following speculations, observations and opinions are not
intended to be sexisms or prejudices describing modern men and women and
their thoughts, attitudes, and practices, and should bloody well not be
interpreted as such.

throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) writes:

>     Has women's sexual responsiveness changed since prehistoric times?
>Have our sexual practices?

I would say yes, although it's hard to make a blanket answer without
discussing details:

>     Most women do not come to orgasm from intercourse alone.  For most
>women, intercourse must either be preceeded by or augmented by other
>clitoral stimulation.  Has it always been this way?
>     I think of cunnilingus and manual stimulation of one's partner as
>civilized acts.  I find it hard to believe that stone age people
>practiced them -- at least, I've heard no reports of these practices
>among chimpanzees.

I seriously doubt that primitive humans practiced it ... our enjoyment
of sex as its own entity, free and separate from reproduction, obviously
sets us apart from animals that merely have sexual stimulation as a
motivation for reproduction, and, I would think, primitive humans.

>I don't know that anthropoligist have enquired
>about these practices among primitive cultures.

Wait a sec ... it seems you're confusing "primitive man" with "primitive
cultures" in today's world.  The latter are just as biologically matured
as the rest of us.  To think of the people in these primitive cultures
as being on a par with prehistoric humans is ... questionable.

>    But it seems really odd to think that women would have evolved a
>physiological capacity for orgasm, but have evolved it in such a way
>that it couldn't be triggered (except rarely) by practices that didn't
>arise until the advent of civilization.

Human males and human females are biologically quite similiar ... as a
fetus they start out identical.  The sexual organs, in particular, simply
develop along different paths depending on which sex the baby is going to
be -- penis or clitoris, testicles or ovaries.  I think it's safe to say
that human females have always had a sexual response as long as they've
had clitorises, i.e. forever.

>     Could most prehistoric women come to orgasm from penetration alone?

Remember, in purely biological terms, the female does"{not need to have
orgasm or sexual arousal in order to conceive.  It wasn't necessary for
the female to reach an orgasm.  So, hypothetically, for countless generations
of prehistoric humankind, sexual response was rarely found in the female,
simply because it was never explored.

>And if
>prehistoric women mostly didn't have orgasm when mating, why did the
>capacity for female orgasm evolve?

It didn't biologically evolve out of nothing.  Think of it as being
dormant, but always there.

    :: :: :: :: ::     Synth (F. Oberheim)  yenta unix pc  (((((In Stereo)))))
 :: :: :: :: :: :: ::  synth@yenta.alb.nm.us  Albuquerque    where available
Tag - Buster & Babs: "Say good night, Babs." "Good night, Babs."

jeffb@cs.fau.edu (Jeffrey Boser) (01/22/91)

throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) writes:
>      Most women do not come to orgasm from intercourse alone.  For most
> women, intercourse must either be preceeded by or augmented by other
> clitoral stimulation.  Has it always been this way?

consider that the pleasure circuits of the brain are very flexible (how
about S&M?), and it might be possible that sexual response in women is
socially/culturally engrained.

.....Jeff
jeffb@shark.cs.fau.edu

jpalmer@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (John D. Palmer) (01/22/91)

   I believe your facts are not entirely correct; most women do not
acheive orgasm solely through penetration, but clitoral stimulation
is not required for orgasm. . . thus if primitive man engaged in
kissing and caressing, etc, the female may achieve orgasm during intercourse.
      Unfortunately, you are correct that stimulation doesn't leave 'fossile
remains', so we still don't have much information about this.  It's an
interesting question.
                                     Crazyman

jespah@milton.u.washington.edu (Kathleen Hunt) (01/22/91)

From: throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop)
*     Has women's sexual responsiveness changed since prehistoric times?
*Have our sexual practices?
*...
*     I think of cunnilingus and manual stimulation of one's partner as
*civilized acts.  I find it hard to believe that stone age people
*practiced them -- at least, I've heard no reports of these practices
*among chimpanzees.
*...

Just a few notes:  female orgasm does occur in many other mammalian species.
I only know for certain that it has been physiologically confirmed to occur
in stump-tailed macaques, the common chimp, and domestic housecats, but
I haven't looked into the lit for this very much and probably it occurs in
many other mammals as well.  There is some speculation that female orgasm
in some species might be useful for "pumping" the semen up the uterus &
oviduct (this was said re the cats, anyway).

