[sci.bio] Human Population Growth/Decline

szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) (03/19/91)

Human population reached a cusp in the S-curve between 1965-1970 (about
the time reasonable birth control became available in developed and,
later to a growing extent, underdeveloped countries), and is predicted
to reach an equilibrium of 10 billion sometime around 2050.  However,
these projections assume the equilibrium growth rate is zero, without
explanation.  As I have shown, the actual equilibrium growth rate is
closer to -50% per generation.  At this rate, assuming a generation time
of 30 years and that lifespan increase reaches some limit,  population
will reach 2.5 billion in 2110, 150 million in 2230, 16 million
in 2320, 1.7 million by 2410, 200,000 by 2500, etc.   Most human cultures
will die out over this period.  This assumes no cataclysm, such as nuclear
or biological war.

Side note: many people have posted about the "overpopulation problem".
The ratio of food:human population on the planet is higher now (by a
factor of nearly 2) than at any time in human history, and keeps growing
each year.  What is meant by "overpopulation"?  It surely can't mean we
are racing ahead of the food supply.

In article <7860@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> hrubin@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:
[I write]

>For one thing, we recently have acquired such technology, and are in the
>process of acquiring more.

Examples, please?

>For another, we can adopt taxation policies to
>accomplish this; presumably a pioneering space colony would do so.

There is no evidence taxation can help.  France, for one, tried this
without significant impact on the birthrate.  With reliable birth control,
birthrate is primarily a function of personal choice/psychology -- primarily
women's choice -- and not so much a function of politics or economics.

>> > The whole history of the human race is about expansion.  Why stop now?
>
>Not only is this the history, this is essential humanity.

I haven't seen any evidence that humans have an innate desire to procreate
(as opposed to having sex and nurturing already existing offspring).  Again,
I am not questioning the "should" of off-planet expansion: I am quite in
favor of it. I am questioning the assumption of its inevitability, when
evidence to date indicates that it cannot occur.

--
Nick Szabo			szabo@sequent.com
"If you want oil, drill lots of wells" -- J. Paul Getty

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (03/21/91)

In article <21376@crg5.UUCP>, szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:
> Human population reached a cusp in the S-curve between 1965-1970 (about
> the time reasonable birth control became available in developed and,
> later to a growing extent, underdeveloped countries), and is predicted
> to reach an equilibrium of 10 billion sometime around 2050.  However,
> these projections assume the equilibrium growth rate is zero, without
> explanation.  As I have shown, the actual equilibrium growth rate is
> closer to -50% per generation.  At this rate, assuming a generation time
> of 30 years and that lifespan increase reaches some limit,  population
> will reach 2.5 billion in 2110, 150 million in 2230, 16 million
> in 2320, 1.7 million by 2410, 200,000 by 2500, etc.   Most human cultures
> will die out over this period.  This assumes no cataclysm, such as nuclear
> or biological war.

What about all the third world countries where birth control is heavily
fought by the religious sector which have their own agenda?  Or the latin
American countries where it is 'macho' to father many children.

> Side note: many people have posted about the "overpopulation problem".
> The ratio of food:human population on the planet is higher now (by a
> factor of nearly 2) than at any time in human history, and keeps growing
> each year.  What is meant by "overpopulation"?  It surely can't mean we
> are racing ahead of the food supply.

Food is not the problem, pollution and destruction of the environment is the
problem.  I forget the exact numbers but the Amazon rain forest (the lungs
of the world) is disappearing at an increasing and alarming rate due to the
pressure of people expanding into the forest.

> In article <7860@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> hrubin@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:
> [I write]
>>
>>For one thing, we recently have acquired such technology, and are in the
>>process of acquiring more.
>
> Examples, please?
>

>>For another, we can adopt taxation policies to
>>accomplish this; presumably a pioneering space colony would do so.
>
> There is no evidence taxation can help.  France, for one, tried this
> without significant impact on the birthrate.  With reliable birth control,
> birthrate is primarily a function of personal choice/psychology -- primarily
> women's choice -- and not so much a function of politics or economics.

