[sci.bio] resistivity of eggs of sea-urchins, or other marine animals

jdubb@bucsf.bu.edu (jay dubb) (03/24/91)

   I am posting this for a friend of mine who doesn't have access
to USENET, so please respond directly to mlevin@jade.tufts.edu.

   Does anyone have any idea how I could find out (look it up in some
manual, or measure it myself) the resistivity of a sea-urchin (or any
other marine animal) egg? I would settle for an estimate, or a
ball-park figure of the resistivity of any sea-water egg or embryo.
Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone seen any related figures at all?

		Mike Levin (mlevin@jade.tufts.edu)

barkdoll@cattell.psych.upenn.edu (Edwin Barkdoll) (03/24/91)

In article <77624@bu.edu.bu.edu> jdubb@bucsf.bu.edu (jay dubb) writes:

>   Does anyone have any idea how I could find out (look it up in some
>manual, or measure it myself) the resistivity of a sea-urchin (or any
>other marine animal) egg? I would settle for an estimate, or a

	Resistivity of the plasma membrane, the cytoplasm, what?  I
think that Kenneth S. Cole in his book _Membranes Ions and Impulses_
discusses various electrical properties of more than one species of
sea urchin's egg.  The book should be at your local med school library.
Edwin Barkdoll                   | "You are in a maze of twisty
barkdoll@cattell.psych.upenn.edu |  little passages, all alike..."