Also, you might be interested to know that the bonobo ("pygmy chimpanzee",
_Pan paniscus_) does quite commonly do mutual masturbation, female-female
clitoral stimulation (known as "genital-genital rubbing" or "G-G rubbing")
and various other means of stimulating the clitoris.  I haven't read
descriptions of cunnilingus in this species.  Female bonobos definitely
go out of their way to enjoy sex, though.

Just some more things to consider.

Kathleen
jespah@milton.u.washington.edu

bohannon@yoko.rutgers.edu (Philip Bohannon) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan21.202957.10822@yenta.alb.nm.us> synth@yenta.alb.nm.us (Synth F. Oberheim) writes:

> >And if
> >prehistoric women mostly didn't have orgasm when mating, why did the
> >capacity for female orgasm evolve?
>
> It didn't biologically evolve out of nothing.  Think of it as being
> dormant, but always there.

I find it makes sense to look at it this way: Evolution rewards those
genetic characteristics which lead to (healthy, surviving) children.
Getting lots of endorphins out of sex leads to more sex more often
leads to more children, so pleasure from sex is (was?) an A+ survival
characteristic.

Why no orgasm every time?  Look at it from the DNA's point of view:  A
male's DNA has the best chance of surviving if it gets distributed to
a bunch of women of childbearing age.  A female's DNA has a whole
different 'idea' -- it would like some useful DNA to combine with,
and thus a big, strong, smart, and thus 'attractive' mate should lead
to more sexaul arousal and  a better chance of orgasm.  If smart males
are more likely to figure out clitoral  stimulation, so much the
better.

BTW: I bet a nickel female orgasms have been rediscovered a million
times over the last million years.  They're in style now, and I vote
we keep it that way.

Disclaimer: With the exception of that last, this is 'academic'
speculation and has very fucking little to do with how I understand
the role of sex in our society and my life.  For example, someone
could start with the above, and decide women should stick to their
'natural' roles like monogamy and child care, or some other sexist
bullshit like that.

Let's hear it for the 20th century survival characteristic of not
blowing ourselves up.

Philip Bohannon			(bohannon@paul.rutgers.edu)

burns@sparkle.uucp (John Burns) (01/22/91)

In _The Straight Dope_, Cecil Adams reports that female stump-tailed
macaques have been observed to climax from oral sex with each other (pp.
64-65).  In the second volume, _More of the Straight Dope_, he adds reports
of female chimpanzees masturbating with twigs and mangos, and of a male
gorilla performing oral sex on his mate.  Whatever the origins of female
orgasm, its recreational use predates humanity.

John A. Burns (burns@das.harvard.edu, burns@huche1.bitnet)
"Birds do it, bees do it, even educated fleas do it."

geb@dsl.pitt.edu (Gordon E. Banks) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan22.000650.3642@chinet.chi.il.us> dhartung@chinet.chi.il.us (Dan Hartung) writes:

>Basically, the author claims that women have never seriously been considered
>in evolutionary studies of 'man', and that if they are, some mysteries can
>be neatly solved (like "Why do we only have hair on our heads?").

We meaning women?  Some of us men have less hair on our heads than
anyplace else (except palms and soles).

whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (01/23/91)

throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) writes:

>     I think of cunnilingus and manual stimulation of one's partner as
>civilized acts.  I find it hard to believe that stone age people
>practiced them -- at least, I've heard no reports of these practices
>among chimpanzees.   I don't know that anthropoligist have enquired
>about these practices among primitive cultures.

Check your sources.  In Cecil Adams' _The_Straight_Dope_ (or possibly
_More_of_the_Straight_Dope_) he describes the sex habits of chimps and apes.
Included -- A chimp using a twig as a dildo, cunnilingus, homosexuality, and
mutual masturbation.
--
whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM | I don't know, who's at DDSW1? | whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM!
I asked YOU who's at DDSW1! Ok, there's a guy at DDSW1, right? | Right!

jmw@brahms.amd.com (Mike Wincn) (01/24/91)

In article <1178@ai.cs.utexas.edu> throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) writes:
[...]
>     Most women do not come to orgasm from intercourse alone.  For most
>women, intercourse must either be preceeded by or augmented by other
>clitoral stimulation.  Has it always been this way?

How do you know this?  What constitutes "most" in your claim?

>     I think of cunnilingus and manual stimulation of one's partner as
>civilized acts.  I find it hard to believe that stone age people
>practiced them -- at least, I've heard no reports of these practices
>among chimpanzees.

What makes you think that sexual practices of chimpanzees has anything to do
with the sexual practices of humans?  (And, just in case you're thinking
of it, I'm not a whit interested in hearing about bestiality.)