>>Not only is this the history, this is essential humanity.
>
> I haven't seen any evidence that humans have an innate desire to procreate
> (as opposed to having sex and nurturing already existing offspring).  Again,
> I am not questioning the "should" of off-planet expansion: I am quite in
> favor of it. I am questioning the assumption of its inevitability, when
> evidence to date indicates that it cannot occur.

Birth control SHOULD be available to all people.  Right now it isn't.  Maybe in
the future but the Roman Catholic Church will need to make a total turnaround
on their stance.

jhuyghe@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Julien Hyughe) (03/21/91)

The Amazon Rain Forest is important, but it isn't the lungs of the world.
The animals and decaying vegetable matter consume as much oxygen as is
produced by the plants.

All that is needed to stop the destruction (which is only 50% as widespread
as was thought) is to give the slash-and-burn farmers incentives to manage
the land intelligently. The rain forest can be very profitable without having
to destroy it. What they're going now is burning the goose that lays the
golden eggs.

--
Julien David Huyghe, Pomona College '93       [ C'etait il y a mille ans
Internet: pomona|spears|jarthur@claremont.edu [ C'est maintenant

szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar20.125112.2920@desire.wright.edu> sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:
>In article <21376@crg5.UUCP>, szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:
>> ....the actual equilibrium growth rate is
>> closer to -50% per generation.  At this rate, assuming a generation time
>> of 30 years and that lifespan increase reaches some limit,  population
>> will reach 2.5 billion in 2110, 150 million in 2230, 16 million
>> in 2320,....  Most human cultures will die out over this period.
>> This assumes no cataclysm, such as nuclear or biological war.
>>

>What about all the third world countries where birth control is heavily
>fought by the religious sector which have their own agenda?  Or the latin
>American countries where it is 'macho' to father many children.

In nearly all countries, the birth rate has been declining over the last
10 or more years, as birth control is becoming more widely available.
Religions seems to be only temporarily delaying this process in some areas.
As birth control becomes more convenient and effective, the religious
forces will lose out to women's choice, as they have in all developed
countries, including the Catholic countries of Italy and Spain which
already have birthrates below replacement levels.

--
Nick Szabo			szabo@sequent.com
"If you want oil, drill lots of wells" -- J. Paul Getty
The above opinions are my own and not related to those of any
organization I may be affiliated with.

anlyyao@cdp.UUCP (03/28/91)

Interesting to find extrapolations until the year 2320 in this
topic.

Goetz Kluge, Seoul, Korea

hrubin@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (03/28/91)

In article <1101300004@cdp>, anlyyao@cdp.UUCP writes:

> Interesting to find extrapolations until the year 2320 in this
> topic.
>
> Goetz Kluge, Seoul, Korea

Similar extrapolations, widely published and "accepted", made in the
1930s gave a peak US population of well under 200,000,000.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet)   {purdue,pur-ee}!l.cc!hrubin(UUCP)

ajpierce@med.unc.edu (Andrew Pierce) (03/29/91)

In article <21418@crg5.UUCP> szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:
>forces will lose out to women's choice, as they have in all developed
>countries, including the Catholic countries of Italy and Spain which
>already have birthrates below replacement levels.

