[sci.bio] Neotenous vertebrates

XRHAH@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Herbert A. Huston) (04/17/91)

Are there any other neotenous vertebrates besides axolotls, domestic dogs,
and humans?

-- Herb Huston
-- NASA Center for Computational Sciences
-- Goddard Space Flight Center
-- Internet: XRHAH@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV
-- Ameche:   (301) 286-7803
-- Snail:    Code 931, NASA/GSFC, Greenbelt, MD  20771, USA

karl@quercus.gsfc.nasa.gov (Karl Anderson) (04/17/91)

In article <4941@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, XRHAH@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV
(Herbert A. Huston) writes:
|> Are there any other neotenous vertebrates besides axolotls, domestic
|> dogs, and humans?

Several other species of salamanders (e.g. _Amphiuma_ spp.) are
often presented in the literature as examples of neoteny.  The
so-called pygmy chimpanzee, or bonobo (_Pan paniscus_) is considered
neotenous relative to the common chimp (_Pan troglodytes_).  Steve
Gould (1977) believes that neoteny is very common, arguing for example
that chordates (from which vertebrates presumably arose) had their
origin in the tadpole-like larvae of tunicates.

Gould, S.J. 1977. _Ontogeny and Phylogeny_.  Harvard Univ. Press,
Cambridge, MA.
--
Karl A. Anderson		| Internet: karl@forest.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC code 923 (STX)	| voice: (301) 286-3815

lecl@quads.uchicago.edu (elizabeth e. leclair) (04/18/91)

In article <4941@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> XRHAH@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Herbert A. Huston) writes:
>Are there any other neotenous vertebrates besides axolotls, domestic dogs,
>and humans?

   1)  Are there *any* neotenous vertebrates?  How is this demonstrated?
   2)  Is neoteny a process, the resulting effect, or both?
   3)  Devil's Advocate Question:  Is there anythign which is *not*
       neotenous in SOME way relative to an ancestor (i.e. retains the
       juvenile characteristic int eh sexually mature adult.)

--
"The love of the body of man or woman balks account,
   the body itself balks account,
 that of the male is perfect, and that of the female is perfect." -W. Whitman

zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross Alford) (04/18/91)

In <1991Apr17.232559.7845@midway.uchicago.edu> lecl@quads.uchicago.edu (elizabeth e. leclair) writes:

>In article <4941@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> XRHAH@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Herbert A. Huston) writes:
>>Are there any other neotenous vertebrates besides axolotls, domestic dogs,
>>and humans?
>>

>   1)  Are there *any* neotenous vertebrates?  How is this demonstrated?
>   2)  Is neoteny a process, the resulting effect, or both?
>   3)  Devil's Advocate Question:  Is there anythign which is *not*
>       neotenous in SOME way relative to an ancestor (i.e. retains the
>       juvenile characteristic int eh sexually mature adult.)

I already replied to the original poster via mail, but couldn't resist:

Re (1):
It was demonstrated via controlled lab & field experiments, and exists
for certain in several species of salamanders.  See for example

Harris, R. N.  1987.  Density-dependent paedomorphosis in the salamander
    _Notophthalmus_ _viridescens_ _dorsalis_.  Ecology 68:705-712.

Harris, R. N.  1989.  Ontogenetic changes in size and shape of the
     facultatively paedomorphic salamander _Notophthalmus_ _viridescens_
    _dorsalis_.  Copeia 1989:35-42.

Semlitsch, R. D. and H. M. Wilbur.  1989.  Artificial selection for
     pedomorphosis in the salamander _Ambystoma_ _talpoideum_.
     Evolution 43:105-112.

Re (2):
There is plenty of room for argument over the semantics, for instance
neoteny versus paedogenesis.  Many people prefer to avoid this argument
and substitute the generic term paedomorphosis, the process of acquiring
reproductive maturity while retaining some juvenile characters, and call
the resulting animals paedomorphs.  Even then, as you can see from the
references, there is room for argument over the spelling.

Re (3):
Another fertile field for endless round-and-round arguments.  I wouldn't
touch it with a bargepole.

Ross
--
Ross A. Alford