[...]
>    But it seems really odd to think that women would have evolved a
>physiological capacity for orgasm, but have evolved it in such a way
>that it couldn't be triggered (except rarely) by practices that didn't
>arise until the advent of civilization.

Only "odd" if your premises are to be believed, which, thus far, have not
been supported whatsoever.  Further, you haven't presented a bit of evidence
to suggest that current sexual practices _haven't_ been in vogue since
pre-history.  The little bit I know of ancient artifacts suggests that they
_have_.

>     Could most prehistoric women come to orgasm from penetration alone?

Who knows?  Why would it matter?

>If so, why can so few modern women?  If not, did prehistoric people
>augment penetration in a manner similar to our modern practices?  And if
>prehistoric women mostly didn't have orgasm when mating, why did the
>capacity for female orgasm evolve?

This is a very silly line of reasoning.  There isn't any way of knowing
answers to this, and your premises are full of holes.  You're at U Texas?
I suggest a refresher course or two in logic and deductive reasoning.
--
Mike Wincn 	jmw@brahms.AMD.COM
(408) 749-3156  DISCLAIMER:  I speak for myself unless noted otherwise.

feit@acsu.buffalo.edu (Elissa Feit) (01/24/91)

In article <5420@husc6.harvard.edu> burns@das.harvard.edu (John Burns) writes:
>In _The Straight Dope_, Cecil Adams reports that female stump-tailed
>macaques have been observed to climax from oral sex with each other (pp.
>64-65).  In the second volume, _More of the Straight Dope_, he adds reports
>of female chimpanzees masturbating with twigs and mangos, and of a male
>gorilla performing oral sex on his mate.  Whatever the origins of female
>orgasm, its recreational use predates humanity.

Ah, but you are making the mistake of envisioning evolution as a
ladder (a common, but no-longer-acceptable metaphor), upon which
we (humans) perch on the top, and chimps and macaques are below us.

On the contrary, evolution is a tree with EVERY species in existance
at the same level on a leaf. Every species has had the exact same
time in which to evolve.

It may BE true that primate females orgasmed before the more recent
splits (apes/homo, 5-7 million ? yrs ago)... But it does NOT follow
that because chimp females orgasm, we did in pre-homo sapiens' time.

Not to take one side or the other, however....  I like the idea of
recreational sex WAAAAYYY back in our (pre-)history   8-)

>John A. Burns (burns@das.harvard.edu, burns@huche1.bitnet)
>"Birds do it, bees do it, even educated fleas do it."

Really?!? Fleas fall in love? Well, I'll be!  8-)

Elissa Feit (feit@cs.buffalo.edu // {rutgers,uunet}!cs.buffalo.edu!feit)
      "I had to regain my confidence so I got into camoflauge.
       The girls they love to see you shoot."
      "I love a man in uniform."      -   Gang of Four

dino@cube.rci.dk (Hans Dinsen-Hansen) (01/24/91)

In <14868@milton.u.washington.edu> jespah@milton.u.washington.edu (Kathleen Hunt) writes:

>From: throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop)
>*     Has women's sexual responsiveness changed since prehistoric times?
>*Have our sexual practices?
>*     I think of cunnilingus and manual stimulation of one's partner as
>*civilized acts.  I find it hard to believe that stone age people
>*practiced them -- at least, I've heard no reports of these practices
>*among chimpanzees.
>*...
>
>Just a few notes:  female orgasm does occur in many other mammalian species.
>Also, you might be interested to know that the bonobo ("pygmy chimpanzee",
>_Pan paniscus_) does quite commonly do mutual masturbation, female-female
>clitoral stimulation (known as "genital-genital rubbing" or "G-G rubbing")
>and various other means of stimulating the clitoris.  I haven't read
>descriptions of cunnilingus in this species ...
>go out of their way to enjoy sex, though.
>Just some more things to consider.
>Kathleen
>jespah@milton.u.washington.edu

  Thanks for hearing a woman' opinion. May I, a male, add some more to
  this discussion.
>From: throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) I quote further:
>* ...   I don't know that anthropoligist have enquired
>*about these practices (cunnilingus) among primitive cultures.
>*     Has women's sexual responsiveness changed since prehistoric times?
>*Have our sexual practices?