What about the countries which are prodominantly islam?  In terms of world
religions, Christianity comes in a solid second to Islam so this is not a
trivial consideration.  I don't know of any islamic countries off hand
that I would really call "developed" with the possible exception of Turkey
so the conclusion drawn above may be premature.  Does anyone know what the
standard policy concerning birth control under islamic religious law is?
     -Andy
ajpierce@med.unc.edu  or  APIERCE@UNC.BITNET

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (03/30/91)

In article <3146@beguine.UUCP>, ajpierce@med.unc.edu (Andrew Pierce) writes:
> In article <21418@crg5.UUCP> szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:
>>forces will lose out to women's choice, as they have in all developed
>>countries, including the Catholic countries of Italy and Spain which
>>already have birthrates below replacement levels.
>
> What about the countries which are prodominantly islam?  In terms of world
> religions, Christianity comes in a solid second to Islam so this is not a
> trivial consideration.  I don't know of any islamic countries off hand
> that I would really call "developed" with the possible exception of Turkey
> so the conclusion drawn above may be premature.  Does anyone know what the
> standard policy concerning birth control under islamic religious law is?
>      -Andy
> ajpierce@med.unc.edu  or  APIERCE@UNC.BITNET

According to the World Population Data Sheet, the world pop. is doubling itself
in forty years.  That's an overall estimate, some regions are more, some are
less.

szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Mar29.112327.3031@desire.wright.edu> sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:

>According to the World Population Data Sheet, the world pop. is doubling itself
>in forty years.  That's an overall estimate, some regions are more, some are
>less.

This is incredibly simplistic, since the _rate_ of population growth
has been cut nearly in half in just the last 20 years, and continues
to fall at a rate that is itself accelerating.  The people who
have the most $$$ to lose/gain (and $$$ to spend studying) world
population growth, the World Bank, show world population "leveling off"
at less than 10 billion people.  In other words, _today's_ rate of food
supply is more than enough to feed future populations, even with no
technology advance.  Of course, tech advance is not slowing; the
green revolution continues, and genetic engineering for massive productivity
gains is just around the corner.   The hoped-for day of ending world
starvation may soon arrive, if it hasn't already.  For a 100% end to
starvation, however, local distribution, not global food supply, is the
limiting factor.

The World Bank's time-line is limited by their loan horizon, of course:
they have not yet started projecting what happens after the "leveling off".

I will certainly agree that overpopulation has been a problem, and
continues to be so in some pockets of the world.  However, increasingly
underpopulation is becoming a problem -- in Japan, where there is a
severe shortage of young workers, in Hungary, where population is rapidly
decreasing (by over 1%/year), in Amazonian tribes that are being given birth
control and driven off their lands at the same time, and increasingly
across most of the developed world, where retirement funds are coming
under severe pressure as a first symptom.  We should not let overpopulation
problems, severe as they have been and still are, keep us from seeing the
problems of underpopulation that are starting to occur.  We pretty much
know how to lick overpopulation; underpopulation is a difficult problem with
which we have not yet come to grips.

--

karl@quercus.gsfc.nasa.gov (Karl Anderson) (04/04/91)

In article <21472@crg5.UUCP>, szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:
|> In article <1991Mar29.112327.3031@desire.wright.edu>
|> sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:
|>
|> >According to the World Population Data Sheet, the world pop. is
|> >doubling itself in forty years.  That's an overall estimate,
|> >some regions are more, some are less.
|>
|> This is incredibly simplistic, since the _rate_ of population
|> growth has been cut nearly in half in just the last 20 years, and
|> continues to fall at a rate that is itself accelerating.  The people
|> who have the most $$$ to lose/gain (and $$$ to spend studying) world
|> population growth, the World Bank, show world population "leveling
|> off" at less than 10 billion people.

So whom should we believe, the World Population Data Sheet or the World
Bank?  Are they related?  Who publishes the WPDS?  Does *anybody* have
credible data on current world population growth rates?  Inquiring minds
want to know 8^).
--
Karl A. Anderson		| Internet: karl@forest.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC code 923 (STX)	| voice: (301) 286-3815

vamg6792@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Vincent A Mazzarella) (04/04/91)

szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:

>This is incredibly simplistic, since the _rate_ of population growth
>has been cut nearly in half in just the last 20 years, and continues
>to fall at a rate that is itself accelerating.  The people who
>have the most $$$ to lose/gain (and $$$ to spend studying) world
>population growth, the World Bank, show world population "leveling off"
>at less than 10 billion people.

