[sci.bio] Neuroscience newsgroup anywhere?

rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Richard Sucgang) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.204551.25188@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> vamg6792@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Vincent A Mazzarella) writes:

>Does anyone know of a Neuroscience newsgroup? Anyone willing to moderate one?
>It is the decade of the brain, after all...

Well, i don't think there is one, but if there is a proposal,
there's one vote coming from here!

-rich

mll@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Mark Luce) (02/28/91)

     It's not exactly a neuroscience group but you may find much
interesting reading in the notesfile for "sci.nanotechnology".

anderson@helix.cshl.org (John Anderson in Hershey) (03/01/91)

rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Richard Sucgang) writes:

>In article <1991Feb26.204551.25188@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> vamg6792@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Vincent A Mazzarella) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know of a Neuroscience newsgroup? Anyone willing to moderate one?
>>It is the decade of the brain, after all...

>Well, i don't think there is one, but if there is a proposal,
>there's one vote coming from here!

>-rich

...and another vote from here.

john anderson

jahayes@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (03/01/91)

>>Does anyone know of a Neuroscience newsgroup? Anyone willing to moderate one?
>>It is the decade of the brain, after all...

Two suggestions (or maybe more if I really get rolling...)

1) Check out the bionet.groups. I do not believe that there currently
exists a bionet.neuro or something akin, but it would be an ideal
location to set it up. The discussions on these groups are rather
like solar activity: nothing for some time, then a large eruption
of traffic. There are some very eminent folks out there who read
bionet.stuff but ignore sci.bio as too damn noisy and not signal-y enough.

2) There are groups devoted to neural nets and assorted ai (artificial
intelligence) issues. They are in the comp. hierarchy.

If you don't have access to bionet groups, I know the fellas in
charge and could pass you along to them, but I'm leery of posting
their addresses here. Drop me e-mail if you need it, and if the
traffic gets absurd, I'll post 'em.

Cheers,

Josh Hayes, Zoology, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056
jahayes@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu, or jahayes@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu

dsm89@pelham.med.unc.edu (Daniel McGehee) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Feb27.060227.8360@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Richard Sucgang) writes:
>In article <1991Feb26.204551.25188@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> vamg6792@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Vincent A Mazzarella) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know of a Neuroscience newsgroup? Anyone willing to moderate one?
>>It is the decade of the brain, after all...
>
>Well, i don't think there is one, but if there is a proposal,
>there's one vote coming from here!
>
>-rich

Add me to the list if you're starting one, I would very much like to see a
group of this sort.  And I would request from the start that we kill all
artcles pertaining to human monogamy and the nature of same. :-)

I enjoy sci.bio but some of these threads manage to weave themselves into
cumbersome tapestries.

Dan McGehee
dsm89@med.unc.edu

 "I don't want co-author credt on this, OK?" ----Hobbes---

rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Richard Sucgang) (03/03/91)

In article <4036.27ccf86f@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> jahayes@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>>>Does anyone know of a Neuroscience newsgroup? Anyone willing to moderate one?
>>>It is the decade of the brain, after all...
>
>Two suggestions (or maybe more if I really get rolling...)
>
>1) Check out the bionet.groups. I do not believe that there currently
>exists a bionet.neuro or something akin, but it would be an ideal
>location to set it up. The discussions on these groups are rather
>like solar activity: nothing for some time, then a large eruption
>of traffic. There are some very eminent folks out there who read
>bionet.stuff but ignore sci.bio as too damn noisy and not signal-y enough.
>
>2) There are groups devoted to neural nets and assorted ai (artificial
>intelligence) issues. They are in the comp. hierarchy.
>
>If you don't have access to bionet groups, I know the fellas in
>charge and could pass you along to them, but I'm leery of posting
>their addresses here. Drop me e-mail if you need it, and if the
>traffic gets absurd, I'll post 'em.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Josh Hayes, Zoology, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056
>jahayes@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu, or jahayes@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu

olds@helix.nih.gov (James Olds) (03/04/91)

* James L. Olds Ph.D.     Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology*
* domain:olds@helix.nih.gov           NINDS, NIH, Bethesda, MD. 20892 USA  *

ian@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Ian Musgrave) (03/06/91)

As another interested neuroscientist, I would also support the formation
of a Neuroscience newsgroup. How do you go about this, i.e. where should
a call for votes go.