  The anthropologist and explorer Knud Rasmussen, who spoke and wrote the
  Innuit (Eskimo) language, has collected many Innuit myths and sagas. Some
  can be found in his "collected works", others were - after his death -
  classified by his wife because of their immoral nature. However, in KR's
  "collected works" one can find a myth from North Canada. I do not have
  the reference by hand, but I quote from memory:
  - Some Great Hunter came to a settlement, where all or most adult males
  had been killed by some kind of beast. This Great Hunter killed the
  beast and thus saved the settlement. As a reward for his great deed the
  women of the settlement ordered him lie on his back, after which the
  women would stand in a line, and the Great Hunter was granted the favor
  of sniffing to their secret parts. (!)

  The way I understand the myth as re-told by KR, cunnilingus in
  "primitive cultures" is a favor granted by the woman to the man. In
  some, perhaps most, sub-cultures of modern civilization cunnilingus is
  regarded the other way around. The reason for that I could only guess
  about. It might be that most "primitive cultures" comprise cleanliness,
  whereas public baths and touching oneself down there has been fought by
  the churches for a long period in Western European civilization. Perhaps
  soap and various perfumes, as opposed to the primitive washing in plain
  water may also be guilty.
              /                                             | My opinion! |
             / Hans Dinsen-Hansen (The local Dino-saur)     |  Probably   |
            /  RCI, Hovedvejen 9, Glostrup, DK-2600 Denmark | not shared  |
           /          (+45) 4297 5366 X 292                 |by my company|

margoli@IBM.com (Larry Margolis) (01/25/91)

In  <55783@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>  feit@acsu.buffalo.edu (Elissa Feit) writes:
> Not to take one side or the other, however....  I like the idea of
> recreational sex WAAAAYYY back in our (pre-)history   8-)

Yeah - Jean Auel's "Earth's Children" series!  Great stuff!

debbiek@rruxc.uucp (25670-D. Kennedy(i555)t669) (01/29/91)

>     Has women's sexual responsiveness changed since prehistoric times?
> Have our sexual practices?
>      Most women do not come to orgasm from intercourse alone. For most
> women, intercourse must either be preceeded by or augmented by other
> clitoral stimulation.  Has it always been this way?

> prehistoric women mostly didn't have orgasm when mating, why did the
> capacity for female orgasm evolve?
>
> David Throop

David,
IMO, I would suspect that a Yes would answer all questions except
the last.  I would say that (prehistoric) females always had
the capacity for orgasm but the male didn't know this and
she probably didn't know it either and if she did
(you hear all the time that our mothers or grandmother
didn't know they could enjoy it?) prehistoric
people lacked speech beyond grunts and stuff.  But whether
she could do anything about it is the real argument because
wouldn't he just drag her behind the rocks by her "hair" (:))?

Deb
P.S. Ever see "Quest for Fire"?

eang42@castle.ed.ac.uk (L Bootland) (01/29/91)

I believe that mutual masturbation in primates is important for social
bonding. I also remember seeing a theory that one reason women do not
have oestrus cycles is that increased sexual availability, plus
increased difficulty of predicting fertile times (and hence times when
leaving your mate is a bad idea in case somemale else impregnates her),
are important in strengthening the pair bond.  This increases the chance
that the male will stay around to help rear the young, which is
important in humans.  I wonder if the foreplay/ mutual masturbation in
humans also contributes to this bonding?

L.Bootland

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (02/01/91)

In article <5420@husc6.harvard.edu>, burns@sparkle.uucp (John Burns) writes:
> In _The Straight Dope_, Cecil Adams reports that female stump-tailed
> macaques have been observed to climax from oral sex with each other (pp.
> 64-65).  In the second volume, _More of the Straight Dope_, he adds reports
> of female chimpanzees masturbating with twigs and mangos, and of a male
> gorilla performing oral sex on his mate.  Whatever the origins of female
> orgasm, its recreational use predates humanity.
>
> John A. Burns (burns@das.harvard.edu, burns@huche1.bitnet)
> "Birds do it, bees do it, even educated fleas do it."

Actually, in many species, the male licks or nuzzles the female's genitals
to prepare her for mating.  Dogs, cattle, goats, sheep, cats, etc.