Yeah, right. Malthus also envisioned the world population levelling off.

>  In other words, _today's_ rate of food
>supply is more than enough to feed future populations, even with no
>technology advance.  Of course, tech advance is not slowing; the
>green revolution continues, and genetic engineering for massive productivity
>gains is just around the corner.   The hoped-for day of ending world
>starvation may soon arrive, if it hasn't already.

You've got to be kidding. World starvation almost ended ? What planet are
you from? Take a junket travelling -- it will do you some good.

On PBS recently there was an excellent program on the "Green Revolution"
and its shortcomings. Besides the shaky foundations of reliance on
pesticides, the green revolution also has brought about a restriction in
the number of species used in the food supply. Only a handful of species
of grains, for example, make up virutally all of the grain supply in the
US. This makes the crops susceptible to a singular disaster or pest, as
the program pointed out happened to half the corn (?) crop in 1974.

By cultivating the few species that "green revolution" farmers are comfortable
with at the expense of indiginous species, species loss occurs rapidly. This
makes the world food supply more fragile, not more robust. In addition,
the species that are developed for the US grain belt are hardly suitable for
more than a short period in other situations. Dry soils, irregularly irrigated
lands, and other problems make crop selection a region-by-region problem.
The "green revolution" does not, in its present incarnation, have the
breadth to address these issues.

> For a 100% end to
>starvation, however, local distribution, not global food supply, is the
>limiting factor.

This is quite true.

>The World Bank's time-line is limited by their loan horizon, of course:
>they have not yet started projecting what happens after the "leveling off".

>I will certainly agree that overpopulation has been a problem, and
>continues to be so in some pockets of the world.  However, increasingly
>underpopulation is becoming a problem -- in Japan, where there is a
>severe shortage of young workers, in Hungary, where population is rapidly
>decreasing (by over 1%/year), in Amazonian tribes that are being given birth
>control and driven off their lands at the same time, and increasingly
>across most of the developed world, where retirement funds are coming
>under severe pressure as a first symptom.  We should not let overpopulation
>problems, severe as they have been and still are, keep us from seeing the
>problems of underpopulation that are starting to occur.  We pretty much
>know how to lick overpopulation; underpopulation is a difficult problem with
>which we have not yet come to grips.

I think that the world is underpopulated by clones of me. But that doesn't
mean there aren't too many other people in the world. The small-minded,
parochial view that one segment of society is more worthwhile than another
segment leads to all the racial, sexist, age-discriminatory, etc. problems
of our society. It also contributes to the overpopulation problem as a whole.

Another problem of underpopulation we have is of the animals of this planet.
And there is no question that the disappearance of non-human life on this
planet is directly related to the overpopulation of human life. The disappearance of the great apes, rhino, elephant, and other species daily is the direct
result of overpopulation of humans.

Many species can co-exist, but not with an attitude that the world is under-
populated. The facts are otherwise.

>--
>Nick Szabo			szabo@sequent.com
>"If you want oil, drill lots of wells" -- J. Paul Getty

"If you want lots of pollution, burn the oil."

william@lorien.newcastle.ac.uk (William Coyne) (04/05/91)

szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:

>In article <1991Mar29.112327.3031@desire.wright.edu> sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:

>I will certainly agree that overpopulation has been a problem, and
>continues to be so in some pockets of the world.  However, increasingly
>underpopulation is becoming a problem -- in Japan, where there is a
>severe shortage of young workers, in Hungary, where population is rapidly
>decreasing (by over 1%/year), in Amazonian tribes that are being given birth
>control and driven off their lands at the same time, and increasingly
>across most of the developed world, where retirement funds are coming
>under severe pressure as a first symptom.  We should not let overpopulation
>problems, severe as they have been and still are, keep us from seeing the
>problems of underpopulation that are starting to occur.  We pretty much
>know how to lick overpopulation; underpopulation is a difficult problem with
>which we have not yet come to grips.

