[sci.bio] DST Harmful?

brown@cs.rochester.edu (Chris Brown) (04/08/91)

Jetlag and shift work -induced disorientation are noticeable factors in human performance.
I'm wondering if any work has been done on the effects of the twice-yearly switch
between standard and daylight-savings times on wildlife.  Do the lost
and gained hours disturb their alertness or reproductive cycle?
The spring switch could be especially bad for birds.
Since animals are often more sensitive than we know to even subtle environmental
changes, I'm wondering if our messing with their circadian rhythms in this way
has had any documented effects.

Another example of modern man's insensitivity to
Nature? If this topic has received no research, isn't it about time? Of course
I realize it's political dynamite.

Chris Brown
.

vangeldr@cmgm.Stanford.EDU (Russ Van Gelder) (04/09/91)

	The human circadian clock free-runs (that is, adopts a period
in the absence of time-cues) of about 25 hours - so most people adapt
easily to the "fall back", but have a really hard time with "spring
forward".  This is the same reason most people find it easier to fly
west than east.

	A great suggestion that I heard a few years ago is to make the
spring (forward) change "fun Friday".  Instead of causing increased
sleep-loss by moving the clocks forward on Sunday morning, why not
move them forward at 4:00 Friday afternoon?  I think most sleep
researchers would agree that this is a better time to shift the clock
than the middle of the sleep period.  Politically I think it would be
popular with the working folk, too...

	Russ

wgpsy471@nmt.edu (Bill Grother) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr7.180823.1462@cs.rochester.edu> brown@cs.rochester.edu writes:
>Jetlag and shift work -induced disorientation are noticeable factors in human
>performance. I'm wondering if any work has been done on the effects of the
>twice-yearly switch between standard and daylight-savings times on wildlife.
>Do the lost and gained hours disturb their alertness or reproductive cycle?
>The spring switch could be especially bad for birds. Since animals are often
>more sensitive than we know to even subtle environmental changes, I'm
>wondering if our messing with their circadian rhythms in this way
>has had any documented effects.

	I'm not sure that the DST switch is going to affect wildlife...animals
in the wild don't keep track of time [unless the deer are wearing digital
watches nowadays] except through the natural day-night cycle and that develops
over the lifetime of the animal and is very resistant to small changes. As for
lab animals, I imagine that if they are used to having something happen at a
particular time each day (feeding, weighing, injections, etc.), a conscientious
experimenter will alter the schedule to keep the event at the same time
relative to the animals [good experimental technique].

	The bottom line is that very few animals are going to become directly
affected by us humans changing the clock back and forth by an hour [except
for animals such as cows, chickens, pigs, etc., which are found in farms where
chores are scheduled to begin at the same time each day]. As a matter of fact,
it was the farm lobby which had a big hand in getting daylight savings time
so that during the summer, there would be more daylight in the afternoon to
allow crops to be harvested, as most normal farm chores are performed in the
morning.

	Bill Grother

minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr7.180823.1462@cs.rochester.edu>
brown@cs.rochester.edu writes:

>Jetlag and shift work -induced disorientation are noticeable factors
>in human performance. I'm wondering if any work has been done on the
>effects of the twice-yearly switch between standard and
>daylight-savings times on wildlife.

Very funny.  Another question is whether it is OK for us neo-humans to
inhabit the temperate zones.  If our ancestors migrated from the
tropics a mere few dozen millenia ago, perhaps the changes in season
length is bad for us.  It's not as though summer and winter are
"natural", after all.

cl@lgc.com (Cameron Laird) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr7.180823.1462@cs.rochester.edu> brown@cs.rochester.edu writes:
>Jetlag and shift work -induced disorientation are noticeable factors in human performance.
>I'm wondering if any work has been done on the effects of the twice-yearly switch
>between standard and daylight-savings times on wildlife.  Do the lost
>and gained hours disturb their alertness or reproductive cycle?
>The spring switch could be especially bad for birds.
>Since animals are often more sensitive than we know to even subtle environmental
>changes, I'm wondering if our messing with their circadian rhythms in this way
>has had any documented effects.
>
>Another example of modern man's insensitivity to
>Nature? If this topic has received no research, isn't it about time? Of course
>I realize it's political dynamite.
>
>Chris Brown
>.

France and Japan have both investigated the effects of the
switch on schoolchildren.  The result was that it's no big
deal:  students are restless and a bit disturbed the first
couple of days after the shift, but nothing is left to de-
tect within a week.

I agree that there's a lot going on to which we're insensi-
tive, but my own conclusion is that there are more
important--demonstrably important--issues to pursue.
--

Cameron Laird				USA 713-579-4613
cl@lgc.com (cl%lgc.com@uunet.uu.net)	USA 713-996-8546

w.p.coyne@uk.ac.newcastle (04/10/91)

minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) writes:
>  Another question is whether it is OK for us neo-humans to
>inhabit the temperate zones.  If our ancestors migrated from the
>tropics a mere few dozen millenia ago, perhaps the changes in season
>length is bad for us.  It's not as though summer and winter are
>"natural", after all.

Well the time was long enough for them to evolve light skin. (What advantage
does a lighter skin give over a darker skin?  heat retention?)
And talking of skin colour do the esquemoes (sp?) have skin as light as north
europeans?

Department of Process and Chemical Engineering,  +
Newcastle University, United Kingdom.            + "If we breed like rabbits,
                                                 +  in the long run we have
JANET: W.P.Coyne@uk.ac.newcastle                 +  we have to die like
UUCP : ...!ukc!newcastle.ac.uk!W.P.Coyne         +  rabbits" Carlson on
ARPA : W.P.Coyne@newcastle.ac.uk                 +  population growth.
................ ................................+.......................

cse223@uk.ac.cov.cck (David Sandiford) (04/11/91)

[stuff deleted]

>Well the time was long enough for them to evolve light skin. (What advantage
>does a lighter skin give over a darker skin?  heat retention?)
>And talking of skin colour do the esquemoes (sp?) have skin as light as north
>europeans?

I heard about an experiment which seemed to show that lighter skin is better
at synthesising vitamin D from sunlight.

dag@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (David Geiser) (04/16/91)

In :sci.bio, brown@cs.rochester.edu writes:
          .
	  .
b>Another example of modern man's insensitivity to
b>Nature? If this topic has received no research, isn't it about time? Of course
b>I realize it's political dynamite.

I hate DST.  The extra hour of daylight burns my lawn.

dag
"in semi-arid Colorado Springs"

grayt@Software.Mitel.COM (Tom Gray) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr8.180949.19534@medisg.Stanford.EDU> vangeldr@cmgm.Stanford.EDU (Russ Van Gelder) writes:

>	A great suggestion that I heard a few years ago is to make the
>spring (forward) change "fun Friday".  Instead of causing increased
>sleep-loss by moving the clocks forward on Sunday morning, why not
>move them forward at 4:00 Friday afternoon?  I think most sleep
>researchers would agree that this is a better time to shift the clock
>than the middle of the sleep period.  Politically I think it would be
>popular with the working folk, too...

This effect actually happens with shift workers. It may be fun in the
spring but working an hour extra in the fall is not.

Shift workers have regular shifts in their sleep schedules of
about 8 hours. If DST is going to affect productivity, then why
wouldn't this show up for shift workers. It always amuses me to
hear executives complain of the effects of jet lag. Their shift
workers are exepcted to perform normally with 8 hour changes in
their schedules every week.