HCM100@psuvm.psu.edu (Hans C. Masing) (02/14/91)

In article <1178@ai.cs.utexas.edu>, throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) says:

>     Has women's sexual responsiveness changed since prehistoric times?
>Have our sexual practices?
   [ Stuff Deleted ]

>    But it seems really odd to think that women would have evolved a
>physiological capacity for orgasm, but have evolved it in such a way
>that it couldn't be triggered (except rarely) by practices that didn't
>arise until the advent of civilization.
   [ More stuff deleted ]

>     Could most prehistoric women come to orgasm from penetration alone?
>If so, why can so few modern women?  If not, did prehistoric people
>augment penetration in a manner similar to our modern practices?  And if
>prehistoric women mostly didn't have orgasm when mating, why did the
>capacity for female orgasm evolve?
>
>David Throop

Studies have shown (and video tapes have been made) of female chimpanzees
achieving orgasm through masturbatory techniques.  It seems that if we did
evolve from the apes, that the ability to orgasm for women evelved along
with them.   Personally, I think that it's a scam so that they get 'extras'
in bed!!!  :-)  (Really, that was a joke meant in all caring and that)

Hans 'I'm gonna either get flamed or get alot of dates for that' Masing

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (02/14/91)

>>     Has women's sexual responsiveness changed since prehistoric times?
>>Have our sexual practices?
>   [ Stuff Deleted ]
>
>>    But it seems really odd to think that women would have evolved a
>>physiological capacity for orgasm, but have evolved it in such a way
>>that it couldn't be triggered (except rarely) by practices that didn't
>>arise until the advent of civilization.
>   [ More stuff deleted ]
>
>>     Could most prehistoric women come to orgasm from penetration alone?
>>If so, why can so few modern women?  If not, did prehistoric people
>>augment penetration in a manner similar to our modern practices?  And if
>>prehistoric women mostly didn't have orgasm when mating, why did the
>>capacity for female orgasm evolve?

     I beg your pardon, but why would you think that the advent
     of civilization is a pre-requisite for techniques, male or
     female applied, which can stimulate orgasm?   I rather
     doubt that the prehistoric females were any more tolerant
     of "me Tarzan, you Jane" male techniques than modern ones
     are.

throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) (02/15/91)

Hans C. Masing writes (in sci.bio)
>Studies have shown (and video tapes have been made) of female chimpanzees
>achieving orgasm through masturbatory techniques.

If these pictures are out there, why haven't they been posted to
alt.sex.pictures? ;-)

David Throop

u1365281@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (02/21/91)

I came in late on this, so I don't exactly know where it came from:

>>>    But it seems really odd to think that women would have evolved a
>>>physiological capacity for orgasm, but have evolved it in such a way
>>>that it couldn't be triggered (except rarely) by practices that didn't
>>>arise until the advent of civilization.
>>   [ More stuff deleted ]
>>
>>>     Could most prehistoric women come to orgasm from penetration alone?
>>>If so, why can so few modern women?  If not, did prehistoric people
>>>augment penetration in a manner similar to our modern practices?  And if
>>>prehistoric women mostly didn't have orgasm when mating, why did the
>>>capacity for female orgasm evolve?
>>>
>      I beg your pardon, but why would you think that the advent
>      of civilization is a pre-requisite for techniques, male or
>      female applied, which can stimulate orgasm?   I rather
>      doubt that the prehistoric females were any more tolerant
>      of "me Tarzan, you Jane" male techniques than modern ones
>      are.

It is certainly possible that the female orgasm is not an adaptation at
all, but a pleiotropy connected genetically to the male orgasm. A friend
of mine, Elizabeth Lloyd, at the philosophy department at Berkeley is
writing a book that argues this. She finds problems with all of the
current adaptive explanations. I beleive this is her current position.

teexmmo@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Matthew Moore) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb21.194210.1665@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> u1365281@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au writes:
>I came in late on this, so I don't exactly know where it came from:

>>>   [ More stuff deleted ]

>>      I beg your pardon, but why would you think that the advent
>>      of civilization is a pre-requisite for techniques, male or
>>      female applied, which can stimulate orgasm?   I rather
>>      doubt that the prehistoric females were any more tolerant
>>      of "me Tarzan, you Jane" male techniques than modern ones
>>      are.

I too am joining this discussion late, so apologies for any ground
retrodden...

Elaine Morgan considers the question of the female orgasm in 'Descent
of Woman' and in her later works on evolution.

She takes the view that easy 'natural' orgasm was lost when face to
face mating postures were adopted in preference to rear entry type
postions, because the parts stimulated during rear entry mating are
not stimulated during face to face mating.
Then why not revert to rear entry mating then? Well unfortunately the
slope of the vagina has changed, and as a result, the pubic bone now
prevents effective stimulation of the appropriate area (the ventral
wall of the vagina).

Even if you dont agree with Morgan (the views presented here form part
of hte 'aquatic theory'), she writes well, and addresses the important
question 'why is sex so difficult' early on.