The problem in Japan and other rich countries is not underpopulation, it is
there are an increasing number of old people and a decreasing proportion of
younger people, so fewer workers to pay the taxes which are used to finance
benefits for the old and very young.

    Potentially it could be a very good thing that there are not enough young
people in the richer countries if it means their companies will transfer some
work to the poorer countries.

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr4.090846@quercus.gsfc.nasa.gov>, karl@quercus.gsfc.nasa.gov (Karl Anderson) writes:
> In article <21472@crg5.UUCP>, szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:

> |> This is incredibly simplistic, since the _rate_ of population
> |> growth has been cut nearly in half in just the last 20 years, and
> |> continues to fall at a rate that is itself accelerating.  The people
> |> who have the most $$$ to lose/gain (and $$$ to spend studying) world
> |> population growth, the World Bank, show world population "leveling
> |> off" at less than 10 billion people.
>
> So whom should we believe, the World Population Data Sheet or the World
> Bank?  Are they related?  Who publishes the WPDS?  Does *anybody* have
> credible data on current world population growth rates?  Inquiring minds
> want to know 8^).
> --
> Karl A. Anderson		| Internet: karl@forest.gsfc.nasa.gov
> NASA/GSFC code 923 (STX)	| voice: (301) 286-3815
> Greenbelt, MD 20771		| #include "std_disclaimer"

The WPDS is from the class I am currently taking in Population Demographics.
I'll have to dig it out and give more info on it.  Actually there are three
projections on the sheet as to possible world population growth.  I'll get
back to the net with all the info....

sue

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr5.074139.23484@newcastle.ac.uk>, william@lorien.newcastle.ac.uk (William Coyne) writes:
> szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:
>
>>In article <1991Mar29.112327.3031@desire.wright.edu> sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:
>
>>I will certainly agree that overpopulation has been a problem, and
>>continues to be so in some pockets of the world.  However, increasingly
>>underpopulation is becoming a problem -- in Japan, where there is a
>>severe shortage of young workers, in Hungary, where population is rapidly
>>decreasing (by over 1%/year), in Amazonian tribes that are being given birth
>>control and driven off their lands at the same time, and increasingly
>>across most of the developed world, where retirement funds are coming
>>under severe pressure as a first symptom.  We should not let overpopulation
>>problems, severe as they have been and still are, keep us from seeing the
>>problems of underpopulation that are starting to occur.  We pretty much
>>know how to lick overpopulation; underpopulation is a difficult problem with
>>which we have not yet come to grips.
>
> The problem in Japan and other rich countries is not underpopulation, it is
> there are an increasing number of old people and a decreasing proportion of
> younger people, so fewer workers to pay the taxes which are used to finance
> benefits for the old and very young.
>
>     Potentially it could be a very good thing that there are not enough young
> people in the richer countries if it means their companies will transfer some
> work to the poorer countries.

Some how this got edited so that my statement was omitted and the entire
posting looks like I wrote it.  I didn't.  That was the reply to my posting.

sue Bishop

pamela@bu-bio.bu.edu (Pamela Hall) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr5.074139.23484@newcastle.ac.uk> william@lorien.newcastle.ac.uk (William Coyne) writes:
>szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:

>The problem in Japan and other rich countries is not underpopulation, it is
>there are an increasing number of old people and a decreasing proportion of
>younger people, so fewer workers to pay the taxes which are used to finance
>benefits for the old and very young.
>
>    Potentially it could be a very good thing that there are not enough young
>people in the richer countries if it means their companies will transfer some
>work to the poorer countries.