Ian Musgrave

lfk@eastman1.mit.edu (Lee F. Kolakowski) (03/06/91)

On 6 Mar 91 09:41:55 GMT,
ian@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Ian Musgrave) said:

> As another interested neuroscientist, I would also support the formation
> of a Neuroscience newsgroup. How do you go about this, i.e. where should
> a call for votes go.

To answer this question, here is the notice from
Dave (The Bionet.* megamoderator):
> From kristoff@GENBANK.BIO.NET Wed Mar  6 08:37:09 1991
> From: kristoff@GENBANK.BIO.NET (Dave Kristofferson)
> Newsgroups: bionet.general
> Subject: Call for Votes - proposed NEUROSCI group
> Date: 5 Mar 91 22:47:50 GMT
>
> We have another proposal for a new group along with a person who has
> volunteered as discussion leader, so I am putting out the call for
> votes once again.  This newsgroup would be for the Neurosciences and
> would involve the following:
>
>       It is herein proposed that a newsgroup be created for the
>    exchange of scientific ideas under the multi-disciplinary rubric of
>    neuroscience.  The group, while welcoming and encouraging the
>    participation of computer scientists, will not focus on artificial
>    intelligence or neural nets, as there are newsgroups already on the
>    Usenet dedicated to these topics.  Rather, scientists such as
>    physiologists, computational neuroscientists, molecular biologists,
>    and behavioral scientists would be encouraged to interact through this
>    medium to discuss the function, evolution, and structure of biologic
>    nervous systems.  It would also be a place for researchers to sound
>    out novel theories and to facilitate collaborations.  Discussions of
>    abstracts would be appropriate.  It is recognized that neuroscientists
>    tend to be computer literate to an extent that would suggest a
>    justifiable volume for newsgroup creation.
>

> If you are in favor of the creation of such a newsgroup, please send a
> one line message saying
>
> YES ON NEUROSCI
>
> to one of the following addresses before 4 May 1991.  If at least 40
>
> PLEASE RESPOND TO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING ADDRESSES AND NOT TO THIS MESSAGE!!
>
> Address					Location	Network
> -------					--------	-------
> biovote@irlearn.ucd.ie			Ireland		EARN/BITNET
> biovote@uk.ac.daresbury			U.K.		JANET
> biovote@bmc.uu.se			Sweden		Internet
> biovote@genbank.bio.net			U.S.A. 		Internet/BITNET
>

> 				Sincerely,
>
> 				Dave Kristofferson
> 				GenBank Manager
>
> 				kristoff@genbank.bio.net
>

> P.S. - For those of you wondering about the status of the other
> recently approved newsgroups, I will touch on that in my next message.

Hope this helps

--

Frank Kolakowski

|lfk@athena.mit.edu or lfk@eastman1.mit.edu or kolakowski@wccf.mit.edu|
| Lee F. Kolakowski                 M.I.T.                            |
| Dept of Chemistry                 Room 18-506                       |
| 77 Massachusetts Ave.             Cambridge, MA 02139               |
| AT&T:  1-617-253-1866             #include <disclaimer.h>           |
||Desert Storm - Lasers have made this the cleanest *dirty war* ever.||

eopa27@castle.ed.ac.uk (Dr D R T Keeble) (03/07/91)

In article <427@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> ian@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Ian Musgrave) writes:
>As another interested neuroscientist, I would also support the formation
>of a Neuroscience newsgroup. How do you go about this, i.e. where should

And here's yet another vote for a neuroscience group. I just started
reading sci.bio *explicitly* to see if there was any such discussion.

David Keeble

Vision-Lab
Department of Pharmacology
University of Edinburgh