I believe that one of the problems in Japan is the very restrictive
immigration laws.  In other countries, vacant jobs that the citizens are
unwilling to hold, for a large variety of reasons often to do with low
wages and educational requirements, are filled by immigrants, often from
countries with larger and increasing numbers of young adults.  Japan's
underpopulation problem, as I read it, is mostly a lack of young adults
willing to work at low paying jobs that require little education.
Increasing the number of indigneous Japanese will not solve this problem
as these children will most likely also be educated and then also
unwilling to hold unskilled jobs.  Perhaps Japan needs to follow the
examples of other countries and invite immigrant laborers.  Of course
one can argue that all sorts of problems arise from such political
policies or on the other hand lots of good can come from a more
culturally diverse country.

As for companies moving sites to other countries in search of a labor
pool, there is at least one industry in Japan for which this is not
possible.  On a recent visit to Japan, I was told by Japanese foresters
that much of the Japanese timber production was under utilized because
of the lack of labor to care for and cut plantations.  Of course Japan
has partially "solved" this by importing huge quantities of timber from
southeast Asian countries that not only have forests, but large labor
pools to fell the forests.

Pamela Hall
pamela@bu-bio.bu.edu

dr@ducvax.auburn.edu (04/09/91)

A very long time ago (at the beginning of this thread),

In article <21376@crg5.UUCP>, szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:

  [population model stuff deleted]

> I haven't seen any evidence that humans have an innate desire to procreate
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> (as opposed to having sex and nurturing already existing offspring).  Again,
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I am not questioning the "should" of off-planet expansion: I am quite in
> favor of it. I am questioning the assumption of its inevitability, when
> evidence to date indicates that it cannot occur.
>

> --
> Nick Szabo			szabo@sequent.com
> "If you want oil, drill lots of wells" -- J. Paul Getty
> The above opinions are my own and not related to those of any
> organization I may be affiliated with.

What constitutes evidence?  The desire to have children, particularly one's
*own* children, is the most consistently occurring, most strongly stated goal
of adults throughout society.  This desire is so pervasive, so inescapably
self-evident that it is absolutely overwhelming.  Writers throughout the ages
have addressed this desire; it is a reasonable inference that they felt it is
the very core of the human experience.

Of course, one could argue that this is merely a personal impression, and
does not constitute evidence.  Still, this impression holds across social
and cultural classes, and this impression is held by almost everyone I've
chanced to meet, talk to, overhear, read postings of, etc. etc.  Admittedly,
one can avoid this impression by being a rock guitarist, or by socializing
exclusively with college students during mating season :).

	D.R.
David Roller       Bitnet = dr@auducvax    Internet = dr@ducvax.auburn.edu

szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr9.094513.3914@ducvax.auburn.edu> dr@ducvax.auburn.edu writes:

>In article <21376@crg5.UUCP>, szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:
>[No evidence that humans have innate desire to have children]

>What constitutes evidence?  The desire to have children, particularly one's
>*own* children, is the most consistently occurring, most strongly stated goal
>of adults throughout society.

More than love, job, money, status, religion, even cars, houses, vacations?
I don't think so.  It would be interesting to see polls on this topic,
though even a cultural desire to have children, or a cultural norm that
assumes one should want to have children, does not necessarily imply an
innate desire.  The decline of birth rates with effective birth control,
well below the maximization of offspring and even below replacement
levels, is strong evidence that there is no such innate instinct.  In
the non-birth-control environment in which our species evolved, there
was no need for such an instinct.  What we know about the genetics and
embryology of behavior indicates that the simplest solutions to a
problem will evolve, without foresight, rather than the more complex,
genetically improbable structures an abstract child-desire instinct
would require.  The desire for sex, up until this century for most
people, was sufficient for procreation.  It no longer is.

>This desire is so pervasive, so inescapably
>self-evident that it is absolutely overwhelming.

A pre-birth-control cultural assumption, actually based on
emotions and behaviors that come _after_ a child has been born.
The desire seems to be rather underwhelming when birth control enters
the picture.  Where birth control is most available, birth rates have
dropped to at or below replacement levels.  With fully reliable birth
control, we reach a rate of -50%/generation.  Hardly overwhelming.

> Writers throughout the ages
>have addressed this desire;

Writers and poets have written about sex and romance at least a
thousand times more often then they have written about a desire to
have children.  At least.  I can't even think of an example
of the latter.

--

doug@eris.berkeley.edu (Doug Merritt) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr4.153035.13052@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> vamg6792@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Vincent A Mazzarella) writes:
>szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:
>
>>population growth, the World Bank, show world population "leveling off"
>>at less than 10 billion people.
>
>Yeah, right. Malthus also envisioned the world population levelling off.

Malthus is completely discredited, you know. Simplistic model. That's
not to say that the planet can support an infinite population, of course!
Just that mentioning Malthus is unhelpful. Same with Club of Rome's
"The Limits to Growth".

Nick was completely correct in everything he said explicitly, although you
seemed to read some "politically incorrect thought" into his posting.
In particular, it's been observed empirically for fifteen to twenty years
that the rate of approach to zero population growth in countries is directly
proportional to the level of industrialization of the country. This trend
has continued in countries that have begun industrialization since the
observation was made, so it does not appear to be a coincidence of statistics.

The standard explanation is that, in preindustrial societies, it is beneficial
to have many children. The kids help with farming or milking or hunting and
gathering etc, and when the parents are old, the kids take care of them.
When the society is industrialized, the economics change, and it is no longer
necessary to have kids for economic reasons, and so people tend to have fewer.

I am aware that many people find this economic reasoning unintuitive, and
for all I know it may be wrong. But it is a fairly widely held view, and
the empirical facts remain even if the explanation is wrong.

Bottom line: empirically, it has been observed that the world is approaching
zero population growth, and the rate of approach is increasing. Figures of
a stable population near 10 billion have been accepted for a decade or two.
Don't substitute "common sense" for research.

>You've got to be kidding. World starvation almost ended ? What planet are
>you from? Take a junket travelling -- it will do you some good.

Since you both agree that the problem is one of food distribution, not
production, quibbling over his hope that this will be fixed soon seems
like a minor nitpick. Prior to the end of the Cold War, we all had reason
for general cynicism. Now there seems to be reason to hope for progress
in previously insoluble social problems, which is what food distribution
is/was.

>By cultivating the few species that "green revolution" farmers are comfortable
>with at the expense of indiginous species, species loss occurs rapidly. This
>makes the world food supply more fragile, not more robust.

Agreed. This could be solved, though.

>I think that the world is underpopulated by clones of me. But that doesn't
>mean there aren't too many other people in the world. The small-minded,
>parochial view that one segment of society is more worthwhile than another
>segment leads to all the racial, sexist, age-discriminatory, etc. problems
>of our society. It also contributes to the overpopulation problem as a whole.

His claim that *underpopulation* is a problem does not warrant this attack
on his views as "small-minded" and "parochial". He's probably right, but
you'll never find out why he thinks so by replying with that sort of knee-
jerk emotional reaction!

>And there is no question that the disappearance of non-human life on this
>planet is directly related to the overpopulation of human life. The
>disappearance of the great apes, rhino, elephant, and other species daily
>is the direct result of overpopulation of humans.
>
>Many species can co-exist, but not with an attitude that the world is under-
>populated. The facts are otherwise.

Incorrect. This is an assumption, or if you prefer, a theory. The "facts" are
that human activities are causing despeciation of the planet. Claiming that
the necessary and sufficient cause of such activities is "overpopulation"
is taking far too wild a leap. You would have to demonstrate that it is
impossible for the current world population to cease despeciation to establish
such a link, and I, for one, believe it's possible to maintain our current
population without causing further despeciation. It would simply be very
expensive (but worthwhile, IMO).
	Doug
Doug Merritt		doug@eris.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!eris!doug)
		or	uunet.uu.net!crossck!dougm